Sign in to follow this  
~Crims~

Caretaker

As I just mentioned in another thread I watched Caretaker today right after End Game which was on yesterday. I haven't seen caretaker since it originally aired so it's kind of interesting to know how much characters have changed, both in looks and personality.

- Paris' hair really thinned out and he was a lot skinnier. Not that he aged badly, but I think he aged the most.

- Tim Russ portrayed Tuvok a little differently. Tuvok always had a very distinct way of talking and in Caretaker he just sounds different.

- Seeing the doctor with little personality was interesting... I don't think anybody guessed he would become what we he did based on this episode

- Chakotay really disliked Paris, I had completely forgot about that

- Harry and Tom were friends from day one, I think that was a starter point for the type of relationships we'd see develop in later episodes.

Well, that's it.

I think that watching the characters change in apperience and personality is one of the coolest things about the show. My faves were The Doctor turning into a person and Tom and B'Elanna's relationship.

What a wonderful stage Caretaker set for the series, I remember my catch-phrase for it was "Oops! I crapped my pant's!" The next four or five episodes kept me running for clean drawers as well. Then, Kazon space went on and on and on and on... Thank goodness for the Gems I know do exist with-in the series, like that one with the Dream Clown... Michael McKean, for example. ;)

The UPN affiliate in my home town reaired both parts of "Caretaker" not to long ago. It was awesome to see it from the beginning again. I thought the concept of the "Caretaker" was cool too. I need to download this again! Thanks.

The man that played the Caretaker (Basil Langton) is my bosses real life father.I have a great picture of the two of us together,he is a really sweet old guy.

I loved the episode and it is one of the few that I have taped that have survived. I have always loved going back to watch it just to remind myself how the series started.

I am a huge Voyager fan, and have taped many of the episodes. You are right in looking at the Caretaker......the beginnings of Voyager, and 7 years later watching The End game, you can really see changes in the characters both physically and personality wise. One charcter I'd also like to mention is B'Elanna Torres. If you look back at the Caretaker , you will see that over the years her hair style changed. It changed in terms of how she wore it, and also it went from a much shorter cut to a shoulder length hair do. In addition, B'Elanna really hated Seven when Seven came on board Voyager. But as the episodes progressed and there was more forced interaction between the two; they actually developed a liking and a respect for each other. I remember an episode where Seven was dying, and B'Elanna was the crew member who perhaps was able to provide the greatest comfort to Seven in her time of need.

But more to the point, the growth of all the characters in terms of their personalities and relationships with each other,was a beautiful plot that developed along with the individual themes that ran through each episode. From the Captain on down, each character changed as a result of that journey in space. Even Nelix, became a personality to be taken more seriously, as the journey went on. And at the time of his departure from the ship, though I was happy for him, I actually shed a few tears, especially when Tuvok did his foot taping/dance just before Nelix left the ship. Voyager was a SPECIAL series......It gave us so much to think about. ;)