Sign in to follow this  
hangon

ST.COM

WOULD YOU GO BACK?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. WOULD YOU GO BACK?

• YES
    • NO

I disagree with that. ST.com is a joke to be quite blunt. I have been to many websites in my day and i have never seen such rude,despicable people as i have at ST.com.(don't get me wrong, there are nice people there also,but they are in the minority to say the least)

Define "rude" though. What one person considers rude may be perfectly acceptable to others.

For example, i have seen others get quite personal and vulgar in their attacks and have nothing done to discourage this behavior, meanwhile the victims of these attacks usually end up having their accounts "deactivated" Imo, very ghastly indeed.

My cousin posts on the official website. He has never mentioned any problems. Members on that site tend to have enormous post counts which suggests that account deactivation is not very common.

After about 8 years at ST.com i found this place and have forever left that site far behind. The people here are very cool and treat each other with respect,plus everyone has a good time. Without a doubt, my fave of all star trek websites.

"Treating each other with respect" could actually be a case rather of people posting things in order to please others. For example Member A says something. Member B is offended. So the next time Member A posts something, they dilute it in order to avoid offending someone else. But since offense is often in the eye of the beholder, it can have the effect of creating a "safe" and bland environment where no one is willing to post their honest opinions for fear of upsetting others, which I don't think is particularly constructive.

:Your arrogance is quite profound(no offense) but it comes out in your post. :P But, since you asked the question, Rude on ST.com would be when one person posts something and another rather blatantly calls that person vulgar names ( You don't fool me, even you should know what rude is).I have seen it done many times. I also had a high post count,much like your "cousin".Its not about quantity, its about quality :P Anyways, a great many members there at ST.com have junk posts in the 10F section of the msg boards where anything but Star Trek is discussed. So really, your equating high posts with a low deactivation rate is mere speculation, hardly the domain of a "undiluted" person as yourself,right? :huh:

Your rather tepid argument that creating a "safe" environment is not "constructive" is hardly appropriate in this context. If you do not like the respect shown here, then perhaps you should go where you "feel" you can give an "honest " opinion. The only problem you'll have with that is at least here you will be afforded respect whereas at ST.com, you will be chewed up and spit out. Was that an honest enough answer for you? I hope so. I wouldn't want to take away from your perceived "creativity" here. :P :VBGal2:

:Your arrogance is quite profound(no offense) but it comes out in your post.

How so?

But, since you asked the question, Rude on ST.com would be when one person posts something and another rather blatantly calls that person vulgar names ( You don't fool me, even you should know what rude is).

Please tell me you are not so sensitive that a "vulgar" name is enough to drive you away from a site. In a debate/discussion/argument, the first person to resort to insults basically admits defeat anyway. So being insulted with "vulgar" names on a website means "you win!". It should be welcomed.

I have seen it done many times. I also had a high post count,much like your "cousin".Its not about quantity, its about quality

But you spoke of account deactivations, and this does not appear to be the case at all. The site is largely unmoderated, so they don't have teams of moderators banning people.

Anyways, a great many members there at ST.com have junk posts in the 10F section of the msg boards where anything but Star Trek is discussed.

That's why it's an off-topic board. Just like this site has non-Star Trek discussion forums.

So really, your equating high posts with a low deactivation rate is mere speculation, hardly the domain of a "undiluted" person as yourself,right?

The moderating powers extend to all forums on ST.COM. Posting on the non-Star Trek board does not protect a member from being banned.

Your rather tepid argument that creating a "safe" environment is not "constructive" is hardly appropriate in this context.

It's completely appropriate. If people hold back on their posts for fear of upsetting others, potentially interesting opinions may be absent

If you do not like the respect shown here, then perhaps you should go where you "feel" you can give an "honest " opinion.

I post on a lot of message boards. This is merely one of many.

The only problem you'll have with that is at least here you will be afforded respect whereas at ST.com, you will be chewed up and spit out.

I am also a member of ST.COM. I have yet to be chewed up and spat out.

Edited by Lady Britannia

Members on that site tend to have enormous post counts which suggests that account deactivation is not very common.

No kidding. I have over 20,000 posts over there.

As for the poll, I won't go back... I never went. Message boards are good enough for me.

Edited by NutcrackerOmega