Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Work or School

Do you work ?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do you work ?

• Yes I do work (Please tell us about it)
    • No, I'm a student (Which school?)
    • I'm between jobs
    • I got laid off
    • No I don't, my husband works.
    • No I don't, my wife works.
    • No I don't, my roommate works.
    • No I don't, I'm retired
    • No I don't, I'm independently wealthy
    • No, I'm disabled
    • Other Option ( Did I miss a group?)

For the past year and a half I've been working at a small dairy farm just outside of Skidmore,Missouri.We have fewer than 250 head of cattle,but the whole operation is fairly high tech.I am basically a crew boss,and act as a liason between the workers and our boss (my aunt).When I'm not sitting in front of a computer,I am usually out and about helping my workers wherever necessary.So,I guess I do a little bit of everything.

I would rather be doing something else,but the pay is good and working for a close relative has its advantages.

I work between 42 and 46 hour weeks.. from about 4:30am until 1:30pm or 2pm (on the average... there are many times I come in earlier or have to stay a little later)

I am a competitive Irish dancer(like as in Riverdance or Lord of the Dance), so I attend dance school as well

Finishing a second associates degree at a local community college (same one I graduated from back in 2000)...but taking a break for the summer.

I am partially disabled (my left arm was damaged in a work accident about 2 years ago, and I also have a medical condition alongside the arm being weak), so some stuff at work I either cannot do or have someone else bring stuff from the refrgerator or freezer so that I can work on the product. My condition makes it so I am in severe pain when in those type of temperatures (yeah, winters have been hell for the last two years for me :P owwww.).

So I can vote a few ways.. but I voted that I work. From June 2003 to May 2004, I was out of work due to my injury. Had to retire as a coach because I can no longer lift much more than a few pounds... so spotting children through somersaults and the likes is out of the question. When it comes to carrying my niece, I have to carry her basically with one arm as she is almost 20 pounds now (but she seems quite interested in this whole concept of walking so I may have to chase her now versus carrying her... LOL. She is just over 6 months old. :P )

Edited by Yillara_Soong

I've worked for over 22 years as a Children's Librarians in Public Libraries. It allows me to put my education background to good use. I started a new postion a little over a year ago at a much larger public library and really enjoy it. I went from being in charge of two parttimers to being one of 10 in a department ( I still work full time). I find I prefer it and am learning tons from my coworkers. My boss is wonderful and a great change from my former boss who morphed into a cruel tyrant (and that was on his good days! :rolleyes: )