Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Will "Star Trek" survive over-saturation?

I've composted a timeline for each series. If you notice, we started having loads of Trek when we had two shows at once, but since DS9 ended, we've been having less Trek. If Trek continues with only one show at a time with the occasional movie, do you think it could survive without needing a break?

Here's the timeline:

1966-67 STAR TREK – Season 1

1967-68 STAR TREK – Season 2

1968-69 STAR TREK – Season 3

1979 THE MOTION PICTURE

1982 THE WRATH OF KAHN

1984 THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

1986 THE VOYAGE HOME

1989 THE FINAL FRONTIR / TNG

1991 THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY / TNG

1987-88 THE NEXT GENERATION – Season 1

1988-89 THE NEXT GENERATION – Season 2

1989-90 THE NEXT GENERATION – Season 3 / ST-5

1990-91 THE NEXT GENERATION – Season 4

1991-92 THE NEXT GENERATION – Season 5 / ST-6

1992-93 THE NEXT GENERATION – Season 6 / DS9

1993-94 THE NEXT GENERATION – Season 7 / DS9

1994 GENERATIONS / DS9

1996 FIRST CONTACT / DS9 & VOY

1998 INSURRECTION / DS9 & VOY

2002 NEMESIS / ENT

1993 STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE – Season 1 / TNG

1993-94 STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE – Season 2 / TNG

1994-95 STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE – Season 3 / VOY / ST-7

1995-96 STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE – Season 4 / VOY

1996-97 STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE – Season 5 / VOY / ST-8

1997-98 STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE – Season 6 / VOY

1998-99 STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE – Season 7 / VOY / ST-9

1995 STAR TREK: VOYAGER – Season 1 / DS9

1995-96 STAR TREK: VOYAGER – Season 2 / DS9

1996-97 STAR TREK: VOYAGER – Season 3 / DS9 / ST-8

1997-98 STAR TREK: VOYAGER – Season 4 / DS9

1998-99 STAR TREK: VOYAGER – Season 5 / DS9 / ST-9

1999-00 STAR TREK: VOYAGER – Season 6

2000-01 STAR TREK: VOYAGER – Season 7

2001-02 STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE – Season 1

2002-03 STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE – Season 2 / ST-10

2003-04 STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE – Season 3

The itallics represent what show/movie was out durring the season/movie of the TV series. What do you think? Does it look like Trek might recover from over-saturation?

I think the series might be able to use a break. I hope Enterprise goes the full seven seasons, but probably after Enterprise is over, they could go a while with out a series or a movie. That's the real problem right now, is that there is now way that DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise will be able to be fully utilized in terms of movie vaulue. I think TNG could use another film, just to give it a good end. I don't see to many movies coming out of DS9 or Voyager, because they would be so close.

With the original series movies, it was the only Star Trek matierial that the fans would see for that three years. Now it's just something else to watch in between other episodes. I would love to see Enterprise movies however. That's why I hope it lasts. Then the series could use a respite so that we can truely apreciate what Star Trek means to us. And then the writers will have all kinds of time to let new ideas set it, and come out with a spectacualar series*.

*this last sentence was not ment to put down Enterprise down at all

i think we need to bring in a series from post Voyager, now. So we have two parallels going....but get it off UPN, my feeling is that they are sinking and taking good shows with them.

i think we need to bring in a series from post Voyager, now.  So we have two parallels going....but get it off UPN, my feeling is that they are sinking and taking good shows with them.

Actually, I believe having 2 Trek shows at once is what began the fall of Trek via over-saturation. I think 2-5 years for a break, then move on to series 6, which I believe should be 30 or so years after ENT or the early 23rd century.

ok, but i think we need to return to the "current year" that is 2380....there's still a heck of alot of exploring to do

ok, but i think we need to return to the "current year" that is 2380....there's still a heck of alot of exploring to do

I disagree. As much as I enjoyed the 24th century Trek, after 3 shows spanning 14 years, I think it's time to move on. However, I'd still like to see a few more movies in this time perriod. :(

I agree Cap! I think we should either go to the 25th century or the very last years of the 23rd. Their are several gaps in the 23 rd century. I think ST needs a break. I was surprised that tptp rushed another series into production so soon after Voy ended.

I rather liked the over-saturation of Trek, from a short term view, but then I only started watching Star Trek towards the end of TNG so I don't know no better or different. :lol: I see your point CJLP on over-saturation being bad for the Trek franchise as a whole, so I agree we could use a year or two rest.

I would say I would much prefer around 2380 for the sixth series timeline. Again, this is because the main series I have watched are TNG, DS9 and VOY. I've just fallen too much in love with the Akria's, the Intrepid's and the Lydia's...

Maybe the TV series in the 24th century and the movies in the 23rd? ;)

I think it might be interesting if Starfleet could find a way to mimic caretaker's technology, and have a starbase in the Delta Quadrant. In a few more years after Voyager.

Oh come on now. Let the people do their jobs, would ya! :lol:

What's the matter with having an idle chat about the furture of Star Trek, a thing we very much love? It's not like we think that we are running the franchise.

At least, I don't. :lol:

I don't see over saturation as the problem.

The problem is with hardheaded fans who are so full of hatred towards ENT they spend every free moment talking smack about it on MBs.

These people are doing much damage by affecting the judgment of newcomers to Trek by swaying the newbie opinions towards the negative, it's happening at ST.com right now.

Yes, I'm sorry to say I had a similar opinion about ENT, but I had only watched it once. Now that I see it more I like it, nd would like to apologize to anyone I've offended.