Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holland

SPAM E-mail

Recently I have been getting alot of SPAM E-mails lately. The last one was entitled "I hope you can handle him". So I replyed saying "I hope you can handle me if you ever see me. Because I am getting extremely irritated (or something like that) with your E-mails. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!" I have turned on my Spam Blocker and it is helping to iradicate the E-mails but I get ones like that every once in a while. Do you have a similar problem? What have you done about it?

Also, never respond to them. Not even to tell them to remove you. That can make them target you that much more because now they know it's a valid email address.

THIS IS SO TRUE!!! I clicked the link that was supposed to remove me from the mailing list but then I started getting more spams from the same co. as ever before. Don't click it!

Also beware of unsolicited e-mails advertising for spam-blocking programs. Some of them just double the Spam.

Ad Aware 6 is not good at all IMHO.....

spysweeper is much better:

http://www.webroot.com/php/tryme.php?bjpc=64000&vcode=DT02

I downloaded Spysweeper and it is working now. So far it has found 7,909 Traces! I guess I did need it. Thanks everyone.

SPYWARE finds more stuff than AdAware....in comparision:

Adaware: 3 spys - 50 traces

Spyware: 56 spys - 19,000 traces

these were ACTUAL stats, taken from a recent sweep of my comp.....i reckon they compliment each other...Adaware obviously does not have a BIG spy database.

Recently I have been getting alot of SPAM E-mails lately. The last one was entitled "I hope you can handle him". So I replyed saying "I hope you can handle me if you ever see me. Because I am getting extremely irritated (or something like that) with your E-mails. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!" I have turned on my Spam Blocker and it is helping to iradicate the E-mails but I get ones like that every once in a while. Do you have a similar problem? What have you done about it?

By opening the e-mail, you're letting them know that the e-mail is an active adress. Just do what I do: If you don't know who it's from and it looks suspicious... click "Report as Spam". :laugh:

By opening the e-mail, you're letting them know that the e-mail is an active adress. Just do what I do: If you don't know who it's from and it looks suspicious... click "Report as Spam". :laugh:

That's only true for AOL users, for someone using Outlook Express or another email program you can open it and they won't know that the address is valid. I just have my filter set to look for key words and if those key words are in the email then it goes right into the trash without me ever seeing it.

Because I use hotmail I can have it set so that everything that is sent to me that isn't from someone I know (i.e. On my safe list, in my contact list, etc.) is automatically filtered to the junk mail folder.

Thus leaving my inbox uncluttered.

Edited by thedoctor

I haven't had much trouble with spam, but I got 5 or 6 e-mails from weird addresses like "Four B. Courseness", and "Annoying" something or other titled, "Hi, it's me".

I have Yahoo e-mail, and when the "weird stuff" shows up in my bulk mail, I just delete them without opening them. I also run either "Adaware" or "Spybot Search and Destroy" occasionally, and haven't had any problems so far.

I use to get a ton, but now I don't.

My private e-mail gets none.

My second semi-private e-mail gets one or two every once in a while

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com use to never get any but now I'm getting a few

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I use both Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. If I still get spam? I use the big red "X" at the top of my e-mail program labeled "delete."

I just filter them straight to the trash. I find that a lot of them come from the same address (or even end of the address). Anyway, I find that I don't get too much junk mail anyways - just stupid chain mail from my friends! :)