Sign in to follow this  
welfconfed

Generations that might have been...

Between the early stages of prodution of the next generation and getting the first episode in the can alot was changed, for example: Capt. julien picard ,security chief Lt.com. Macha Hernandez (with Marina Sirtis in the role),Lt. Deanna Troy (Denise Crosby was cast),and Leslie Crusher! Not to mention the fact that Gene Roddenberry absolutely hated the idea of a klingons on TNG (he wanted to get away from the stereotypical villains they became on TOS and the movies) Worf was added at the last minute as a compromise. One of the original versions of Encounter at Farpoint was a one part epi. without the 'Q putting humanity on trial ' subplot and instead dealt only with the 'mystery of the alien as starbase' storyline.

So, does anybody else have any prodution trivia for TNG,( I've got some for TOS that is down right funny) any opinions about things that you would like to have seen changed or things you were glad got changed? If this 'version' of TNG had been produced how would it have done?

whow....how do u know?

I've got alot of reference material but the easiest to come by would be "The Star Trek Creator" The Authorized Biography of Gene Roddenberry by David Alexander plus it doesn't hurt to be old enough to remember those exciting early days when fans were desperately trying to piece together what this all new generation of star trek was going to be about ( were is Kirk and Spock!! :wow: Oh,nooooo!!! :grin: )

This info is also in ST the magazine, but I don't have any of em with me right now.

I think there was a discussion about having Geordi be an ombudsman between the higher and lower ranking officers in addition to his helmsman duties.

*trying to remember more...*

If the cast happened like it was originally supposed to, I wouldn't have watched at all.

I love the TNG cast the way they were in the series. :blink: that Data's gone. But, B-4 might have some hope yet.

The cast sould have been drastically different as well:

Stephen Macht as Picard, (General Krim on some DS9 eps)

Jeffrey Coombs or Vaughan Armstrong as Riker (We all know who they are)

Eric Menyuk as Data (The Traveler, came down to him and Spiner)

Tim Russ as Geordi (Tuvok)

Most of this is right out of the Encyclopedia, or other trivia I've seen. Sometimes I wonder what this cast would have been like,

I also know for DS9 that Tony Todd and James Earl Jones were considered for the role of Sisko and Alexander Siddig was Berman's first choice but was deemed to young. Famke Janssen was also considered for the role of Dax.

If the cast happened like it was originally supposed to, I wouldn't have watched at all.

Ah, you say that now. But thats only in retrospect, looking back at what you know. If it had been like that, you wouldnt have known the difference and would most likely love it just as much as you do, the real version. I must say, I am glad it worked out the way it did though

The cast sould have been drastically different as well:

Stephen Macht as Picard, (General Krim on some DS9 eps)

Jeffrey Coombs or Vaughan Armstrong as Riker (We all know who they are)

Eric Menyuk as Data (The Traveler, came down to him and Spiner)

Tim Russ as Geordi (Tuvok)

I would find it very interesting to see Vaugn Armstrong as Riker. I think he could have pulled it off..

I would still have TNG being produced...

I agree.

Paramount was so desperate to get them into the movie world that they ceased production on this show far too early, and for what???

Generations: OK, but average.

First contact: Excellent.

Insurrection: Pile of crap.

Nemesis: Steaming pile of crap.

I would still have TNG being produced...

I agree.

Paramount was so desperate to get them into the movie world that they ceased production on this show far too early, and for what???

Generations: OK, but average.

First contact: Excellent.

Insurrection: Pile of crap.

Nemesis: Steaming pile of crap.

Instead of going for an 8th season, they felt they could do better with a movie. I agree, sci-fi shows rarely last more than 5 seasons, and the one that did last 9 years only lasted becuase of major cast changes in the last 2 years.

In my opinion, TNG might have gottan away with an 8th season, and then made the move to movies.

As for the movies, I think the 1st was "TNG on the big screen", the 2nd being the "scary" one, the 3rd being my favorite and about ethics, with the 4th and final movie being an action-orriented story. The problems I had with the 4th were: not enough focus on cast and too much focus on Picard/Data, too dark, Remans not explorred.