Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Uber Alien Ships - Do you like them?

What do you think of the uber-alien ships? I'm not talking about big ships like the Ent-D or the Klingon Attack Cruiser, but the massive ships like the Romulan Warbird or the Kazon Mothership. Do you think that the uber-ships are fanboyish, cool, just right for that culture, or what?

(The Borg don't count for this, since they're a cybernetic culture that literrally obsorbs other civilizations.)

I Really Like Schimitar. Some One Once Said It Was Fan Boyish...Bah, lol

All The Romulan Ships Are Cool Too ;)

Never Did Care For The Kaxon In General, lol

Hey, Does The Klingon Negh'Var-Class Count?

I Really Like Schimitar.  Some One Once Said It Was Fan Boyish...Bah, lol

Well, I didn't see the Schimitar as being an uber-ship, but rather a large ship. Notice in the TOS movies, the bad guys have the smaller ship, where as in the TNG movies, the bad guys have the bigger ship? ;)

I Really Like Schimitar.  Some One Once Said It Was Fan Boyish...Bah, lol

Well, I didn't see the Schimitar as being an uber-ship, but rather a large ship. Notice in the TOS movies, the bad guys have the smaller ship, where as in the TNG movies, the bad guys have the bigger ship? ;)

They probably made the ships battling the Enterprise D and E bigger to create more action. Little ships don't usually put up a big fight.

I'm a big fan of the D'Deridex and the Kazon (originally Trabe) mothership. Both are great-looking, and really pack a punch. The Norexan is just ok, imho; just a little derivitive for my taste. I don't think I liked the Scimitar much at all from a design perspective, especially while deploying its uber-weapon.

I'd also add:

Sona battlecruiser - one of the best starship designs imo.

Voth cityship - one word: "wow". ;) (9800 m!)

Krenim time ship

Jem'Hadar battleship

The bigger the more and larger the weapons you can pack in it? And harder to destroy. Take a hole chunk out of a massive ship and it will still work and shoot at you.

Intimidation.

It's almost as simple as that. The reason many races construct such large vessels is purely psychological. The larger and more menacing the ship, the more fear it will strike into its enemy.

The best example of this is probably the D'Deridex. If the space were removed between the upper and lower hulls, and the overall shape reorganized a little, it wouldn't be much larger than a Galaxy. The fact is that if a tiny scout were to have the same power as a warbird, the warbird would still cause greater panic.

Just imagine how Geordi felt when that gargantuan warbird appeared out of nowhere. ;)

For others such as the Voth cityship and Varro generational ship, size is just a necessity. They wanted to carry a large number of individuals, so a vessel was built with enough space to accommodate them all.

Edited by Ace

OK, I've thought about this some more.  If they have a few uber-ships, than that's cool.  What doesn't seem like a good use of resources is when someone, like the Romulans, has nothing but massive warbirds! :spock:

When you consider how the Romulans are as a race you might think they shouldn't have anything else but Uber-ships :spock:

The problem with uber-ships is that they sacrifice maneuverability. It's all well and good being absolutely massive and full of weapons but your a bit stuck when its comes to evading things, your just more of a target. That's why I would prefer a few small ships to just a single big one