Sign in to follow this  
ARMS

Your own web site

Here is some Information for starting up your own web site.

If anyone wants more details the just let me know and I might expand to a full blown tutorial on the indavidual subjects.

first of all I'll start with some common terms so when I use them you won't be to confused.

HTML: HyperText Markup Language. This is the common programing language used to make most web pages. All this dose is tell the Browser how to show the page.

PHP: Php Hypertext Preprossesor: a modern internet script language. this is what is used to make a lott of modern sites most of all the formums (look at the address of this site in the bar you'll see part of the address say's somthing like index.php)

MySQL: This is a data base used for storing information from a web page used allot on forums.

FTP: File Transfer Proticol

WYSI, WYG: a type of webpage editor that dose not require the user to know how to program What You See Is What You Get

Forums

I'm going to quickly talk about forums, Not the free boards but a fully working one that you have full controle over.

What you need

A Host

FTP software

Board Software

A host

To run a board you need a host and for most forums this host needs to have support for PHP & MySQL

Here are a few to try

Free host ultra

Cool free Pages

Both do PHP & MySQL and are both free, Free host ultra dose not force adds on the site

FTP Software

the best to use is probably Smart FTP This is free to download and is what I use

Board Software

Then you need the stuff for the board the Board your on is call Invision Power Board 1.2 and can be Downloaded for free from Powerboard 1.2 just scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button to down load.

another popular one is PHPBB you can download it for free atPHP Downloads

once you have all the stuff your ready to make your own board, I don't know about phpbb but on IPB there is a sub folder inside the main folder call install guide this has a HTML document that tell you how to set up the board.