Sign in to follow this  

I am just wondering if any of the American members will go and see the upcoming movie "Miracle". Basically, it is another movie on the Miracle on Ice, which was the US Olympic team defeating the Soviet team in the semi-finals of the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid. The U.S. then went on to defeat the Finnish team in the finals for the gold.

So, is there any interest among the American or members from other nations? And if so, is that interest based on a hockey or patriotic standpoint?

Here's the site:

Miracle Home page

Frankly, I don't have any interest in seeing this movie. Why would I pay to see an American team win when I can't stand to watch it on television for free (Darn World Juniors). I'm a little curious to see how good of a 'hockey movie' this is. There aren't too many movies that do hockey realistically. I mean, there's the Mighty Ducks movies (Crap) and Most Valuable Primate (More Crap). There are the Slap Shot movies, I've never seen them because they come off a little goofy. The best would probably be Mystery, Alaska.

Oh, and sorry if I came off the wrong way. I don't want to turn this into a cross border shouting match like the Miracle message board on the Internet Movie Database.

I really don't have any desire to see this movie. It just doesn't look that interesting to me. It was exciting to watch those games when they happened but this movie just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.. As you said Jack there really hasn't been a good hockey movie..However I found Slapshot to be a scream and enjoyed it's wacky humor..

I'll see it, but I'm not sure if I will enjoy it. It's an American movie and that's it. I enjoy the movies but sometimes I feel that they make them so patriotic that members from other nations don't connect with them. I'd still like to see it though.

This is a movie that is really made specifically for Americans, Americans that were around at the time of the 1980 Winter Olympics. I wouldn't expect any international interest.

As most of you know I am not a hockey fan, but in 1980 (when I was 10 years old) I was a huge hockey fan for 2 weeks in February. Not just that one game but from the first to the last, I watched them all.

You also have to have some understanding of what was happening in the world in 1979/1980 to understand the American psyche of the day. The Vietnam war had only ended less then 6 years earlier, our President was forced to resign his office less then 6 years earlier, we had American's being held hostage in Iran and we were in the midst of a cold war with the Soviet Union. Not to mention all of the economic ills we were suffering at the time. That Hockey game against our biggest "arch rival" in the world was HUGE.

Think of it like this, a Canadian high school football team (American football) plays the NFL's Super Bowl champion and beats them. Would that have an impact on Canadian pride? Our Hockey team of the day was a bunch of college kids, most in their very early 20's and they played the best team in the world and beat them.

Will this be an overly patriotic movie for the USA? Probably, but it wasn't made for Canadians or Mexicans or Russians or Germans. It was made for Americans. it was made for me. The me that was a 10 year old little boy that only knew of a world where Americans were taken hostage in foreign lands, where America "lost" a war we shouldn't have been in in the first place and where our President had to resign in disgrace. For that 10 year old boy, the "Miracle on Ice" was the first time that something give him pride in his country, pride to be American.

Yes, I'll see the movie and I'll cheer just as loudly for them as I did that night they played. And I hope it's unabashedly, unashamedly completely roll your eyes sappily patriotic because that's what that moment in history was for me and for many Americans.

There are some things that Americans take special pride in, these things shouldn't be viewed with contempt by citizens of other nations, this is one of those things. Let us have it, let us celebrate it. Celebrate it with us in friendship if you wish to but don't try to take it away from us.

This is a movie that is really made specifically for Americans, Americans that were around at the time of the 1980 Winter Olympics. I wouldn't expect any international interest.

As most of you know I am not a hockey fan, but in 1980 (when I was 10 years old) I was a huge hockey fan for 2 weeks in February. Not just that one game but from the first to the last, I watched them all.

You also have to have some understanding of what was happening in the world in 1979/1980 to understand the American psyche of the day. The Vietnam war had only ended less then 6 years earlier, our President was forced to resign his office less then 6 years earlier, we had American's being held hostage in Iran and we were in the midst of a cold war with the Soviet Union. Not to mention all of the economic ills we were suffering at the time. That Hockey game against our biggest "arch rival" in the world was HUGE.

Think of it like this, a Canadian high school football team (American football) plays the NFL's Super Bowl champion and beats them. Would that have an impact on Canadian pride? Our Hockey team of the day was a bunch of college kids, most in their very early 20's and they played the best team in the world and beat them.

Will this be an overly patriotic movie for the USA? Probably, but it wasn't made for Canadians or Mexicans or Russians or Germans. It was made for Americans. it was made for me. The me that was a 10 year old little boy that only knew of a world where Americans were taken hostage in foreign lands, where America "lost" a war we shouldn't have been in in the first place and where our President had to resign in disgrace. For that 10 year old boy, the "Miracle on Ice" was the first time that something give him pride in his country, pride to be American.

Yes, I'll see the movie and I'll cheer just as loudly for them as I did that night they played. And I hope it's unabashedly, unashamedly completely roll your eyes sappily patriotic because that's what that moment in history was for me and for many Americans.

There are some things that Americans take special pride in, these things shouldn't be viewed with contempt by citizens of other nations, this is one of those things. Let us have it, let us celebrate it. Celebrate it with us in friendship if you wish to but don't try to take it away from us.

Very well said, VBG. Damn, I love the way you write!!

Very well said, VBG. Damn, I love the way you write!!

Thanks, that event is one of (if not the) earliest moments in my mind that I can think back on that kind of allowed me to stick my chest out a little further and hold my chin a little higher just because I'm American.

I know it was just a sporting event and in the big scheme of things really means very little, but in February 1980 it sure meant a whole lot to a 10 year old boy in Riverdale, Maryland. (Guess I should say 11 year old boy, it was only about a week later that I had my 11th birthday lol)

That was a great story VBG. Be proud. Everyone should be proud of their home country. And as long as the hockey is better than how the Oilers are playing lately I might actually go to it just to see some hockey played with effort. B)

That was a great story VBG. Be proud. Everyone should be proud of their home country. And as long as the hockey is better than how the Oilers are playing lately I might actually go to it just to see some hockey played with effort.  :lol:

I don't know how much they might actually focus on the playing of Hockey, you might see some but I think the movie will be more about the behind the scenes stuff like Practices and locker room interaction, that kind of thing. There will of course be some Hockey but I would guess that only a small portion will be actual hockey.

Oh for sure. If people wanted to see 100% hockey, they would turn on the TV and watch it for free. To make a sports story interesting, you need good, developed characters. I was just trying to throw in a little joke to lighten my mood on how bad the Oilers have been playing this season. Ever since the Heritage Classic they have sucked.

This was an awesome movie. It wasn't too patriotic but that was there. It was more about how the team was formed, how they were molded and how they came together. It was really the Herb Brooks story. I think any hockey fan will really enjoy this movie for the hockey and non hockey fans will enjoy it for it's story. Knowing it's a true story makes it even better.

Kurt Russell was brilliant in this and without him I don't know if it would have been as good as it was.

I don't believe there will ever be a moment like this again, not now that professionals are allowed to play.

My suggestion to everyone that likes to go to the movies is to go see this movie. If you don't like going then get the DVD when it comes out.

You won't be sorry.

This was an awesome movie. It wasn't too patriotic but that was there. It was more about how the team was formed, how they were molded and how they came together. It was really the Herb Brooks story. I think any hockey fan will really enjoy this movie for the hockey and non hockey fans will enjoy it for it's story. Knowing it's a true story makes it even better.

Kurt Russell was brilliant in this and without him I don't know if it would have been as good as it was.

I don't believe there will ever be a moment like this again, not now that professionals are allowed to play.

My suggestion to everyone that likes to go to the movies is to go see this movie. If you don't like going then get the DVD when it comes out.

You won't be sorry.

I just got back from seeing it.

It was an excellent movie. And I thought it would be one of those movies that say that America is the best country ever and continually throws it in your face, but it was not. It was very entertaining.

4.5/5

Yes, This Canadian member will go see it , because I'm a hockey fan, and looks like it's a great movie telling a great hockey story.

That was a great story VBG. Be proud. Everyone should be proud of their home country. And as long as the hockey is better than how the Oilers are playing lately I might actually go to it just to see some hockey played with effort.  :lol:

Bytsy...we should see this movie together...lol

P.S.

Click for Spoiler:

Don't be so hard are your Oilers girl!

well im canadian and dont really like hockey.. i asked my borther if he was going to se it cuz he really likes hockey and he said no.. just cuz it was about american hockey.. does any body else find something odd about that or is it just a guy thing to only go see stuff that has to do with exactly what he likes.. cuz i know hes eventualy going to see it.. maybe its a pride thing.. i remeber him saying something abuot non of his friends going.. :lol: man my brother is compex.. ok you know what just ignore this post... ;)

lol

:laugh:

Click for Spoiler:

OMG...I'm laughing so hard I can barely type.....my son and my husband think I've lost it.

:assimilated::assimilated:

Click for Spoiler:

I really am sorry!

I will definitely be going to see the movie, when I can spare the time. I say that because even though I remember the event very well and it brings some memories to the forefront, it's just not that high on my to do list. I was but a 23 year old engineer at the time living in Madison, Wis., a huge hockey town due to the fact that the hockey Badgers were perennial contenders for the NCAA hockey crown. You couldn't go anywhere in Madison without seeing some hockey reference anywhere you looked. Also, two former Badgers were on the team, Mark Johnson and Gary Suter. And, strange as this sounds, I have yet to see the game as it was played. Oh, I've seen the highlights and watched the condensed version of the game on ESPN classic, but I never saw the game as it unfolded for the US audience at the time it was broadcast. The reason for this was at the time I was a very horny young man and had made a date that February 22nd, a friday, to go take part in a showing of the "Rocky Horror Picture show" with a group of friends and our dates. When we left the theater the whole city was in the midst of a celebration so naturally, we joined in as well. Needless to say, the whole evening went as planned and everyone went to sleep happy, (draw your own conclusions). So even though I never saw the game as it happened, I'll see the movie and partake in the dramatic re-telling of a true american success story but since I already know the outcome, it's not a huge priority for me to go see it now.

Edited by xenexian

I already have. One of the best movies I've ever seen. Russel did a great job, and it was a great movie just portraying one of sporting event's greatest moments in history.