1. 1. Who could replace Rick Berman?

• Ron Moore
    • Michael Piller
    • Josh Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly)
    • J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5)
    • Rod Roddenberry
    • Rick Berman
    • Brannon Braga

I think by know we've all heard the rumours that Rick Berman may be removed as the head of Star Trek. This poll question is taken from TrekToday, I was curious to see what people here thought.

Here's the results on TrekToday:

Click For Spoiler

The numbers don't add up becasue I eliminated Crewman Daniels :frusty: from the poll.

I can't get in trouble for copying a poll can I? Or am I just paranoid?

(spoiler tag fixed)

Edited by Alterego

After tonight's episode, I say no one. The man makes good Trek, the problem is he got too comfortable. As soon as it looked like he might loose his "big chair", ENT got better. :frusty: I would like to see him retire as a franchise head after ENT though, perhaps Braga could take over for Series 6?

Ron Moore - Did wonders with DS9 and the 3rd season of Roswell.

Michael Piller - He'd deffinately bennefit Trek.

Josh Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly) - Ugh, I hated those shows, he'd end Trek for me.

J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5) - Borring!

Rod Roddenberry - Has he produced anything? :clap:

Rick Berman - He does good work when pressured.

Brannon Braga - Logical successor.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

In my opinion, it could only be Michael Piller. Working with Ronald Moore, they would get Trek back on track. They would also be greatly served by bring back Rene Echevarria, Naren Shankar, and Ira Stephen Behr. Those guys working without Rick Berman's interference, turned Deep Space Nine into the best Trek show IMO.

As for the others:

Josh Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly) – I loved Buffy and I watch Angel, but he’s not cut out for Trek.

J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5) – I never watched this show. Other than Trek, I don’t watch any other Sci-Fi. He is a decent writer however. His graphic novels ‘The Rising Stars’ are quite good, but leadership of the franchise? No way.

Rod Roddenberry – Never even heard of him.

Brannon Braga – If this nimrod became head of the franchise, Star Trek would die.

I voted for Michael Pillar. I was impressed by his work on DS9 and I think he captures the overall essence of Star Trek. Berman imo doesn't fully get it or really doesn't care outside of ST making money.

Manny Coto

Never should Josh Whedon be considered. If he was producer the series would become a teenfest dealing with angst, sex, relationships, break ups, and of course very bad dialogue. Star Trek is and always should be interlectual drama, JW would dumb it down.

Coto would be best served as a "contributor" to the franchise when it returns from it's break.

Piller, Moore and Behr are the ideal choices for creative leadership and direction.

I can't get in trouble for copying a poll can I? Or am I just paranoid?

(spoiler tag fixed)

120812[/snapback]

You're paranoid but considering the past 24 hours you're entitled to be. LOL

As for people named in this poll and a few others:

Ron Moore, Michael Piller, Brannon Braga, Rene Echevarria, Naren Shankar, and Ira Stephen Behr - All are now working on their owns series so availability would be a problem. I think of the group, Naren Shankar would have the most power and influence over the studio based on the fact he's co-executive producer of CSI.

Josh Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly) - No. I agree with TM.

J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5) - NO!!!!! This man would destroy Trek IMO.

Rod Roddenberry - Doubt he would do it even if they begged. His father is held up as a god-like figure by too many Trek fans and there is no way he could ever live up to the unrealistic expectations that would be put on him.

Rick Berman - I wouldn't have a problem with Rick Berman staying on. With all the studio interference he's had to put up with, it's amazing he's stayed this long.

Coto would be best served as a "contributor" to the franchise when it returns from it's break.

Piller, Moore and Behr are the ideal choices for creative leadership and direction.

348523[/snapback]

I disagree. I think Coto's inclusion in season 4 of Enterprise made it the best season of that show and saw some great stories even more in the mold of TOS. Personally I'd be quite happy for him to tale over the top job if Rick Berman did not come back.

I think if that happened it would be a disaster.

He's too "fanboyish" for my liking.

Coto may have improved ENT in its final season, but the first three seasons were so poor, that was like shooting fish in a barrel.

I think if that happened it would be a disaster.

He's too "fanboyish" for my liking.

Coto may have improved ENT in its final season, but the first three seasons were so poor, that was like shooting fish in a barrel.

348552[/snapback]

Well that's your opinion, not mine. I think his knowledge of Star Trek is a massive benefit, as seen in some of the great episodes last season, and for my money he could continue the good job.

I never doubt the guy's knowledge of Star Trek.

And the episodes he wrote and produced were certainly superior to Berman and Braga's efforts. Although IMO they were still poor.

But IMO, the next Star Trek project needs to be darker and more complex and that's why Behr, Moore and Piller need to be in charge of the creative direction of the franchise.

Coto can write episodes and be an influential voice on the creative team, but those three guys I mentioned should get the final say.

In that sense Coto would take a role similar to Naren Shankar who wrote the occasional episodes and acted as sort of contributor and consultant for the show.

I never doubt the guy's knowledge of Star Trek.

And the episodes he wrote and produced were certainly superior to Berman and Braga's efforts. Although IMO they were still poor.

But IMO, the next Star Trek project needs to be darker and more complex and that's why Behr, Moore and Piller need to be in charge of the creative direction of the franchise.

Coto can write episodes and be an influential voice on the creative team, but those three guys I mentioned should get the final say.

In that sense Coto would take a role similar to Naren Shankar who wrote the occasional episodes and acted as sort of contributor and consultant for the show.

348571[/snapback]

Well as I said, that is your opinion. Personally I completely disagree and think you are wrong but I respect your right to those views.