Sign in to follow this  
ikapacho

Dune and Matrix fans...

Heres a little fun for us all... Try to think of all the similarities between the book/movies of Dune and the Matrix movies.

My first one is the fact that the machines take over... (The entire plot of Matrix, and the reason for the butlerian jihad in Dune)

:)

The bennegerserate sisterhood was to be a breeding program, the Guild through the math to find the answers and the Mentat were the human computers. Though the two rival schoos were the sisterhood and the Guild, the mantats were at the side of every royal, save the emporor :)

a bit more indept, the savior (neo and Paul Mua'dhib) dissapears, presumably dead. At the end of the third matrix, neo appears dead but the oracle sais something about we'll probably be seeing him again, in dune, Paul dissapears into the dessert, only to return as the blind prophet.

Another thing is prescience, and the dependence upon it. The oracle is extremely important to the goals of neo and morpheus, and one of the bene gesserit society's goals is to yield their Qwissatz Haderach, a male reverend mother that happens to have the ability of prescience.

this said, keep them coming, and correct me if I'm wrong. :(

The bennegerserate sisterhood was to be a breeding program, the Guild through the math to find the answers and the Mentat were the human computers.  Though the two rival schoos were the sisterhood and the Guild, the mantats were at the side of every royal, save the emporor :(

OK, it breaks down like this.

After the Butlerian Jihad, at the end of which all machines were outlawed (although the definition of "machine"gradually grew more lax until eventually all that was outlawed was artificial intelligence, although I could be wrong on this), various "schools" sprang up to tale their place. Of these schools, the Bene Geserit and the Spacing Guild are the only survivors at the time of Dune.

The Mentats had their own training program, but since Mentat training did not exist until after the founding of the other schools they are not considered one. Also, the Bene Geserit and Spacing Guild have their own goals and function as their own organizations. The Mentats do not.

I believe Shadam IV had a cousin that was a Mentat but it wasn't a major character. Then again I haven't read the book since 1989 so I could be wrong.

Edited by lt_van_roy

Also, both Neo and Leto the Second were blinded and were able to see without sight.

Sorry, Abakai2003 didnt realize that you had already said this...

My bad...

:cool: