Sign in to follow this  
Goose

IBM Linux commercial "Prodigy"

Stardate:21330.5

I know this may be old news(they released this commercial on thier site in October I think) but I am still thrilled by the awsomeness of this commercial.

For those of you that dont know Linux is an open source OS.It is truly awsome!There is so much more you can do with Linux that you cant do with Windows.and its FREE!!!!!!!!!

IBM made Bill Gates.When he first made Windows nobody wanted it cause they thought it was an inferior OS(it still is).But IBM took a change and decided to but it and put it on there computers.Thats what started Bill Gates on his way towards his Billions.

Well IBM is abandoning Bill.They are switching over to Linux cause lets face it its better.Not only that but whole country governments are telling Bill Gates where to stick it and switching to Linux(Germany,Isrial are just a few).

Here is the Link to IBM's commercial. "Prodigy"

The only thing that sucks is IBM wont let you download it but on the internet where there's a will there's a way.I found a site were you can download it!!

Download Prodigy

JOIN THE LINUX REVOLUTION!

I'm a huge fan of Linux too, and loath Windoze just as much. However, I hope that IBM's "marketing" of Linux doesn't change its status as freeware. It would absolute stink to have to pay for Linux after getting it for free since it's birth. I can imaging scenarios where IBM tries to monopolize Linux, license it, and then start selling it.

(Of course, it is not worthless, but much of its value comes from its openness to everyone.)

I'm a huge fan of Linux too, and loath Windoze just as much.  However, I hope that IBM's "marketing" of Linux doesn't change its status as freeware.  It would absolute stink to have to pay for Linux after getting it for free since it's birth.  I can imaging scenarios where IBM tries to monopolize Linux, license it, and then start selling it. 

(Of course, it is not worthless, but much of its value comes from its openness to everyone.)

Stardate:21430.8

Linux has an open source license so I dont believe that can ever keep it from being free. I know Red Hat(one of the Linux distros) has thiers on the market to buy but all your really buying is the support service.You can still download free from thier site.All IBM can ever do is sell the support.The only people that buy Linux are the ones that either want the support or dont want to take the time downloading it(as the ISO's are around 650mb)

I am looking into setting up a Linux system but I have to wait for my new computer as I still need to run a MS system to keep inline with my collage work.

Stardate:21433.1

Well right now I have Windows XP dual booted with Linux(Mandrake 9.2).The only thing I use Windows for is the internet.Because my modem is a winmodem(which isnt really a modem) and it isnt compatible with Linux.So when my check comes at the end of the month I am buying a new one.Then I am making a full switch.So Windoze your time draws near!!! :blink:

Stardate:21433.9

As much as I dispise Mac, thier new operating sytem Mac Os X(which even I will admit isnt that bad really) and Linux do have something in common.They are both Unix based systems

Why do people hate Bill Gates so much or critize windows all the time, I never have any troubles with it and Linux can't do some things that Windows just basically for what you use the computer for rather then what is truly geniunely better.

Stardate:21456.3

I hate Bill Gates so much because he has a unfair monopoly of computers and hes a dictator of the computer world.

I criticise windows because of the horrible instability that it has.You are always hearing about all these virus and worm attacks that happen to microsoft.Its so easy to hack windows its not even funny.

Also name one thing Windows can do that Linux can't do.

I hate Macs, but I hate Windows even more!

DOWN WITH MICROSOFT!!!

(Unfortunately, I have to use Windows, because this isn't my computer.)

OK, one thing that Windows can do that Linux can't:

Click for Spoiler:

Get 10 viruses in that many hours

well sometime when i actually own my stuff again, ill try to install linux as a duall boot again with my xp and play with it some more again. last time i tried it crashed my windows on my hard drive so i lost everything and had to start over again. but thats cool ibm is swithching over. its gotta kill bill. hey look thats a movie too. :unsure:

well sometime when i actually own my stuff again, ill try to install linux as a duall boot again with my xp and play with it some more again. last time i tried it crashed my windows on my hard drive so i lost everything and had to start over again. but thats cool ibm is swithching over. its gotta kill bill. hey look thats a movie too. :unsure:

Stardate:21436.9

With Linux causeing Windows to crash,were you dual booting on one hardrive or two? Because if its on one I would recommend doing it on two.Windows XP will sometimes corrupt Linux and cause it to crash or Linux will corrupt XP and cause it to crash.Needless to say XP and Linux do not like sharing a hardrive,they dont make good neighbors :idea: .

By the way IBM says it estimates by 2005 all it computers will come standard with Linux(probably the Red Hat distro as they are the frontrunners of the deal)

Edited by Goose

I hate Bill Gates so much because he has a unfair monopoly of computers and hes a dictator of the computer world.

I criticise windows because of the horrible instability that it has.You are always hearing about all these virus and worm attacks that happen to microsoft.Its so easy to hack windows its not even funny.

run your modem..lol

run your modem..lol

Stardate:21426.4

Linux runs on REAL MODEMS. If your modem doesnt run its probably a WinModem.Windows(to save money :dude: ) generally puts a type of modem in thier machines called winmodems.They are not real modems.Instead of running off thier own power they sap power off your processor,and they are missing a few parts real modems have.

Linux wont run on winmodems ill give yah that.But its better to have a real modem wheather you have Linux,windows,or whatever.

I like Microsoft, Windows, and Bill Gates.

Windows is great. It's very user-friendly, and I like that. I've never used Linux, but I've heard some people say it's not that easy to use. One of my friends even had to read a "Linux for Dummies" book to be able to use it properly. Windows is not that hard at all. And now, with XP, it's quite stable. Ever since I got XP, my computer has not crashed or frozen once. (It used to crash and freeze all of the time.) Windows works fine for my purposes, and I don't feel like I need to switch.

Bill Gates is an awesome businessman, and I do not think he's running a monopoly. Just the fact that there is Linux and it's growing fast shows that there is competition. There is also Macintosh out there. If Microsoft has a larger share of the market, it is most likely because it offers the better product. Once people stop liking it then it's share will shrink. But people like Microsoft products... that's why Bill Gates is doing so well.

And... I might be wrong with this... but if it is easy to write a virus for Windows... then wouldn't it be easier to write one for Linux... since you can actually see the code that Linux is using? I mean, if you know exactly what's in it, then you know exactly where and what to attack.

anyway i heard today in school that one of the reasons ibm is switching to linux, and dell too, is that billy anounced that the next O.S. he comes out with will be the LAST. so their all going to the other guy now. thats what the teach said anyway

YA! I'd love to see Microsoft go down the drain! I've owned three Windows PC's and I am ready to boycott anything Windows. I thought it would be better but I was wrong every time. Windows sucks.

Right now I'd buy a Mac before anything. Mac OS X Panther rocks!

i havent had any problems with my xp pro. i rather enjoy it. but i would like to play with linux somtime when i get my puter in the same house with me again

Stardate:21438.8

And... I might be wrong with this... but if it is easy to write a virus for Windows... then wouldn't it be easier to write one for Linux... since you can actually see the code that Linux is using? I mean, if you know exactly what's in it, then you know exactly where and what to attack.

Well there is a dozen or so versions of Linux and each has a little different source code than the other so I dont know.But then again Im no programmer either so I cant confirm nor deny that.

anyway i heard today in school that one of the reasons ibm is switching to linux, and dell too, is that billy anounced that the next O.S. he comes out with will be the LAST. so their all going to the other guy now. thats what the teach said anyway

OH WOW REALLY :dude: ! I havent heard anything about that.I wonder if there's any truth to it?Hmm Im gonna look that up.If its true I wonder why Bill just up and decided that windoze FS(or "Longhorn") is going to be the last one?Is he just giving up? Woa :)

Windows is great. It's very user-friendly, and I like that. I've never used Linux, but I've heard some people say it's not that easy to use. One of my friends even had to read a "Linux for Dummies" book to be able to use it properly. Windows is not that hard at all. And now, with XP, it's quite stable. Ever since I got XP, my computer has not crashed or frozen once. (It used to crash and freeze all of the time.) Windows works fine for my purposes, and I don't feel like I need to switch.

Yes Linux is harder than Windows.I have probably the easiest version and its a little difficult.Right now Linux is meant for an experienced computer user.If your a begginner Linux is not for you.But once more and more people get into it they will make it easier.I consider myself a pretty experienced computer easier and i have had some difficulties.But thats one of the reasons i switched.I like a challenge.

Linux has an open source license so I dont believe that can ever keep it from being free. I know Red Hat(one of the Linux distros) has thiers on the market to buy but all your really buying is the support service.You can still download free from thier site.All IBM can ever do is sell the support.The only people that buy Linux are the ones that either want the support or dont want to take the time downloading it(as the ISO's are around 650mb)[/glow]

I do indeed hope you are correct. However, it's not unheard of for regulations to spring up from commercial developments of "free" software. For example, KNOPPIX,

my favorite distribution, and the one I'm using now, has been in jeopardy of regulations detrimental to the programmer and user. Check out the Knoppix site. Granted, Knoppix is a European distribution, so maybe that sort of thing won't happen in the U.S.....