Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Ensign Mayweather

I've read different comments about how Travis never has a scene or a line other than sitting at the helm. Somehow this seemed painfully noticeable in Proving Ground - it would be the only detraction from that episode.

I can't say I particularly enjoyed "Fortunate Son" or "Horizon" but he was "in charge" during the rock climbing in "The Breach" even instructing superior officers.

So do TPTB notice how sad that is that this guy just sits there?

I think that we the fans need to bring this really important matter the TPTB's attention.

Travis deserves more screen time. It seems that even some of the non-bridge crew ensigns get more screentime then he does.

If this does not improve beyond season 3....

I think we should start a letter writing initiative or petition, etc.

Travis may be a "less important" character in terms of rank... buts he's a reocurring cast member credited in the opener!! He hardly gets enough screen time to mentioned in the opening credits.

I never really noticed that until after 'Twilight' when he had one scene where he got cooked during a Xindi attack. The thing is that he doesn't do much else. Other pilots have been interesting in there personality or had another skill that got them screen time. Sulu was a Captain in the making. Wesley was making his way to adulthood and was the Doctor's son. And Paris, well, need I say more. But Mayweather really fades into the background. Hopefully he'll gain some camera time at some point during the Xindi arc.

I think that we the fans need to bring this really important matter the TPTB's attention.

Travis deserves more screen time.  It seems that even some of the non-bridge crew ensigns get more screentime then he does.

If this does not improve beyond season 3....

I think we should start a letter writing initiative or petition, etc.

Travis may be a "less important" character in terms of rank... buts he's a reocurring cast member credited in the opener!!  He hardly gets enough screen time to mentioned in the opening credits.

Yes, I like that idea. I think we should do that.

I'm writing letters to support the show from time to time and I will add Travis to my next letters.

What I regret is that TPTB rarely used Mayweather's space boomer background to aid Enterprise. They used his experience on Enterprise to aid the Horizon and other space boomers. There was that "sweet spot" that he revealed to Trip. But for instance, they have never encountered a race that the space boomers had dealt with, but not the rest of Star Fleet.

Some have complained about AM's weak acting skills, but many trek actors have started out a little green, and later matured in their roles.

Some have complained about AM's weak acting skills, but many trek actors have started out a little green, and later matured in their roles.

I've probably made that comment before because a couple of his scenes have felt awkward....but I felt Jonathan Frakes was pretty mediocre his first season as well. He improved and he became a great director. And not being able to act doesn't limit Jolene Blalock's screen time.

And not being able to act doesn't limit Jolene Blalock's screen time.

:waaaa: :laugh: Agreed Agreed!!

As to Travis - well I don't think he gets a lot to develop does he? Having said that Sulu and Chekov didn't get tons but they certainly made their mark. I think the problem is that Mayweather is so 'featureless' as a character - I find I am not really interested in seeing more of him. It's a shame but either writers or Anthony need to inject a little 'oompf' into him to make him a character that we want to know more about.

Sure I'd like to see him do more but if all he ever does throughout the series is sit at helm (he is a good pilot) and say very little then that is fine with me. During my stint in the NAVY I stood helm watches, (chairs?? HA!) I know what it's like to be part of bridge activities and I see how Mayweathers duties are not that far away from realism. If anything, him getting to go on away team missions is more unrealistic than you might think.

I would like to see Travis get some more screentime as well. Not to mention Hoshi and Reed.

remember how Reed kicked major vulcan-zombie tail? man that was cool