Sign in to follow this  
amitabhverma8

Putting the Roddenberry Back in Star Trek is on,

December 05, 2003 - Many fans may point to the loss of Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek, as a leading factor in the franchise's decline. As a visionary and a captain, his shoes at Paramount may never be filled; however, the decision-makers behind Enterprise and the ongoing Star Trek films may bring on another Roddenberry to address some of their most pressing problems.

Eugene W. Roddenberry, one of Gene Roddenberry's sons, tells Sy Fy Portal that he is in negotiations to become an official representative of Viacom-Paramount. If the deal is made, Eugene would serve as a conduit and liaison between the studio and the franchise's fans. It is hoped that Roddenberry Junior might heal the rift between Star Trek's producers and the once-devoted viewers who have become disenfranchised and disinterested in recent years.

Roddenberry, who has long had an online Trek-related presence through his online store, says the negotiations are part of the reworking of the Roddenberry family's merchandise deal. It's not clear yet how much influence – if any – with Star Trek's producers Roddenberry would have.

Could this be a sign that Viacom-Paramount is finally addressing their own unwillingness and inability to make a product that fans want to watch? Does it mean that the studio is willing to do less dictating and more creating? Roddenberry seems to think it's possible.

"People always ask me if I know what [star Trek executive producer] Rick Berman is doing, because people think I have him on speed dial," Roddenberry said. "Paramount could be listening to me on how to get the fans more involved, and how to not keep pissing them off. We could help make Paramount more user friendly. It's a waste of time and money for them to be the evil empire.

"I think they're open to some new ideas. They don't have to let the cat out of the bag on everything, but it is OK to leak a few things here and there, and strategize. It might be a bit more of a pipe dream, but the door is open. Negotiations are being done, and they seem willing to use my connection to the audience and the fans for good."

Producer Rick Berman is more and more the man that fans point fingers at when they criticize the decline of their favorite sci-fi franchise. Longtime Trek writer Ron Moore told IGN Filmforce in an exclusive interview this week how Berman's hold and control over the franchise was beginning to grow even while Roddenberry was still alive, back in the heady days of The Next Generation.

IGNFF: When you talk about the rise of Rick's influence in the show, and the transition from Gene to Rick, these "rules" that pop up seem quite arbitrary…

MOORE: Well, we certainly felt that they were, at times. I remember when we started, Rick had a rule that he said was Gene's rule – and I don't know that it really was…

IGNFF: But he could claim anything by that point.

MOORE: Yeah. Rick's rule was that you couldn't mention Kirk or Spock, in any context. Their names were not allowed to be mentioned. And it got to the point where – Ira probably told you this story – where he and I were working on "Sarek" in Season 3, and Sarek is doing this whole mindmeld thing with Picard, and we're dealing with his life and his mental well-being, and to an extent his emotional well-being. And how can you not mention Spock? And Rick was like, "No. You can't mention his name." ... It was absurd. And years later, this came up in some context with Rick, and Rick just looked at us like, "I never said that. Did I? Did I ever have that rule? I don't know why I had that rule." But it didn't matter anymore.

Friction between Berman and the writers became more and more frequent as TNG wrapped up and Deep Space Nine took up the Star Trek torch. The writing staff frequently ended up lying to Berman and and going behind his back just to make a product they were happy with.

Every series since TNG has slid in popularity and ratings, with Enterprise experiencing a serious case of doldrums. Last week's Thanksgiving episode was one of the least watched Star Trek episode ever.

Will getting in touch with the fans rejuvenate Star Trek? Eugene Roddenberry is willing to give it a shot, if Paramount is.

if you want to give your view regarding this post your query on this email address.

paul@ign.com

you can go to this link and read and post your query

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/445/4450....html?fromint=1

and also read the new Ron moore interview.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/444/444306p1.html

MOORE: Yeah. Rick's rule was that you couldn't mention Kirk or Spock, in any context. Their names were not allowed to be mentioned. And it got to the point where – Ira probably told you this story – where he and I were working on "Sarek" in Season 3, and Sarek is doing this whole mindmeld thing with Picard, and we're dealing with his life and his mental well-being, and to an extent his emotional well-being. And how can you not mention Spock? And Rick was like, "No. You can't mention his name."

Every series since TNG has slid in popularity and ratings, with Enterprise experiencing a serious case of doldrums. Last week's Thanksgiving episode was one of the least watched Star Trek episode ever.

Rick's Rule -- very sad indeed, but at least now I know I'm not the only person who doesn't like Berman Trek! I sometimes feel like an outcast here at startrekfans ... DS9 and Enterprise rule! B)

Stardate:213934.9

OMG thats a dumb rule.How can you not mention Kirk or Spock??!!I mean come on they made Star Trek!!Without them Star Trek would not be what it is today!!!!

I hope Eugene gets on board.It would be nice to have a Roddenbury around the franchise again.

I think that it would be cool to have him help out as long as he is not like his father. I have read to many books that said Roddenberry took credit for things that he did not do.

I think that it would be cool to have him help out as long as he is not like his father.  I have read to many books that said Roddenberry took credit for things that he did not do.

Gene Roddenberry created Star Trek, and as such, deserves credit for everything derived from or added to it. For instance, as a musician, I can't cover a standard pop song without giving credit (not to mention licencing fees) to the original creator of the work. It was Gene's idea. And I hope his son is like him, maybe then we can get trek moving back in the right direction :biggrin:

I can kind of see a point to 'Rick's Rule'. I mean, not to the total extreme that he does, but more making the show it's own thing. That way when you do have references to previous shows and charcters it would seem more natural. It's like a General fighting in Iraq who would mention General Patton subtly and a Navy Admiral asking about a channel which was first discovered by a famous adventurer. If it's over done then it looks like the writers are going out of their way to bring the Original Series.

Like I said, I can't kind of see it, but Berman is being a childish about it.

I did not mean we should not give Gene no credit he was the spark but there was a lot of other people that made star trek what it was and without them I bet star trek would not be the show that it is today. The one book I will always say to read on this topic is inside star trek. It gives a new light on a great show.

Do you think that one of the reasons that Beman did not want Kirk or Spock mentioned is because he's had no or very little creative control over the characters? I'm glad to see an Roddenberry willing to bridge the gap between many of the fans and Paramount. TPTB at at Paramount including Berman seems to have had this assembly line attitude towards trek. Meaning that if you make it they will watch or buy it just because it's ST and the quality of the product not being much of a big deal. I do think they are turning that around in the recent Ent season though.

Edited by Admiral Kirk

I can kind of see a point to 'Rick's Rule'. I mean, not to the total extreme that he does, but more making the show it's own thing ... If it's over done then it looks like the writers are going out of their way to bring the Original Series.

And I say what's wrong with that? IMHO, this is what the franchise needs right now. I'm not saying that they should bring back TOS, but a new TOS era series is well overdue.

MOORE: Yeah. Rick's rule was that you couldn't mention Kirk or Spock, in any context. Their names were not allowed to be mentioned. And it got to the point where – Ira probably told you this story – where he and I were working on "Sarek" in Season 3, and Sarek is doing this whole mindmeld thing with Picard, and we're dealing with his life and his mental well-being, and to an extent his emotional well-being. And how can you not mention Spock? And Rick was like, "No. You can't mention his name." ... It was absurd. And years later, this came up in some context with Rick, and Rick just looked at us like, "I never said that. Did I? Did I ever have that rule? I don't know why I had that rule." But it didn't matter anymore.

Friction between Berman and the writers became more and more frequent as TNG wrapped up and Deep Space Nine took up the Star Trek torch. The writing staff frequently ended up lying to Berman and and going behind his back just to make a product they were happy with.

I looked at this interview. Ya know, by bad mouthing Berman and all, they're kind'a killing the chance of ever making a DS9 movie. Also, what's with this "You can't mention Kirk or Spock crap? McCoy, Spock, and Scotty were on TNG, DS9 did an episode which used footage from TOS, and Sulu showed up on VOY. Janeway even made referrences to Kirk and the crew at least twice durring the coarse of VOY.

I know there were frictions, as this happens in the business world, but I just don't believe Berman would have a rule as lame as, "You can't mention Kirk or Spock."