Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

Season 7 Brooks interview

Have any of you watched the interview with Avery Brooks on the Season 7 DVDs? (Crew Dossier Benjamin Sisko.)

I loved DS9 and I thought Brooks was wonderful as Sisko, but he seems a little less than excited about being part of the series, don't you think? I'm glad I didn't know how he felt about DS9 while the show was on the air and now I wish I didn't know how he felt about it now that I have the run of the series on DVD.

It has just cast somewhat of a pall over the whole thing for me, which I hope shall pass.

On the other hand, anytime they are interviewing Nana Visitor, Armin Shimmerman, Alexander Siddig, or Rene Auberjoinois you really feel like these people were honored to be part of the franchise and grateful to be working so steadily. To a lesser extent you get that feeling from Colm Meany, but just like Miles he just gives off the air of a lunch-box totin' joe ... it's his job. (I love Colm, though, and don't fault him).

I just thought that Brooks seemed a bit condescending and less attached to his castmates than the rest of the actors involved. Lighten up, Hawk!

P.S. I doubt we'll ever see a DS9 movie because I don't think Brooks would do it. Unless maybe Cirroc Lofton asked him to.

I posted this same message by mistake under the topic "Avery Brooks as Sisko." I specifically am interested in other opinions on the interview, not necessarily Brooks performance as the good captain.

We have it but it's still un-opened, still on disk one. :( I'm sorry to hear about Brooks attitude though, it really hurts when Trek stars show their asses. :(

I just now hve gotten to the end of the Season 7 DVDs. I should be able to see the interviews and extras tomorrow night. I will reserve judgement on the Brooks interview until I see it myself. It does sound like I'll be disappointed though. It's too bad because I really liked him in DS9....

Well, I have now just finished off the 7th Season DS9 DVDs. I watched 'What you leave behind' and the Special Features tonight. And gul_nodrog, I think that you should re-watch the Avery Brooks interview. I don't have a problem with it at all. I guess I'm just not seeing what you saw. He wasn't angry or nasty toward his cast mates and crew. I guess you needed to see some excitement from him. I don't think that's his style. I enjoyed his interview and all the other Special Features. It seemed like it was an enjoyable experience for them. I know I'll have many, many hours of enjoyment watching all those DVDs. Let's not lose sight that Avery Brooks and all the others are only actors playing a role.. And playing it well I might add..

Well, I have now just finished off the 7th Season DS9 DVDs. I watched 'What you leave behind' and the Special Features tonight. And  gul_nodrog, I think that you should re-watch the Avery Brooks interview. I don't have a problem with it at all. I guess I'm just not seeing what you saw. He wasn't angry or nasty toward his cast mates and crew. I guess you needed to see some excitement from him. I don't think that's his style. I enjoyed his interview and all the other Special Features. It seemed like it was an enjoyable experience for them. I know I'll have many, many hours of enjoyment watching all those DVDs. Let's not lose sight that Avery Brooks and all the others are only actors playing a role.. And playing it well I might add..

I will watch it again ... maybe I was just in a bad mood or something. I have had a cold and was high on Nyquil at the time!

Anyway, I guess the statement that kind of stuck with me was when he said something to the effect of: You've got to honor your commitments and see something through no matter how unpleasant ... something like that. Maybe that was just a stab at Terry Farrell!?!

You're exactly right, they are just actors playing a part. However, I don't see Brooks as any more of a high profile actor than Auberjoinois. They were both regulars on separate t.v. show years before DS9 and that's about all I'd ever seen them in before DS9. I was just expecting a little more gratitude from Brooks for having steady work in Hollywood ... much like Rene had. In the Odo interview, I just remember him talking about how grateful he was for the steady work and the paycheck because he was putting his kids through college at the time. He just seemed so much more "real".

I'll look at it again, though.

Anyway, I guess the statement that kind of stuck with me was when he said something to the effect of:  You've got to honor your commitments and see something through no matter how unpleasant ... something like that.  Maybe that was just a stab at Terry Farrell!?!

I too will re-watch the Brooks interview again tonight. I'll see if I can hear that quote that you have stated. I was still dazed from watching 'What you leave behind' when I watched the Brooks interview..I do seem to remember that he said he wanted to quit the series early on and he decided to hang in there. I'm so glad he made it thru the 7 years. His portrayal of Sisco was fantastic..

Avery Brooks wes never really "against" being on DS9 but he was never overly excited or in awe of it either. He has come out and said that if a movie were proposed he'd be in for it.

Some actors though like to have a "run" with a character and when that run is over they want to move on to other things and not look back. The "problem" with actors and Star Trek is that when they become a Star Trek star they are stepping into a whole culture unlike anything else in any other acting situation. Star Trek fans completely embrace the stars of the shows, even the ones that aren't on screen all the time or aren't all that popular. Avery Brooks will forever be Ben Sisko, he has no choice in that. William Shatner will forever be Jim Kirk, he has no choice in that. Some of the actors grow to resent that, or at least dislike that. This could be what you are sensing from Avery Brooks.

He has come out and said that if a movie were proposed he'd be in for it.

I'm pleased to hear that. I really want to see a DS9 movie ... in spite of what Ira Steven Behr and Ronald Moore think, there were a lot of loose ends at the end of the series.

Brooks should come back and reprise his role for the big screen ... I'm so glad to hear he's for it.

I just watched the interview and what I get from it is a sense of joy from Avery. A joy for the journey of 7 years but also a joy that it was completed. In reading other things in the past it is my understanding that making an hour long weekly TV show is very hard, long work. On the lines of 18 to 20 hours per day often 6 to 7 days per week. You finish the days work, go home eat something, get a few hours sleep then get up and start all over the next day. And it's like that day in and day out. And my understanding is that Star Trek is even harder then a typical non-sci-fi show simply because of how detailed they are and how much we the fans demand from the show we love. They really do have to be almost perfect each week to please Trekkies, and I think they do an awesome job of doing exactly that. We only see the finished product and it looks like fun, glamorous work but I'm sure it's a very hard job to do for any length of time.

So I believe when he talks of enduring for 7 years he's speaking of the day to day strain that making the show caused. That was the major reason Terry left the show with only 1 season left in it's run.