Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Science versus Military

I'm going with the assumption that season three will wind up the Xindi arc and season four will be off to bigger and better things.

Should the new mission be more scientific discovery to see what's out there - or should the emphasis be on discoveries with defensive capababilities and in developing diplomatic ties with other races.

I definitely think diplomacy should be given a higher priority (maybe a new character will show up in season four - an anthropologist maybe)

I know a lot of scientific research now is funded by the military for defensive use but other discoveries come from it. In fact, the scientists on board will have to answer this, but do we have pure research for the sake of research or is it always attached to some particular interest that is willing to foot the bill?

I definitely think the next season should be about making diplomatic ties with other races, the beginning of what will become the Federation.

And later on I also want to see the Romulan War.

I'd like to see Season 4, and early Season 5, go the route of scientific and diplomatic stand-alone episodes. Then I'd like to see late-Season 5 to the series finale be about the Romulan War, with the founding of the Federation in a big screen movie.

If Enterprise is truly teetering on the edge of the abyss as has been rumored then purely scientific episodes will push the show over the edge. Starfleet, at this point in their history hasn't really gotten to the point of purely scientific missions. They are exploring new and unknown territory, science will be a side effect to their missions but the episodes shouldn't revolve around those aspects, IMO. What we need, if the show is teetering is more action adventure. The "science" episodes tend to make an average non-Trek fan's eyes glaze over as they fall asleep in front of the TV. Am I right Amy?

Maybe they shouldn't be "at war" for the rest of their run, but they should keep the action and adventure up. After all, they are the first humans out there. There's plenty of time for science ships to scan planets and analyse a nebula later, Enterprise just needs to push on.

THe main aspect I'd like to see them go after when they finish with the Xindi is the relationship with the Xindi. I want to see more of Shran and would love to see a close friendship develope between Archer and Shran. After all they have something in common, they dislike the Vulcans. I'd really like to see Shran become a semi-regular, it would have been great if Starfleet and the Andorians had worked out a deal where Shran and a team of commandos would travel with Enterprise to help Earth and the Pink Skins. I can't wait to see the new Shran episode when it airs!

That may be the case that you and some others are bored with the action but the fact of it is that they (tptb) have to market the show to the masses and the action adventure is what sells. The purely scientific stuff won't cut it with the general viewing audiences. I'm sure there will be a few episodes made that are like that but it won't be a majority of the episodes. TPTB have to make episodes that will "sell" and the things that "sell" are the things that you have said you are bored with or don't like, things like the action adventure and episodes that show a bit of skin. Right or wrong that's just how it is.

I have to say all special effects an no plot bores me as well. I think that is why I liked Similitude so well. I think a balance is needed.

Besides they could still have action if they went about exploration -

I have to say all special effects an no plot bores me as well.  I think that is why I liked Similitude so well.  I think a balance is needed.

Esploration yes, but purely science missions? I'm not saying they should have all effects all the time. Action/Adventure entails more then special effects. But the fastest way to kill the show is to make it a slow, boring "lets study every little thing to the last detail" kind of show. To keep it going they will need to fly in each week, have an adventure and fly off to the next one next week.

TPTB can't make the show "for" STar Trek fans, they have to make it for the Masses, if they don't the show won't last.

I have to say all special effects an no plot bores me as well.  I think that is why I liked Similitude so well.  I think a balance is needed.

Esploration yes, but purely science missions? I'm not saying they should have all effects all the time. Action/Adventure entails more then special effects. But the fastest way to kill the show is to make it a slow, boring "lets study every little thing to the last detail" kind of show. To keep it going they will need to fly in each week, have an adventure and fly off to the next one next week.

TPTB can't make the show "for" STar Trek fans, they have to make it for the Masses, if they don't the show won't last.

I think my original intent didn't come across very well. I was thinking about the series Seaquest and how the Dr. and Captain argued over whether they were a research vessel or a military vessel.

And that is what I was asking - should their mission be one of exploration or one of defending the territory?

I definitly want to see more with the Andorians, and the Vulcans, and probably more species in the early foundation of the Federation. I love great science episodes, but VBG is probably right that the show has to appeal to new crowds to stay alive.

Well, VBG, I have no problem with what you said about appealing to a broad audience. Remember the early episodes of TNG? There weren't big space battles or anything like that, just a good science fiction story. I think Trek needs to return to that. I don't mind action, but I think Trek's been depending too much on "space battles" lately.

I agree with VBG, they need and will probably make episodes with pretty much action and adventure. But that doesn't mean they can't have exploration as the main theme, I think Enterprise has been very good at keeping a balance between action, exploration and science.

I think that episodes can be very emotional and still contain action and adventure. As long as the story is good, I don't mind if they blow something up from time to time..

Please excuse me for my bad english, it can be quite difficult to express myself when I can't do it in my own language :hat:

Edited by Stelfan

I'm a fan of "peaceful exploration". Therefore a go for science stories - but packed in thrilling stories as seen in "Similitude", "Extinction" or "Dear Doctor".

I'd also like to see Shran back, get to know more about the TCW and I can't get enough of stories concerning the background of the main character and their friendship.