Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Starfleet's Best and Brightest

I was wondering who do you think the finest captains in Starfleet are? I'm making this a little different from other favourite captain posts in that the major captains are excluded (no Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, or Archer). Also, don't include members of major crews who became captains such as Riker, Spock, Scotty, Sulu and any others.

Here are some of mine:

Captain Robert DeSoto: seems like a good captain and was famous enough for that guy to take a picture of his desk

Captain Amasov: captain of the only ship to survive Wolf359 and the Endeavour seems to be an important ship.

Captain Richardson and Captain Diego: I believe they were under the guidance of Boothby at the Academy so they must be good captains.

Can you think of some other great Captains? Heck, mention Captains you don't like (i.e. Estaban).

Captain Tryla Scott. She was mentioned in "Conspiracy". Apparently, no other has reached Captain so quickly before. Important is that she helped expose the alien parasites.

I also like Captain Bolivar. He is just so awesome! Just kidding!

Heck, mention Captains you don't like (i.e. Estaban).

Easy, Jellico. :dude: The man may be efficient, but his personality needs tweaking.

May I request that we include the names of their ships? I never put the captains' names to memory, but I usually remember them by their ships. (i.e.- I'm having a block; who was on the Hood? Was that De Soto?)

Also wish we got to find out a little bit more about Silva La Forge.

Edited by Ace

Captain Tryla Scott.  She was mentioned in "Conspiracy".  Apparently, no other has reached Captain so quickly before.  Important is that she helped expose the alien parasites.

How old was she when she became captain?

I don't think the exact age was ever mentioned on-screen.

Edited by Ace

Hmmm. Well I figured out Jean-Luc Picard was born in 2305. In 2333 he was:

Assigned as commander and first officer on U.S.S. Stargazer, later promoted to captain after death of his superior in battle
Quote from Startrek.com

So he became captain between 2333 and 2355 when he was:

Forced to abandon Stargazer after encounter with then-unknown Ferengi, with few casualties
Quote from Startrek.com

We will assume he became captain in 2333. 2333 minus 2305 is 28.

So she would have to be under 28 years old.

What about that captain in the Final Frontier book series. What was his name?

Mackenzie Calhoun of the USS Excalibur

The books are named New Frontier, and my fav. captain would have to be Mackenzie Calhoun from that bookseries! :dude:

I think Diego may be the captain of the Venture or the Magellan.

Some other fine captains are:

Captain Walker Keel of the Horatio: he may be dead but he seemed like another Picard-type captain

Captain Rixx of the Thomas Paine: He was in Conspiracy and Picard says he was one of the best and brightest.

Captain Clark Terrell of the Reliant: he may not have done much but he seemed like a good captain.

Captain Quentin Swofford of the Cortez: again another deceased Captain but he was a friend of Sisko so he must be good.

Captain Laporin of the Armstrong (I think): he too is dead but another friend of Sisko.

Captain Solok of the T'Kumbra: I don't particularly like him but he seemed to have been involved in many battles during the Dominion War. That's gotta count for something.

Some other bad Captains:

-Captain Styles (An a** with a riding crop)

-Captain John Harriman: I like the actor but I think Harriman wasn't quite ready for command. Of course, it was his first day and maybe he'll get better with time.

Edited by Jack_Bauer

What about Captain Morgan Bateson from the U.S.S. Bozeman? :laugh:

Though we didn't see much of him, I found him very interesting. :laugh:

Mrs. Captain Picard

Mrs.Picard in case you're interested Captain Morgan Bateson is featured in the NG novel Ship of the Line. I haven't read it but my son did and he said it was good.