Sign in to follow this  
welfconfed

In defense of Captain Jellico

Jellico wasn't a very good captain. He didn't have much respect for the crew.

He did. His command style was hard on the senior staff. When he gave out an order, which none where unlawful, he wanted them to be carried out without any questions. For example, Jelico order Riker to get another duty section on the bridge within certain time frame. This order was not out of line or unlawful. In reality extra duty team would free up time for those who are on the bridge. Riker instead asked each department head if could spear someone for the bridge rotation. Of course they would say no that don't extra personal for duty section. Riker should had order the department heads to give the one person for the rotation. Captain Jelico order was not obeyed and no extra duty team was done. When Jelico found out the order was not carried through he question Riker about it. Riker stated he couldn't get the departments give up the extra person. Jelico was disappoint in Riker and told him to carry out the order. Riker than question Jelico in the open about that order in front of junior officers. That was a big mistake! If there was a problem with the order Riker should had said privately, and a lot sooner, about it.

Every time I see COC I and II, I have more respect for Jellico, and less respect for Riker. Riker really was an Arrogent *buttocks* in this episode, while Jellico was trying to avert a major conflict and succeeded. The only thing I didn't liek about jellico was that he didn't have time to talk to the crew, but he had time to hang decorate the ready room. Other than that, Jellico was a great captain.

I hated Jellico. He made me so angry :clap: His style was overbearing and he had no sympathy for what the crew felt. He's a souless jerk.

By the way, did anyone notice pictures that where drawn by his children or grandchildren in the ready room?

Going to bump this topic by answering Odie's question.

I did notice the drawings. At the start of the scene where he tells Deanna to start wearing the standard uniform he shows her a picture that he says was drawn by his son. He said he thought it was an elephant but wasn't quite sure.

I had tremendous respect for Jellico. He is exactly the type of captain I would want to serve under.

I've never really liked Picard or Riker's command styles. Too familiar with their crew. Especially Riker.

Edited by APW

The only thing I didn't like about Jellico was that he had no tact and no way with words. That made him come off as disrespectful and uncaring. Other than that, you figure he was one of the few who knew exactly both Picard's mission, and the stakes were based on the various outcomes of the mission.

The only thing I didn't like about Jellico was that he had no tact and no way with words. That made him come off as disrespectful and uncaring.

Maybe that's why I like him so much. I'm the same way 85% of the time.

:clap:

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and Jellico was one of the reasons for that. He was an awesome leader, the perfect dose of reality for Riker & Co. Picard's fine, too, but Jellico was way more professional and demanded more professionalism from the crew. Just get it done (and shut up).

I loved LOVED the entire interchange with Deanna when he told her to go put on a regulation uniform. Priceless.

Hm, I don't like his command style. Maybe it's because he's just... out of place somehow. He doesn't belong to that crew and onto that ship into that chair. The Enterprise D is an exploring vessel, not a warship. His command style may be excellent for military, but not for a ship full of families, other civillians and officers that are used to a different captain.

That's just my opinion :clap: , I might be too much used to another captain on that chair :laugh:

Mrs. Captain Picard

I agree that his style was not as appropriate for an exploratory vessel or one with families.

I think his command style would have worked on the short term but not on the long term. People would have gotten sick of him and everyone would have been begging for a transfer.

I totally agree that long term crewmwmbers would have lined up to transfer to another ship.

Actually, that actor has pretty much played an (Ignore me, I'm using profanity) in all his roles. He is quite good at it. :clap:

Yes, generally he plays someone who is rude, obnoxious, and a bit power hungry imo

The only thing I didn't like about Jellico was that he had no tact and no way with words. That made him come off as disrespectful and uncaring.

I had a boss like that who was had no tact and no way with words. I put up with it for years, and wish I had walked away far earlier. He was AWFUL!

Takara's note: I've only fixed codes.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Well, Starfleet is the military as well, though most officers like Picard seem to enjoy ignoring that fact.

All I can say is, is that if I were heading into battle I'd rather have a hard charger like Jellicoe in the center seat than either Picard or Riker.

I think if pre-Dominion War/Borg Incursion Starfleet had acted more military and less "We're all a bunch of happy explorers", things would not have gone so poorly for the Federation in the opening days of the Dominion War, or in the various encounters with the Borg.

In some ways Jellicoe reminded me of Chris Pike. Another character I enjoy (in the paperback novels, anyway).

Edited by APW