Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Time-travel destroying continuity?

Is the Temporal Cold War heading the future towards a different path? Has the journeys back to the past damaging our timeline in ways unknown to us? These things, and many more can disrupt casuality in unseen ways, but may be fixed... Or not... As we moved forward through time, the Star Trek timeline moves further into a parallel universe (IE the launch of the Nomad and the S.S. Botany Bay DY-100, the Eugenics War, or the possible coming of World War III). But then again all these may have happened, and the laws of time are in a perpetual state of change. Post your views....

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

‘History is being remade constantly. You can’t see it from your point of view. You drift

through the fourth dimension, unable to change direction or even see where you’re going.

But other beings are different. They see the whole of the tapestry that is Time. They pull

at a thread here, create a new detail there, and they don’t care what their interference does

to the rest of the fabric. Why should they? Do you care when you shoo away a butterfly,

with all the consequences that might entail? Something - perhaps somebody - does care,

at least enough to darn the holes. The changes are not lost but they are subsumed, worked

into the grand design. The overall picture is preserved by the sacrifice of a billion

unimportant details. Your life could be reworked from start to finish and you wouldn’t

even notice.’ (Doctor Who: The Space Age written by Steve Lyons)

The thing about meddling with time is that one moment something is real, the next, it's been erased. Probability becomes just a possibility. Established truth becomes a theoretical falsehood. Like dominoes, as one timeline falls, the others come cascading down around it. You can engineer new timelines, new possibilities but before long, the distinction between what is, what was, what might be and what never can be becomes blurred.

Out of this grow myths, lies and legends. The Doctor was one such legend, but no one knows whether he truly ever existed. Well, not now they don't. The Mighty One, ruling the multiverses from the eternal city of Chronopolis has made sure of that. (Back Cover of the audio drama Doctor Who: Unbound: He Jests at Scars)

Edited by drwho42

I don't believe time travel is destroying continuity. I have 2 theories:

1. It's a timeline - TCW causes the founding of the Federation, 900 years later, the UFP gets involved in the TCW, Daniels causes the founding of UFP... a timeloop. However, I don't think this is what happens.

2. I believe that Daniels's future is different from the established Trek timeline, and that the TCW actually causes TOS onward, leaving Mr. Daniels to an uncertain future. I believe this is the route they're going with the show. :unsure:

2. I believe that Daniels's future is different from the established Trek timeline, and that the TCW actually causes TOS onward, leaving Mr. Daniels to an uncertain future.  I believe this is the route they're going with the show. :)

That's probably it, but its still a loop. :dude:

2. I believe that Daniels's future is different from the established Trek timeline, and that the TCW actually causes TOS onward, leaving Mr. Daniels to an uncertain future.  I believe this is the route they're going with the show. :rofl:

That's probably it, but its still a loop. :dude:

Yes, but in this instance, the alterred timeline is what creates the timeloop. :)

I think the timeline is just about intact - although they do sail pretty close to the wind with episodes like Acquisition and Regeneration in introducing cultures that are then encountered for the first time a couple fo centuries later. I think it has been intimated by Daniels at least that Archer has a role in the founding of the Federation.

I do worry that such a sweeping storyline as the current season finds no acknowlegdement down the line which leaves me to wonder if, at the end of the series, our Enterprise might not disappear up its own tailpipe! :force:

I agree with you on Aquisition, but i disagree on Regeneration.

From what i see, the Regeneration episode has to happen. This is something i wrote before about the Borg. :force:

"The Borg encounter".

With continuously watching every Borg episodes & First Contact. [the Borg are my favorite race]

Let me start With

"First Contact"

Ok, 1st of all. In the TNG episode "Q Who?" [2365] Q mentioned that humans are growing faster then they should. In other words the First Contact made by Cochrane isn't suppose to happen [maybe he got blown up due to a malfunction on his ship/or it just didn't work & he return home empty handed]

Ok, so the Queen made an expedition to earth's past & failed. The Sphere remnants crashed on earth.

Over 90 years later [2152] after Cochrane gave a speech on the future about bionic zombies. Archer's time. They found the remains of the sphere. There they found 2 Drones or was it 3. & a Transwarp Coil. The discovery of the coil explains why Scotty was with a test on Transwarp [2285], but since they don't have the coil itself they have no full knowledge on it just speculations on something to advance for them. & with the assimilations of the science group which consist of humans at that time, 200 years before the Hensens were assimilated, humans have the designation of Species 5618. Ok then the Borg drones manage to send a subspace message to the Delta Quadrant which speculated would reach approximately 200 years later.

After 200 years, the info on the cyborgs went thin [they [starfleet] forgot about them, thanks to the Klingon wars & other things they have to bother with] & since the Borg took the coil & other relevant tech. with them on that transport ship & got destroyed by the NX-01 the Feds have nothing much to research on. In [2293] the Enterprise-B rescued a crew of Guinan's people who told them the Borg destroyed their world. "That's all they told them their name"

So comes to TNG Picards time. 14 years before Picard met "his" 1st Borg Cube. The Hensens 'Exobiologist' heard about the strange cyborgs in Archer's log mentioned. Out of curiosity they ask Starfleet to give them a ship & permission to search out for this anonymous race. Since the Borg never mentioned their name to Archer, the only way the Hensens knew their name is through gossips or maybe they asked 1 of Guinan's people to tell them about these Cyborgs & found their name "The Borg" They took of in their journey, met their 1st Cube & disappeared.

Ok now or much earlier, the Borg received the message sent by the Drones at Archer's time, they analyzed the message & designate us as Species 5618 for the time of assimilation of the human scientists. The Queen may be intrigued by what are her Drones doing in the Alpha Quadrant at that time without her knowledge & send a Cube to search out this human mystery like the Hensens did about the Borg. The Borg make their first attack on the Federation, destroying several outposts near the Romulan border. The Romulans re-establish diplomatic ties with the Federation at year 2364 before Picard's first Encounter. The Borg surely to realized that humans aren't that advance after assimilating the outposts & planned to ignore them & turn back.

Then later in 2365 Picard, with a provoked conversation with Q & when Q flung the Enterprise-D to 7000 light-year distance to a area where a Cube is nearby, This most definitely draw the Borg's attention, "a vessel appear out of nowhere without any warp trail they expect humans to use." Picard met them, "talked to them", research as much as possible, ran away, "beg" Q to return them back & disappeared from the Borgs sensors. If this doesn't bring interest to the Borg, nothing will. "How did a ship disappeared 7000 light-years away in a blink of an eye", even transwarp can't do that. Of course the Queen did not know that Q did it for them. Nonetheless, she thinks this is a worthy race to assimilate & taking Picard as an equal since he's in charge of a ship that escapes the Borg. [reason for an equal is because, since they are going to assimilate earth they need another Queen like being there 70,000 light years away to control the Borg at the Alpha Quadrant.

PS: Guinan herself mentioned she wasn't there personally when her world was attacked By Borg.

As time goes by, at 2367 after the incident at Wolf 359 [graveyard in space 80 Federation ships are destroyed by a single Cube led by Locutus]- "First Contact" [year 2373] came. The Queen went to Earth for assimilation of humanity.

Then the Queen planned on the time travel idea, unknowingly that it will bring to her demise. [because the Drones did not tell fully of the "First Contact" incident.] "A full circle is complete." Time paradoxes "Temporal Loop" [like Data's Head]

Actually it all had happened, is happening & going to happen all the time.

That's how things usually works. Loops :lol: gotta love them.

It also shows how the Hensens knew about them, etc.

So in other words, there hasn't been any changes at all, just something that occured over & over again in this universe's timeline. :lol:

Watch Robotech all the way, you'd realized that something in the last episode is the cause of the whole thing ever starting. :lol:

All this because some 2 people in the future fell in love got thrown back in the past & started the whole thing all over completing the loop. :wow:

Very Interesting reading finding this thread from way back in January. :laugh: I thought I should ressurrect it for further discussion in light of more recent episodes concerning Time-Travel. What do you think? :blink:

QUOTE Chunderfish: { I Love this O_o }

"I do worry that such a sweeping storyline as the current season finds no acknowlegdement down the line which leaves me to wonder if, at the end of the series, our Enterprise might not disappear up its own tailpipe! " :nono::tear:

Edited by Jeanway

It's a bit of a tangle. When Archer fixed the timeline, he did so in a timeline that didn't occur because he fixed it. Basically, he fixed the past in the future ('future' meaning the future of the more distant past). It's a bit of a paradox, but a paradox can be broken. Or unravelled.

Then again, in the TNG episode Parallels, when Worf keeps jumping from one reality to another, it is said that for each choice made a new timeline is created, which alternative timelines for each choice not taken (which would have been taken in other timelines).

So I don't think that continuity can be destroyed.

Thank you, Jeanway, for bring this thread up for some air.

I love to think about these things but it gives me a head-ache :hug:  :flex:  :flex:  :hug:

277265[/snapback]

Sometimes, I thrive off it! :hug: