Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

The Cloud Minders

I was watching this episode this morning on SciFi - had to leave before it was over but everytime I watch an old episode I am reminded at how good this series was.

A lot of issues

- the troglites were using terrorism to achieve their means.

- the idea of a biological basis for violence was way before its time

- the issue of torture (a thread here) to get information

- and the whole idea of class superiority/inferiority

Also some Vulcan data

- the seven year mating cylce is genetic in all Vulcans

And speaking of sexy Vulcans

-when Droxine asked if anything disturbed the seven year cycle Spock replied

"feminine beauty is always disturbing" woooooo

Note that as beautiful as Droxine was her beauty faded when her attitudes toward the Troglites surfaced. However, she was able to accept change and agree to share the burden/benefit of their ideal city.

Although I had to wonder, why didn't the Troglites build surface homes rather than live in the caverns?

I was watching this episode this morning on SciFi - had to leave before it was over but everytime I watch an old episode I am reminded at how good this series was.

Agreed! (I watched them both) TOS never ceases to amaze me with it ability to remain current and entertaining.

The current:

- the troglites were using terrorism to achieve their means.

- the idea of a biological basis for violence was way before its time

- the issue of torture (a thread here) to get information

- and the whole idea of class superiority/inferiority

And the Entertaining:

And speaking of sexy Vulcans

-when Droxine asked if anything disturbed the seven year cycle Spock replied

"feminine beauty is always disturbing" woooooo

Spock WAS having a very difficult time keeping his eyes level with hers huh? TOS exudes sexual themes so imo, there's nothing better to compare ENT to than TOS, ENT is the sequel to TOS I've been I've been waiting nearly 40 years to see.

Also some Vulcan data

- the seven year mating cylce is genetic in all Vulcans

All Vulcans? I guess that includes T'Pol. Although T'pols bout with Pon Far was brought about prematurely by (wonder of wonders) one of those rare things in the galaxy which adversely effects them I'm glad the suspense (and question) of Female Pon Far is past and the answer given at last.

Note that as beautiful as Droxine was her beauty faded when her attitudes toward the Troglites surfaced. However, she was able to accept change and agree to share the burden/benefit of their ideal city.

More reason to see Rajin return, I'm anxious to see her "apologize" to Archer for betraying the sparks she knew were between them. I don't really blame her though; choosing between Freedom or appeasing a sexual urge I too would choose freedom. For that reason I think Archer will accept her apology. :laugh: but now I'm rambling.

Although I had to wonder, why didn't the Troglites build surface homes rather than live in the caverns?

They never thought of it? Perhaps the caves were sufficient shelter from the elements and besides they had their sights set much higher than the surface: Stratos.

Nothing quite like The Original Series..And the topics still relate to todays culture and issues..The Cloud Minders did have a lot of good elements.. I had forgotten about Spock's comment to Droxine..It's going to be fun to re-discover all these shows again in the TOS season sets next year..

Edited by spacetigger

Well, this is one of my least favorites, but hey, it's classic Star Trek so I like it! :)

The acting by the guest stars wasn't too good, and the episode kind of drug along ... too much sociopolitical mumbo-jumbo and not enough action (the problem with many third season episodes). This was not the Captian Kirk of the first two seasons ... who would have simply beamed down some armed parties and took the zienite.