Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Trip's favorite pie

In Similitude "Sim" indicated he just remembered Key Lime pie was his favorite - did he mean it was Trip's favorite? But in Season one Trip made a big deal about Pecan pie. Gotta go with Sim on this.....love Key Lime pie.

But what is Trip's favorite pie?

Trip did make a big deal out of Pecan Pie in season one. So I thought it was his favorite..Can't have 2 favorites..Another Trek error.. :rolleyes:

Maybe it was an error... or...

Maybe the writers were just attempting to subtly show that Sim was different from Trip, at least in one dimension.

Maybe it was just too subtle for Trek fans.

At any rate, he certainly did mention the pecan pie preference in a way that was hard to forget. I doubt the writers could make this kind of mistake. Otherwise why would they choose to make a reference to another type of pie? If they'd really forgotten, surely they'd say Sim liked some kind of cake, jello, chocolate, cookies, any other form of dessert or perhaps that he didn't like sweet foods at all.

In Breaking the Ice, Trip said about Pecan Pie: 'It's been my favourite since I was a kid.' You could take that in one of two ways.

1) That there is a descrepancy between this episode and Similitude. Maybe a mistake, or maybe a subtle hint that Sim wasn't Trip on some levels.

2) That Trip's favourite was Key Lime Pie as a kid, but Pecan Pie since he was a kid. B)

The truth is that Connor Trinneer felt Trip's 'Pan Fried Catfish' and 'Pecan Pie' were making the character seem a yokel, (hayseed-insert your simple-minded country folk word of choice :rolleyes: ), and he told the producers he never wanted to see the words Pecan Pie in a script again.

My guess is that they put Key Lime Pie into the script to get him back.

Wow..I didn't realize it was so complicated...I've noticed errors in TNG and

often wondered why "THEY" don't see it or figure we won't. :)

The truth is that Connor Trinneer felt Trip's 'Pan Fried Catfish' and 'Pecan Pie' were making the character seem a yokel, (hayseed-insert your simple-minded country folk word of choice :) ), and he told the producers he never wanted to see the words Pecan Pie in a script again.

If he thinks so poorly of Southerners then I guess he rather not have me as a fan. And I was a major fan - the arrogant.........

NoTheUnicornHunter, Connor Trinneer doesn't think badly of Southerners at all. In fact his mother's family come from the South and he's very proud of that side of his heritage.

What he said was that, just because Trip comes from the South, doesn't mean he should be stereotyped into certain patterns of behaviour. He felt Trip had been given too many 'he's from the Southern States of the USA,' pointers, like the Pecan Pie, Pan Fried Catfish and the harmonica. He thinks being Southern is who Trip is and where he comes from, not a set of foods and behaviours that people outside the South would think of as 'Southern'. After all Picard didn't have to eat frogs legs and snails to be French, nor O'Brien have to drink Guinness and say 'Begorrah, begorrah,' in every sentence to be Irish.

After all, why shouldn't a good ol' country boy like Steak Diane, chololate mousse and play the cello? Personally I loved those aspects of Trip like the Pecan Pie, but Connor plays Trip and wants the best for his character and was irritated that the Chief Engineer and Commander aspects were being overshadowed by the 'Farmboy' stereotypes.

And if you were a Southerner and your favourite tipple was, for example, Semillion Chardonnay, and I came over and told you, 'you shouldn't have that. You should drink beer and moonshine. Because that's what Southerners are,' you'd be pretty mad at that kind of simple-minded boxing of people too.

Connor felt that Trip deserves more than to be a cookie-cutter Southerner. Trip's too complex.

I'm sorry if you feel that's arrogant. :)

Edited by Trinneergirl

I noticed this too Unicorn Hunter - I too thought Trip was a pecan pie fan. I don't suppose it's the first continuity error.

I also read that Connor wanted to see the references to such things done away with - I bet he was delighted to see the demise of the harmonica in North Star. It does seem like a bit of an over reaction, I mean it is such things that tie you to place and are part of your character. I don't suppose Patrick Stewart or Dominic Keating are so touchy about all the tea they drink - it just makes them English.

What he said was that, just because Trip comes from the South, doesn't mean he should be stereotyped into certain patterns of behaviour.  He felt Trip had been given too many 'he's from the Southern States of the USA,' pointers, like the Pecan Pie, Pan Fried Catfish and the harmonica. 

I have to agree about the harmonica - it is not typical of the South (maybe bluegrass but not the South in general)- to me he seems more like the kind who's mom made him take piano. It's not uncommon for engineers to be musically gifted as well. Can't you just see this eight year old kid dying to take something apart and put it back but instead mom makes you practice the piano.

Now that you bring up the subject I did have someone once ask how I developed an interest in classical music. I guess that was a sort of regionally biased question.

Thanks for the clarification, all is right with the world again, I certainly wouldn't want to be upset with Connor.

But I do occasionally like a piece of pecan pie...Key Lime is my favorite though and definitely more distinctive of Florida.

I agree with spacetrigger on this one another trek error it is thats a lot of stuff to put up with for directors and editors and stuff but it's not gonna kill anyone just somethen to think about :cloud9:

Thanks for the clarification, all is right with the world again, I certainly wouldn't want to be upset with Connor.

But I do occasionally like a piece of pecan pie...Key Lime is my favorite though and definitely more distinctive of Florida.

I have to admit as a Midlander/ Southerner - of the UK that is - I have no idea what either of them are!

Pecan Pie sounds kinda obvious, though the one Trip ate in Breaking the Ice looked like a sort of toffee tart with pecans on top. Key Lime Pie... nah you've got me. Is it like a lemon-maringue pie?

You see, I had no idea they are meant to be regional foods! I knew about grits, (they sound revolting!), but otherwise I hadn't a clue! :cloud9:

All I know is you can't get a decent bread cob in the South! (er, UK South that is!) :cloud9:

Trinneergirl,

Pecan pie is a sweet gooey cooked sugar mix with pecans on top. It is really too sweet to eat much. Key Limes are limes specific to the Florida keys - sweeter than your basic lime. There are two versions to the pie, if you don't whip the egg whites it is quite similar to a lemon meringue in texture. I whip the egg whites and it has a creamier texture. You can buy bottled key lime juice if you can't purchase the limes fresh.

Key Lime recipes

Pecan Pie recipe

I love grits - they're a little like cream of wheat - a little heavier in texture and of course made from corn rather than wheat.

Those are really "normal" foods - however, if someone offers you chitlins you might want to run

Click for Spoiler:

fried pig intestines

Okay your turn, bread cob :cloud9:

If Trip is from Florida then it would be Key Lime Pie, now if he was from Georgia then it would be Pecan Pie.

Hey, I'm from Alabama and two of my favorite foods are Pecan Pie and Key Lime Pie. Others include gumbo, etoufee, fried catfish, fried gulf shrimp, fried flounder...

If Trip is from Florida then it would be Key Lime Pie, now if he was from Georgia then it would be Pecan Pie.

Hey, I'm from Alabama and two of my favorite foods are Pecan Pie and Key Lime Pie. Others include gumbo, etoufee, fried catfish, fried gulf shrimp, fried flounder...

Notice repetitive use of the word 'fried' - fried squash, fried tomatoes, fried bologna, fried eggplant, fried okra, fried chicken, fried cornbread, pan fried pototoes, fried hushpuppies, fried corn fritters, chicken fried steak......

Thanks for the recipies the unicorn hunter, they both look delicious! :laugh:

That there Trip's got taste! I like a man with a sweet tooth, particularly when there's no sign of it going on his waist. (mutters: 'lucky devil').

As for fried foods, in parts of Northern England and Scotland they have deep fried Mars bars - in batter! Honest.

And of course there's black pudding...

Click for Spoiler:

a mixture of ox-blood, oatmeal, suet and seasoning, enclosed in a sausage skin.

Lovely stuff.