Sign in to follow this  
Big_Steve

And The Children Shall Lead

Many feel that "And The Children Shall Lead" was the worst episode, but I kind of liked it ...

I thought most of the episode had a Twilight Zone feel. You could almost hear Twilight Zone music in the background when Kirk was giving out orders that no one could/would follow or understand. Then Chekov tries to arrest Kirk and Spock ... "Where did you hear these orders ensign?" ... do-DO-do-do do-DO-do-do ;)

What is your opinion of this episode?

BTW, yes, it was I that cross posted this somewhere else. I like startrekfans.net and wish there were more interest in TOS here ... perhaps we can change that ;)

No, "Spock's Brain" is probably the worst TOS episode. ^-^

"And the Children Shall Lead" was actually the first TOS episode I saw, and I don't think it was that bad. It was strange, sure, but it was cute and interesting. Seeing Kirk loose control like that was just sad. It was also sad when the kids realized that their parents were dead. The whole ice cream thing was great. "Busy, busy, busy, busy!" The shaking fists and accompanying music were kind of corny, but other than that, it was an OK episode. I always think it's fun to see kids in Star Trek. It's interesting to see how the adults interact with them.

No, And the children shall leave was not the worse episode. I actually kinda liked this one..Amazing to see a group of kids create that much havok on a starship..I liked the knives that Sulu seen on the viewscreen! Worse TOS episode? My opinion tends to lean towards Spocks Brain..But it's TOS so I'll watch it!!

Well, it wasn't a great episode, or possibly even a good episode, but it was an ok episode and I liked it ... I tought it was one of the more chilling episodes of Star Trek.

The other forum thought the chant used by the children to summon up the Gorgan was more than they could bare, I too thought it was kind of corny, but I get around it by using the mute button :biggrin: Also the casting of Melvin Belli as the "friendly angel" (in what appears to be a dress) was frowned upon.

I thought it was a great story idea and probably could have been done better. Perhaps not seeing what was so terrifing to the crew members (swords in space, old age, etc.) would have made it even more chilling.

BTW, I kind of liked "Spock's Brain" too, and personally believe that "Turnabout Intruder" is about as bad as it got in Star Trek.

Edited by Big_Steve

It was far from the worst episode, imo. I still think "Spock's Brain" holds that distinction.

The casting of Melvin Belli was a bit strange (I always wondered how that came about). It's also interesting to note that one of the children was portrayed by Belli's son, Caesar.

I too like ATCSL, it reminds me of a ST film I enjoy: ST5: The Final Frontier. Now I'm wondering if the Gorgon and the entity at Shak-a-ree could be related, know what I mean?

I too like ATCSL, it reminds me of a ST film I enjoy: ST5: The Final Frontier. Now I'm wondering if the Gorgon and the entity at Shak-a-ree could be related, know what I mean?

Yes, the inner beast that must be deal with, and you make an interesting point, perhaps they are the same race of beings?

Edited by Big_Steve

Perhaps. Or perhaps they are one in the same?

Remember in TNG episode The Nth Degree, the Race that helped Barkley take the Ent to the center of the galaxy, they explored by extending their consciousnesses into the galaxy right? Perhaps in this way they encountered the Gorgon and decided for the good of the galaxy to imprison him. Someone may ask: 'but weren't they different in appearance?' the entity in ST5 said he had many faces, he was even apperaring to the away team in the form of his captors: the big floating head.

Another possible candidate to be 'one of them' is the little "girl" in TNG episode Imaginary Friend.

But there was one thing I always wondered. If Sulu's greatest fear is knives and swords and things, why is his "inner self" in "The Naked Time" a swordsman? It's just been something that's always bugged me.

And Alterego, I always love your speculation. You can really tie things together. Have you ever written any fan fiction about some of your ideas?

But there was one thing I always wondered.  If Sulu's greatest fear is knives and swords and things, why is his "inner self" in "The Naked Time" a swordsman?  It's just been something that's always bugged me.

Sulu didn't fear the knives, he feared death.

I still think it would have been better if they hadn't tried to show us what was terrifying them so much ... just made things confusing.

Edited by Big_Steve

And Alterego, I always love your speculation.  You can really tie things together.  Have you ever written any fan fiction about some of your ideas?

Well thank you very much ensign_beedrill (soon to be Admiral_beedrill :laugh: )

Actually I've only ever tried my hand at fanfic once, (it's in the fanfic forum, "Generations, an alternate ending") it's pretty bad writing wise and I didn't get all the dialogue from the film correct but I'm still happy with the core idea I based the new ending on.

But there was one thing I always wondered. If Sulu's greatest fear is knives and swords and things, why is his "inner self" in "The Naked Time" a swordsman? It's just been something that's always bugged me.

Big_Steve Posted on Dec 20 2003, 03:44 AM

Sulu didn't fear the knives, he feared death.

I believe Big_Steve is correct on this point, Gorgon taught (and helped) the children to discover whatever it was the victim most enjoyed and turn it around to become the weapon or object of fear against them.

I still think Spock's brain is still the worst.  And the Cildren shall Lead had a good plot but it's execution was a little bit flawed.  The kids wore horrible costumes too.

Agreed. And in spite of my love for TOS reruns, I actually turned off the television and went to bed when I recently saw that the episode was going to be " Spock's Brain."

Well, I can't seem to think of what I would pick as the worst Star Trek episode...

doctorwho42avenger@hotmail.com

The thing about meddling with time is that one moment something is real, the next, it's been erased. Probability becomes just a possibility. Established truth becomes a theoretical falsehood. Like dominoes, as one timeline falls, the others come cascading down around it. You can engineer new timelines, new possibilities but before long, the distinction between what is, what was, what might be and what never can be becomes blurred.

Out of this grow myths, lies and legends. The Doctor was one such legend, but no one knows whether he truly ever existed. Well, not now they don't. The Mighty One, ruling the multiverses from the eternal city of Chronopolis has made sure of that. (Back Cover of the audio drama of 'Doctor Who: Unbound: He Jests At Scars'

wat r u people talking about?

The TOS episode 'And The Children Shall Lead'..Have you seen it?..Certainly not the best TOS episode. But I don't believe it was the worst either..I still feel 'Spock's Brain' is the worst. But I'll watch it because it's TOS..

Edited by spacetigger

Brain Brain what is Brain!!??

That wasn't that bad. The beginning always gave me shivers when the dr had to tell the Capt. what happened to Spock. But those stupid women, and idiot men, good grief.

The Children shall lead was ok, but the one I really disliked was the one with the space hippies! That was bad.