Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Quark?

Yet another blast from the past - I originally posted this @ StarTrek.com:

No it's not about the bar tender on DS9 named Quark, sorry.

Novice wanted me to go into quarks and what they relate to. So I will honor his request and post a topic about this subject to Novice & for everyone else.

Well first you have to know what the hardron classes of particles are. Hadrons are basically particles that react to a strong nuclear force. This creates balance and attraction of protons & neutrons in the atomic nuclei. Hadrons are made up of quarks. The term gluon connects (binds) quarks to make mesons & baryons (members of the hardron family).

To understand what I'm saying - for example the term "strong nuclear force" I'm going to have to define that. A strong nuclear force holds neutrons and protons to make up the nucleus.

A baryon is a large particle that gives an output to a strong nuclear force. Another family, the mesons, also responds to a strong nuclear force, plus is also made up of quarks. It's just like a family tree getting more and more specific. Just like when you think of polygons and its tree in geom. Particles are made up of more particles in this case quarks are the even smaller particles that make up hadrons.

A quark really is what a hardron is made of. It's the smaller particles that make up it. In short it's the force that combines its foundations and elements. And its force gets stronger actually when the individual quarks are detracting. As a result it is not possible to actually take one of them out of the whole (the hardron, referring to normal means). The quarks that make up a hardron are basically positive or negative. A so called "up quark" has a charge of 2/3 and a "down quark" has -1/3. There are also antiquarks which are just the opposite of that #. (Example antiup is -2/3)

Another important fact about them is there baryon # which is there conserved quality.

I was talking about baryons and mesons, but I have not really said how they are different. A baryon is made up from 3 quarks and a meson is just made from 1 quark and 1 antiquark. This is because for a baryon it has to have an baryon # of 1 so to actually make this up you need 3 quarks. For a meson it has a zero baryon # as a result it must have 1 quark and 1 antiquark. (You could view it as it cross canceling)

In a nutshell: Quarks are what make up hadrons. Quarks have fractional electric charge, spin, and a baryon #.

I think in a few days I will expand on this by going back to nuclear physics’ basics and then we can all have a better picture on what quarks on because you really need a foundation to really understand what they are.

- that's another blast from the past @ StarTrek.Com

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Ah yes the lovely Quark! I have always wondered if Quarks are made up of even smaller particles. I believe in String Theory so I believe that Quarks are made of strings but I wonder if there is something made up of strings that makes up quarks. Is it possible to even know the answer? I know it isn't possible to prove strings. What do you think about all this Master Q?

Well I better respond to this now before I turn the computer off for good because I don’t want you to wait until Thursday for a response . . .

The simple answer is no. However, to my knowledge they do have mathematical models to describe a system that has more subatomic particles then what is generally accepted as fact. I don’t have a clue what those mathematical models look like. Maybe I have an idea, but my math knowledge is fuzzy on that level. However, I look forward to the future when I learn it.

You have it wrong on what strings are. They are a physicalentity which represents the different possible elementary particles. Meaning it is basically a path. For example - it is the same with the orbit. The orbit is the electron’s path around an atom’s nucleolus. The orbital is the region of an atom where there is a high probability of you finding electrons. So your understanding of the concept is not correct and from what I just said the answer would again be - no, it would not.

I’ll be more then happy to elaborate more when I return and I do want to talk about some really interesting connections to antimatter

Bye

Master Q

I think you thought I was talking about waves of the wave/particle duality theory. Strings are a completely different phenomenon. With string theory everything in the universe is made up of tiny vibrating "strings". Within a proton there are a phenomenal amount of strings... probably something like trillions of "strings". This is the theory that led to the idea of 10 or 24 dimensions. Because of their tiny size it would be impossible to prove their existance because you cannot measure or observe the tiniest unit of reality. This is just the basic non technical stuff. I'll read up on it so that I have more to say in the science chat.

I'm familiar with the Graviton. Although I did think that the idea of such a particle existed before String Theory. I could very well be wrong. But what may I ask is M-Theory?

In the past year, researchers at the SPRING-8 facility in Osaka discovered evidence for the pentaquark state, consisting of 5 net quarks (keeping in mind that it's not exactly correct to say that baryons have three quarks). It fits within the confines of the standard model, as do mesons and baryons, but has never been observed until now. It's a pretty nice paper - might be worth a nobel prize. By the way, a 4-quark state is not predicted by the standard model, and has never been observed.

I think you thought I was talking about waves of the wave/particle duality theory.  Strings are a completely different phenomenon.  With string theory everything in the universe is made up of tiny vibrating "strings".  Within a proton there are a phenomenal amount of strings... probably something like trillions of "strings".  This is the theory that led to the idea of 10 or 24 dimensions.  Because of their tiny size it would be impossible to prove their existance because you cannot measure or observe the tiniest unit of reality.  This is just the basic non technical stuff.  I'll read up on it so that I have more to say in the science chat.

Ok, I will concede on mixing up wave/particle duality with the actual physical substance. That was a mistake on my part, but the answer I belive would still be no to your first question.

But on more of a realist look or view on this I still don’t like the concept of a string as a actual substance rather then a electric force under the theory QCD. On the other hand I can fully appreciate gravitons.

Master Q

Edited by master_q

I have to post this - In my view QM is a bunch of nonsense. I have to agree with Einstein here.

Even the basic principles (IMHO) are nonsense. Nils Bohr's model of energy levels and quantum numbers IMO are nonsense. That's just what I think.

QM is not a definite science. QM takes probabilities to the extreme and in fact proves (with the much use of probability) that we know nothing about the “why’s” and “how’s” of QM.

Master Q