Sign in to follow this  
Lessa_Soong

Stephen Hawking Or Cookies?

I was talking with my daughter and her boyfriend a few weeks back and we somehow got on to the topic of Stephen Hawking.

I was saying that i thought it was great that he was such a brain, but still seemed to have a great sense of humor and had been on Trek and even done a speaking part on a Pink Floyd song.

Would it not be great to be such a smart person. Think of all you could do. the things that you could discover...ect.

My daughter, who oddly is a straight A student, said "Yeah, it would be great and all, but Mom, he can't even get up and get his own cookies!" I turned to her boyfriend and gave him an expectant look.

"I think anyone could be that smart if they really tried, but i would want to get my own cookies, too" he answered.

I was shock. Brain the size of the planet or get your own cookies and they choose, get the cookies.

so what is your choice?

Brains, but confined. Or able to get up and getyour own cookies?

I know this is silly, but i was just shocked that everyone i have asked so far picks cookies!

Hmmm, I would want the brains, but I like cookies too. That would be a great toss up. I just wish you could have the best of both worlds(no pun intended), cookies and brains.

I think Hawking could come up with a way to get his own cookies, he is one of the smartest men in the world...so he could probably "get up" and get his cookies after all! I am sure I would try to do that if I was in a similar situation!

Somehow in asking everyone i know, i had forgotten to ask my husband. He told me that he bet Stephen would even go for the cookies.

I shook my head at him and told him that this meant i was going to have to write a letter to the man, but i doubt i really will.

Personally, i want candy! But brains...more then i have, would be very enticing!

I still like my idea.....use the brains to get the cookies!!!

Well of course

But I think it is intended as an analogy to his disabilities.

So the question really comes to would you accept the disabilities for the knowledge.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

That is difficult...I mean I have lived with a minor disability for most of my life(which I usually don't mention to anyone, so I don't draw attention to myself). I was put into my sport of choice to strengthen my arm and allow it to function pretty much normally(though it is still weak). So, to me, it would be awesome to have the knowledge...even if it meant I would lose my level of movement and activity(to be confined to a wheelchair). But, I am not sure if I would wish to remain connfined for the rest of my life though.....

It is a very difficult choice but I think I would have to choose the cookies too. It is amazing that we can even discuss a choice like this in many ways. Can you imagine how many Stephen Hawkings there have been in the past that we never knew about because a disabled person would immediately be sent away to an institution to die. Technology has allowed us to know Stephen Hawking. Hopefully there will be a time when technology reaches a point where there is no need to chose.

Intelligence or mobility?

I prefer both, it would be a tough choice...

I have a Brane the size of Everything...*smirks*

(you'll have to listen to my music to get that little joke)

If you fancy a laugh listen to MC Hawking's music...

http://www.mchawking.com/

He was the guy who gave me the idea of using RALPH, the Apple voice synthesiser on my music.

If Professor Hawking is around, he might want to check out my rap, What Expands Space? and Would the Real Professor Hawking Please Stand Up...

I like myself as I am. I am intelligent enough, but not of the level of Stephen Hawking. I like the perspecitve my life has given me, and would not want to give up what I know to be as brilliant as Stephen Hawking.

As brilliant as he is, there are still some things he has no clue to because he has not lived my life. (Of course that goes both ways).

So I guess I choose the cookies.

definitely choose the cookies in other words - physical health. You don't have to be brilliant to live a good life.

MJ makes a good point, there are more kinds of intelligence than just the spatial/mathematical skills.

As someone who has been registered as a disabled student I would choose the cookies. the idea of being restrained in your body whilst having thoughts so much larger than life, and not being able to reap any of those rewards would be disappointing.

I would like to have a fifth of the intellect and the the physicality to enjoy the the creativity of the intellect.