Episode Spotlight DS9

Season: 4

Episode No: 491

Episode Name: Hard Time

Director: Alexander Singer

Teleplay By: Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Story By: Daniel Keys Moran & Lynn Barker

Original Air Date: 04-15-1996

Miles O'Brien is arrested for espionage by the Argrathi and convicted for the crime. His sentence is to spend 20 years in one of their prisons.

The way the Argrathi prison system works is by implanting memories into the minds of their prisoners that will make them believe they were incarcerated for many years when in fact they have only been in custody for only a matter of a couple of hours. Chief O'Brien must nor reintegrate back into his real life on DS9. During his "years" in the prison his only friend was Ee'char, his cell mate. Now that he is back on DS9 Miles continues to see Ee'char in places around DS9, though no one else can see him.

PDVD_136.JPG

PDVD_131.JPG

PDVD_171.JPGPDVD_182.JPG

PDVD_199.JPGPDVD_200.JPG

Cast:

Avery Brooks as Captain Benjamin Sisko

Rene Auberjonois as Odo

Michael Dorn as Worf

Terry Farrell as Jadzia Dax

Cirroc Lofton as Jake Sisko

Colm Meaney as Miles O'Brien

Armin Shimerman as Quark

Alexander Siddig as Julian Bashir

Nana Visitor as Kira Nerys

Guest Cast:

Margot Rose as Rinn

Craig Wasson as Ee'char

Visit the STARTREKFANS.NET Episode Guide.

No comments on this episode? THis was one episode that my brother said he thought was incredible in concept. In fact he is developing an idea for a movie based on this concept. (Non Star Trek movie)

"Hard Time" is a gut-wrenching episode, that's for sure. As far as being a vehicle for Miles, it's excellent.

One part that I like about this one (but that I hate about some other eps - go figure) is that at the end, you know that it's not all solved, wrapped up in pretty little paper, and on to the next episode. It's something that's going to stay with Miles for ever, even after the memories fade a bit.

Have to feel badly, though, to be carrying those memories to begin with...

I think the character of Ee'char was a very interesting one. Even though he was only a figment of Miles' imagination it would have been interesting to have seen them bring him back in future episodes to "talk" to Miles.

I loved Hard time the first time i saw it i always felt bad for miles' cell mate at the end but it is quite possibly some of Colm's best acting in the series, i try to avoid the episode because of the way it makes me feel---depressed..

I loved Hard time the first time i saw it i always felt bad for miles' cell mate at the end but it is quite possibly some of Colm's best acting in the series, i try to avoid the episode because of the way it makes me feel---depressed..

I think it would have been great to see Ee'char pop up from time to time to "Advise" Miles. It would have been a nice touch to his continuing struggle with the ordeal.

Hard Time is such a fantastic episode and definitely one of my favorites. For me, it holds lots of symbolism and it relays a few contraversial issues. Miles believed that he had been held in that prison for twenty years, when in reality, it was only for a few hours. Everyone on the station tried to help him. However,they just couldn't reach him. They tried to understand what Miles 'believed' he had been through but they really had no idea. Even though they all knew that Miles had only experienced the prison for a few hours, he 'had' been there for much longer.

It also brings up the issue of mental health while being solitary confined for so long. Miles had been alone in that cell for so long that he conjured up another person that was just a figment of his own imagination. However, to Miles, Ee'char was 'real' and he helped him to cope with prison life. On the other hand, Ee'char was another 'part' of Miles coming to the surface in times of great hardship. I like to think that Ee'char was Miles' inner self. I found it interesting that Ee'char was an alien, when in fact, he really 'was' Miles.

Madam Captain out!!

Colm Meaney did such a fantastic job in this episode and I think it was one of his best episodes. I really like the character of O'Brien because he is just an ordinary guy and this makes him the perfect person to place in an extremely challenging situation. I really felt sorry for Miles during this episode because his memories of that prison cell would be with him for the rest of his life. He would have to learn to deal with these memories because they wouldn't just fade away after a certain period of time.

Madam Captain out!!