Sign in to follow this  
welfconfed

No Pax Organia

With out the organian peace treaty the federation and klingon empire would have fought a interstellar war , what would have been the effect on the star trek timeline and how would TOS do in the ratings as a more militaristic,less hopeful show and how would the future of trek and science fiction in general have changed?

The brilliant Gene Roddenberry gave us a possitive optimistic view of the future at a time when poeple were paralized with the fear of social/racial unrest and thermal nuclear war. If it had been dark and pessimistic like modern trek (especially the current trek) we wouldn't have star trek as we know it today. The optimistic outlook was the main attraction.

To me, TOS had a more militaristic feel than any of the addendums.

Edited by Big_Steve

I agree TOS was militaristic , but the brilliance of Gene Roddenberry was that he could use a action adventure show about a quasi-military organization in space and deliver a very anti-war message. In the end we feel Kirks embarrassment after the organians point out that in his quest to 'defend' against the Klingons he ends up yelling for the "right" to wage war. When the Gorn attack Federation citizens we want Kirk to kick some lizard butt ,and he does,but again its the fact that he will not kill and decides to spare the Gorns life that is the point of the episode.

What I wonder is if at some point Roddenberry had just given up on Trek and turned it into a sci-fi shoot'em up what would star trek and science fiction look like today.

I also wonder if thats whats missing in the latest shows , the heart,the social conscience, no amount of state of the art special effects can replace these.