Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Wild end to the NFL season

This weekend had some exciting football. Some wild endings to great games. The best ending, for me was the Rams-Lions game. With the Lions winning the game that means that any NFC Playoff game that the Eagles play will be in Philadelphia, and for most teams they don't relish the thought of traveling into the City of Brotherly Love in January to play football.

Another wild ending was in Arizona, if Minnesota won the game they would win the NFC North and be in the Playoffs. If they lose the game their season is over. On the last play of the game the Cards threw the game winning touchdown with no time left on the clock at all.

In Baltimore, in a meaningless game between the Ravens and the Steelers the only thing of any importance was the single season rushing record. Jamal Lewis needed to gain 154 yards to pass Eric Dickerson's record but fell short by 40 yards and ended the season with 2,066 yards.

If the post season is as exciting as the last week of the season then we're in for a wild January.

God Bless Arizona!! Whoooo Hooooo!!!

You know what that win did for Arizona's coach?

Click for Spoiler:

He got fired tiday.

Of course that would have happened win or lose... lol

Stardate:213987.3

I cant believe it.The damn Seachickens creeped there way into the playoffs.Stupud Minnesoota and stupid Dallas!!!!Thats ok they will lose to Green Bay come Sunday.GO Packers!!!!!!

Mark my words the Seachickens will not WILL NOT win a super bowl before the Seattle Mariners win a world Series!!IT WONT HAPPEN!!!!!!

I cant believe it.The damn Seachickens creeped there way into the playoffs.Stupud Minnesoota and stupid Dallas!!!!Thats ok they will lose to Green Bay come Sunday.GO Packers!!!!!!

Mark my words the Seachickens will not WILL NOT win a super bowl before the Seattle Mariners win a world Series!!IT WONT HAPPEN!!!!!!

I agree that the Seahawks wont' go all the way, but I do see a possibility of them winning this weekend. A slim possibility but still a possibility.

I agree that the Seahawks wont' go all the way, but I do see a possibility of them winning this weekend. A slim possibility but still a possibility. ibility.

I'd like to say "Them's fightin' words!" since I want the Packers to win, but with my luck as soon as I start making bets, the Pack will choke!

I agree that the Seahawks wont' go all the way, but I do see a possibility of them winning this weekend. A slim possibility but still a possibility. ibility.

I'd like to say "Them's fightin' words!" since I want the Packers to win, but with my luck as soon as I start making bets, the Pack will choke!

I did say "A slim possibility but still a possibility." didn't I? lol

I actually hope the Packers win and the Cowboys win, that way the Cowboys will go to Philadelphia and the Packers will go to St. Louis. In the end that will set up a Championship game against the Eagles and Rams in Philadelphia.

I actually hope the Packers win and the Cowboys win, that way the Cowboys will go to Philadelphia and the Packers will go to St. Louis. In the end that will set up a Championship game against the Eagles and Rams in Philadelphia.

Yes, you did say slim. But you know how defensive I can get about my "boys". LOL

By the way, on the news tonight there was a report about a group in Green Bay that is collecting gifts from Packer fans that will be sent to Arizona as a "thank you" for the outstanding win against the Vikings. I thought it was pretty funny.

Yes, you did say slim. But you know how defensive I can get about my "boys". LOL

By the way, on the news tonight there was a report about a group in Green Bay that is collecting gifts from Packer fans that will be sent to Arizona as a "thank you" for the outstanding win against the Vikings. I thought it was pretty funny.

Yeah, of course the Eagles have MEN on their team... :dude:

I also read that the Packers have invited the Arizona WR that cought the TD to sit in the owners box of this weeks game lol

I think you're just jealous because the real football is played in Green Bay! :dude:

Yeah, and the Eagles showed Green Bay what Real Football is one Monday night a month or so ago... :dude:

I think you're just jealous because the real football is played in Green Bay! :dude:

Yeah, and the Eagles showed Green Bay what Real Football is one Monday night a month or so ago... :dude:

Your birds may have won, but the game was close if I recall correctly. You even admitted to me that you weren't sure which way it would go, which is why you wouldn't bet me!

Your birds may have won, but the game was close if I recall correctly. You even admitted to me that you weren't sure which way it would go, which is why you wouldn't bet me!

lol True, it was 17 to 14 and the Eagles took it down to the wire winning the game in the final seconds. Truth be told I'd much rather the Packers go to St. Louis next week then to have them come to Philadelphia. I firmly believe the Eagles can and will beat any team they play, I'd just rather they play the easier teams to beat. I also think that the Packers are better then their 10-6 record, theor problem is that they played Brett Favre when they should have sat him down for a few weeks to heal. He cost them a few games, other wise they could have been 12-4. I know Ty Detmer is a good back up so they would have been fine with him pulling the trigger.

WOOOOOHOOOOOO! Green Bay is going to Philly! I can't wait to see those Eagles fall flat!!!!  ;)

Well we'll see what happens. I do know one thing though. I am really getting sick of hearing the announcers and commentators talk about how Brett's dad is "watching over" the packers. At every good play they were saying things like "Brett's dad caused that fumble" or "Brett's Dad made that WR make that catch". Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very sad thing that his father passed away so suddenly and unexpectedly. I really feel very bad for Brett and can empathize with him for his loss, but his father's death has nothing to do with who recovers a fumble or how well a kicker kicks. I of course want the Eagles to win, but even more now just to shut the announcers up and stop all this "Destiny" talk.

I'll give you that. It is getting out of hand. I'm still excited about seeing the Pack go up against your Eagles again, though.

Yeah, it should be a good game. The Packers are a strong team and have a good running back. That could be the difference in the game because the Eagles main weakness on Defense is their run Defense.

I will be utterly disappointed if the Eagles don't make it to the Super Bowl though, I've been waiting since 1978 for good things for the Eagles and they always seem to fall short.

I didn't write this Amy, but thought you might get a kick out of it:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/7635184.htm

Bring it on, Cheeseheads!

We love Brett, hate the Packers

By WILLIAM BUNCH

bunchw@phillynews.com

LOVE the man. Hate the town.

OK, let's drop the atty-tude for about 10 seconds, and give some props to Green Bay Packers' QB Brett Favre. All of America - yes, even us - loves the spunk of this future Hall of Famer and his Hollywood-ready saga.

It was Favre - in case you've been living in a spider hole outside of Mosul recently - who took the field 24 hours after learning that his mentor father had died of a heart attack, and had the game of his life, launching an improbable playoff drive that seems guided by a higher power.

And so, truth be told, we spent the last week praying that we'd be sitting here last night writing a hater's guide to Dallas (Michael Irvin, Jerry Jones, Lee Harvey Oswald) or Seattle (Microsoft and Starbucks - too easy!) - anybody but Green Bay.

But then we remembered something else from Green Bay, that "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." And in the National Football League, to win on Sunday is to hate.

And so we hate Green Bay.

Vince Lombardi would have wanted it that way.

It's not like it's hard to find reasons.

It's too small

Let's be honest here. Green Bay is the nation's 69th-largest TV market, and we were stunned to learn it was even that large.

Green Bay, Wis., doesn't deserve a professional sports franchise any more than our own beloved neighborhood of Frankford or Pottsville or Pottstown or wherever the heck that place is that Gov. Rendell was trying to get the 1925 NFL title restored when he was supposed to be passing the state budget.

So why do 70,000 cheese-headed folks - 70 percent of the town (don't call it a city - pul-leeez) - show up at Lambeau Field on any given Sunday? Why has pro football succeeded here and failed in places with a few more folks, like, say, Los Angeles?

It's not because the people are made of hearty midwestern stock. It's because THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE TO DO THERE!!!

Well, actually, there's one other thing to do in Green Bay - drink. Under the heading of "Entertainment," the Green Bay Press-Gazette's Web site doesn't have "Nightlife" but there's a massive section for "Taverns" - as if there's a difference between the Buck Stop Inn and the creatively named Watering Hole Tavern.

You're certainly better off drinking than eating. The "Restaurant" section lists all nine of Green Bay's Taco Bells under the heading "ethnic."

Splinter-free!

Indeed, there's only one other thing besides football that Green Bay is famous for. We'll give you a hint: It's still manufactured here by the Quilted Northern division of Georgia-Pacific, whose slogan is: "We Make the Things That Make You Feel at Home."

That's a polite way of saying: "We Make Toilet Paper!"

Yes, Green Bay actually bills itself as "the toilet paper capital of the world," although for some reason Green Bay's Web site is called titletown.org and not worldtoiletpapercapital.org.

I guess we should be grateful, since Green Bay claims that Quilted Northern made the first TP that was "splinter free." But then the Packers won't be needing Quilted Northern after they get wiped by the Eagles at the Linc this Sunday.

No Warren Buffets here

There's a sucker born every minute - in Green Bay. Somehow, civic leaders duped citizens into owning the team without reaping any benefits. A total of 4,748,910 shares is owned by 111,507 stockholders - none of whom receives any dividend on the initial investment despite the millions of dollars of TV cash that's pumped into the franchise every year.

And you thought Sun Microsystems was a bad investment!

Reggie, what happened?

But then there's something about wind chills of minus-40 that can make people act a little loopy. Consider all-time NFL sack leader Reggie White, who was beloved during his seven seasons with the Eagles for his ferocity on the field as well as his godliness off field.

Then he goes and signs a $17 million deal with the Packers, and the next you know he's standing before the Wisconsin Legislature blasting gays for comparing their plight to that of blacks and adding: "We allow rampant sin, including homosexuality and lying, and because it has run rampant in our nation, our nation is in the condition it is today."

White was promptly dropped as pitchman for Campbell's - which probably spared him from a career-threatening injury like those suffered by every other Chunky Soup endorser.

Holier than thou

The funny thing is that if White wanted to find "rampant sin," he needed only to look down the row of lockers at the Packers' All-Star tight end, Mark Chmura. The ultra-conservative Chmura refused to go to Bill Clinton's White House with his Super Bowl winning squad in 1997 and said later of the Monica Lewinsky affair: "I look like a genius now. I knew it all along."

But in 2000, Chmura - who was 31 at the time - didn't look like much of a genius when he was charged with raping his family's 17-year-old babysitter in a bathroom at a hot-tub-soaked party after Waukesha Catholic Memorial High School's spring prom.

Chmura was acquitted but conceded his "immature" behavior was "something a married man shouldn't do."

We knew it all along.

Frozen tundra, hah!

Most of the Green Bay football myth is exactly that - myth. Take Lambeau Field's legendary "frozen tundra," a clever turn-of-phrase phrase made famous by - you guessed it - a Philadelphian, legendary NFL Films' voice John Facenda.

It turns out that not only is the playing field at Lambeau not tundra (duh), it's not even frozen! Alleged tough guy Lombardi had electric heating coils installed underneath so players like pretty boy Paul Hornung wouldn't get hurt. And the Packers practice indoors for most of the season.

What a bunch of wimps.

St. Vince

Even Lombardi himself wasn't really all that. Yeah, yeah, five NFL titles, never had a losing season, rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike. But as you might guess for someone who thought winning was "the only thing," there were times when expediency won out - a cheating scandal when he was assistant coach at Army, and when he welcomed back prodigal son Hornung after the Packers star was suspended in 1963 for betting on Green Bay. (Ask Pete Rose what he thinks of that.)

And he did have losing seasons on the playing field of life, where his total devotion to football caused him to ignore his wife's growing drinking problem and to rarely be there for his kids.

So if you're scared about facing the vaunted "Pack" on Sunday, just remember the biggest loss of Lombardi's coaching career. It came in 1960.

At Franklin Field, in the NFL championship game.

17-13, Eagles.

Godspeed, Brett Favre. And good luck... next year.

I didn't write this Amy, but thought you might get a kick out of it:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/7635184.htm

Bring it on, Cheeseheads!

We love Brett, hate the Packers

By WILLIAM BUNCH

bunchw@phillynews.com

LOVE the man. Hate the town.

OK, let's drop the atty-tude for about 10 seconds, and give some props to Green Bay Packers' QB Brett Favre. All of America - yes, even us - loves the spunk of this future Hall of Famer and his Hollywood-ready saga.

It was Favre - in case you've been living in a spider hole outside of Mosul recently - who took the field 24 hours after learning that his mentor father had died of a heart attack, and had the game of his life, launching an improbable playoff drive that seems guided by a higher power.

And so, truth be told, we spent the last week praying that we'd be sitting here last night writing a hater's guide to Dallas (Michael Irvin, Jerry Jones, Lee Harvey Oswald) or Seattle (Microsoft and Starbucks - too easy!) - anybody but Green Bay.

But then we remembered something else from Green Bay, that "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." And in the National Football League, to win on Sunday is to hate.

And so we hate Green Bay.

Vince Lombardi would have wanted it that way.

It's not like it's hard to find reasons.

It's too small

Let's be honest here. Green Bay is the nation's 69th-largest TV market, and we were stunned to learn it was even that large.

Green Bay, Wis., doesn't deserve a professional sports franchise any more than our own beloved neighborhood of Frankford or Pottsville or Pottstown or wherever the heck that place is that Gov. Rendell was trying to get the 1925 NFL title restored when he was supposed to be passing the state budget.

So why do 70,000 cheese-headed folks - 70 percent of the town (don't call it a city - pul-leeez) - show up at Lambeau Field on any given Sunday? Why has pro football succeeded here and failed in places with a few more folks, like, say, Los Angeles?

It's not because the people are made of hearty midwestern stock. It's because THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE TO DO THERE!!!

Well, actually, there's one other thing to do in Green Bay - drink. Under the heading of "Entertainment," the Green Bay Press-Gazette's Web site doesn't have "Nightlife" but there's a massive section for "Taverns" - as if there's a difference between the Buck Stop Inn and the creatively named Watering Hole Tavern.

You're certainly better off drinking than eating. The "Restaurant" section lists all nine of Green Bay's Taco Bells under the heading "ethnic."

Splinter-free!

Indeed, there's only one other thing besides football that Green Bay is famous for. We'll give you a hint: It's still manufactured here by the Quilted Northern division of Georgia-Pacific, whose slogan is: "We Make the Things That Make You Feel at Home."

That's a polite way of saying: "We Make Toilet Paper!"

Yes, Green Bay actually bills itself as "the toilet paper capital of the world," although for some reason Green Bay's Web site is called titletown.org and not worldtoiletpapercapital.org.

I guess we should be grateful, since Green Bay claims that Quilted Northern made the first TP that was "splinter free." But then the Packers won't be needing Quilted Northern after they get wiped by the Eagles at the Linc this Sunday.

No Warren Buffets here

There's a sucker born every minute - in Green Bay. Somehow, civic leaders duped citizens into owning the team without reaping any benefits. A total of 4,748,910 shares is owned by 111,507 stockholders - none of whom receives any dividend on the initial investment despite the millions of dollars of TV cash that's pumped into the franchise every year.

And you thought Sun Microsystems was a bad investment!

Reggie, what happened?

But then there's something about wind chills of minus-40 that can make people act a little loopy. Consider all-time NFL sack leader Reggie White, who was beloved during his seven seasons with the Eagles for his ferocity on the field as well as his godliness off field.

Then he goes and signs a $17 million deal with the Packers, and the next you know he's standing before the Wisconsin Legislature blasting gays for comparing their plight to that of blacks and adding: "We allow rampant sin, including homosexuality and lying, and because it has run rampant in our nation, our nation is in the condition it is today."

White was promptly dropped as pitchman for Campbell's - which probably spared him from a career-threatening injury like those suffered by every other Chunky Soup endorser.

Holier than thou

The funny thing is that if White wanted to find "rampant sin," he needed only to look down the row of lockers at the Packers' All-Star tight end, Mark Chmura. The ultra-conservative Chmura refused to go to Bill Clinton's White House with his Super Bowl winning squad in 1997 and said later of the Monica Lewinsky affair: "I look like a genius now. I knew it all along."

But in 2000, Chmura - who was 31 at the time - didn't look like much of a genius when he was charged with raping his family's 17-year-old babysitter in a bathroom at a hot-tub-soaked party after Waukesha Catholic Memorial High School's spring prom.

Chmura was acquitted but conceded his "immature" behavior was "something a married man shouldn't do."

We knew it all along.

Frozen tundra, hah!

Most of the Green Bay football myth is exactly that - myth. Take Lambeau Field's legendary "frozen tundra," a clever turn-of-phrase phrase made famous by - you guessed it - a Philadelphian, legendary NFL Films' voice John Facenda.

It turns out that not only is the playing field at Lambeau not tundra (duh), it's not even frozen! Alleged tough guy Lombardi had electric heating coils installed underneath so players like pretty boy Paul Hornung wouldn't get hurt. And the Packers practice indoors for most of the season.

What a bunch of wimps.

St. Vince

Even Lombardi himself wasn't really all that. Yeah, yeah, five NFL titles, never had a losing season, rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike. But as you might guess for someone who thought winning was "the only thing," there were times when expediency won out - a cheating scandal when he was assistant coach at Army, and when he welcomed back prodigal son Hornung after the Packers star was suspended in 1963 for betting on Green Bay. (Ask Pete Rose what he thinks of that.)

And he did have losing seasons on the playing field of life, where his total devotion to football caused him to ignore his wife's growing drinking problem and to rarely be there for his kids.

So if you're scared about facing the vaunted "Pack" on Sunday, just remember the biggest loss of Lombardi's coaching career. It came in 1960.

At Franklin Field, in the NFL championship game.

17-13, Eagles.

Godspeed, Brett Favre. And good luck... next year.

So Philadelphia doesn't like Green Bay, huh? What do I care, I don't live there. LOL...just leave my Brett alone!!! See ya Sunday.... ;)

Stardate:21414.3

SEACHICKENS SUCK!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! ;)

WHAT DID I TELL YAH!!!!

Sorry I have rubbed in everybody elses face today I figured I would rub it into anybody who is a seachicken fan. ;)

hey, with respect to the Seahawks, they played a great game. but Al Harris read Hasselbeck's mind. and the Pack have declared open season on all NFC teams named for Birds...which means the Eagles are in for it. by the way, how did the Packers game look on Fox? it looked pretty cool from the North end zone at Lambaeu!

Judging from these past few weeks, I think the Packers have re-earned their nickname-"The Heart Attack Pack". Now, please don't take that comment wrong, this has NOTHING to do with the tragic death of Irv Favre. The Packers earned that nickname years ago when most of their important games went right down to the wire and kept Packer fans (like me) sitting on the edge of their seats biting their nails until the game was won by the Pack at the last possible second..kind of like Al Harris' interception! GO PACK!!!

Judging from these past few weeks, I think the Packers have re-earned their nickname-"The Heart Attack Pack".  Now, please don't take that comment wrong, this has NOTHING to do with the tragic death of Irv Favre.  The Packers earned that nickname years ago when most of their important games went right down to the wire and kept Packer fans (like me) sitting on the edge of their seats biting their nails until the game was won by the Pack at the last possible second..kind of like Al Harris' interception!  GO PACK!!!

LMAO...I had forgotten about that nickname! Thanks for the reminder.