Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Mad Cow disease in Washington State

When Alberta found the beef in the ONE COW (!) beef prices stayed the same. But all of the countries shunned us for having ONE COW INFECTED which was destroyed I might add. Now money says everyone just looks the other way with American beef.

(Whoops sorry. Not the time or place to be ranting. Oh well. What's done is done.)

When Alberta found the beef in the ONE COW (!) beef prices stayed the same. But all of the countries shunned us for having ONE COW INFECTED which was destroyed I might add. Now money says everyone just looks the other way with American beef.

(Whoops sorry. Not the time or place to be ranting. Oh well. What's done is done.)

Apparently American beef has been banned in several countries (Europe already banned it for other purposes); stock prices for major fast food changes dropped and I've heard a few people say they may be giving up on beef for good.

They only found it in one cow but I can't help thinking what if the cow grazing beside that one was infected as well but didn't show symptoms before making it to the slaughterhouse. :)

Of course, I think the growth hormone in American beef is probably dangerous anyway. (that's why Europe has partially banned it)

Oh My, Just read this fact sheet about Mad Cow Disease

Aphis.USDA

They dont' know for certain what causes it

It has an incubation of 2 - 8 years.

There is no way to decontaminate the meat

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Well Canadian beef was banned in many countries. We are only now getting back onto the world scene. It's been a huge blow to our farmers. Many of them have gone bankrupt. But I think all this media attention could be even worse. If it is going to hurt the farmers, what is going to make them report it next time? They might just shoot it, bury it, and never say another word about it. That could be even more dangerous. This is a real touchy subject.

Well Bysty, looks like they're now claiming this cow came from Canada.

Also, in the UK they suspect a recent fatality from the disease contracted it from a blood transfusion. Considering the very long incubation period that is scary.

I know a lot of ranchers will lose money from exports but I don't know if Americans will slow down or not. I will probably stay away from beef.

I live in Washington State, and I have a big huge prime rib that is going into the oven for dinner tonight!!

Also, in the UK they suspect a recent fatality from the disease contracted it from a blood transfusion.  Considering the very long incubation period that is scary.

I know a lot of ranchers will lose money from exports but I don't know if Americans will slow down or not.  I will probably stay away from beef.

It's amazing how it all starts. I've seen reports that the cow that had it in Alberta had been imported from Britain. I don't know if there is any connection between that cow and the one in the States.

Ah! American's always blame stuff on Canada. Such as the power blackout on the East Coast, when it was actually a transformer or something in Ohio. There are so many things.

Should Canada treat America, like America treated Canada? No, but... "Whatever comes, goes around"

I live in Washington State, and I have a big huge prime rib that is going into the oven for dinner tonight!!

Stardate:213987.3

I live in Washington as well and I still eat meat.Hell I'm not scared by this mad cow disease threat.If its not bad enough to were they are taking all the meat off the shelves I will still eat it!

Ya they are saying it came from Alberta. And Alberta has already found out that all the US's info on the cow is wrong. They didn't even get the age right. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. If it came from Canada, then the Albertan ranchers will take an even bigger blow. And whether or not this cow came from Alberta, blaming Canada seems to be becoming a trend.