The key to doing covers is to do something different with them. Some of the best covers I have ever heard usually take the original and play it with a different style of music.

I still remember the punk band I once heard do a cover of "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood". Let's just say I will never hear that song the same way again. :jaw:

The funniest cover I ever heard was the Austin Lounge Lizards doing Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage" as a bluegrass tune. :laugh:

Sometimes, a cover can be better than the original. I remember once hearing a jazz band cover Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love". Frank Sinatra made a career of doing covers better than the originals: "New York, New York" and "My Way" come to mind. Who can forget David Lee Roth's cover of "Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody"? (I know they were originally separate songs, but he brought them together quite well) Sinead O'Conner's cover of "Nothing Compares 2 U" is so much more heart-wrenching than Prince's version, even though he wrote it.

I like covers, but I hate remixes. And I only really like punk covers. There is this great band called 'Me First and the Gimme Gimmes' which is entirely a punk cover band. They've done stuff like "Ms. Robinson", "I Believe I Can Fly", "Rocketman" and made them into punk covers. They are good.

That depends on how good the cover is made :jaw:

I'm not much into covers, I want to hear "new music", but if a cover is nicely done, why not. :o

And I don't like remixes either.... :laugh:

Mrs. Captain Picard

It depends on the cover. I agree that there are some that are better than the original but there are also some songs that people shouldn't even attempt to cover. I can't think of anyone who has covered a Beatles's song better than the original.

I love the Beatles' cover of Buddy Holly's Words of Love. It ranks up there with the original.