Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Watch Opportunity land live

Very fascinating! B) However, I don't see why they got excited enough to scream out with excitement. B)

It's because these missions aren't just thrown together on a whim. They take years of planning and even then you aren't guaranteed that things will work properly. Look at the Beagle that was lost and all of the other missions that were sent to Mars and never heard from again.

It's a very stupendous thing to be able to land on another planet like this and if you've worked on it for several years then it's only natural to have a release of emotion.

I put it on with the NASA channel, the internet feed seems about 20 seconds off. But it's a great picture for an internet transmission.

The quality did improve when they started playing it on Realplayer rather that WMP. The added delay is relatively new to the live programming shown, I still don't fully understand the reason for the delay especially the for coverage of a probe landing. Some have said the delay is so when a shuttle mission is flying they can interrupt the signal for a moment when a UFO gets in the picture.

Very fascinating!  B) 

Fun huh. B) I always get a kick outta watching these things live. I'm happy you tuned in to share the event with me. B) You too VBG.