Sign in to follow this  
edmcgon

Black & White Movies

What was the best movie filmed in black & white ever made? For purposes of this thread, let us exclude more current movies which were filmed in black & white for effect (i.e. "Young Frankenstein" and "Schindler's List").

My choice would be "Citizen Kane". For a movie made in the late 40's, it has withstood the test of time quite well. :clap:;)

One of my all time favorites is Black and White and Silent

Fritz Langs Meropolis.

the story is gripping and for the time the 1920's the SFX where way above its time and as for stand the test of time it has one of the most enduring images of 20th century Sci-fi the robot Maria.

robot.jpg

My choice would be "Citizen Kane". For a movie made in the late 40's, it has withstood the test of time quite well.  :clap:  ;)

The American Film Institute agrees with you. They considered that the number one movie of the First 100 years of film. My vote would go to Casablanca - they rated that number two.

If I can't say 'Young Frankenstein' ;) ...I'll have to go with Casablanca. That was a great movie. Hard to believe but I can't remember even watching Citizen Kane! Of course I've heard the name before..

I have to go with the Christmas classic "It's a Wonderful Life". I have no idea how many times I've seen this movie still I don't think I'll ever grow tired of it. I think Jimmy Stewert is one of the greatest actors of all time!

I have to go with the Christmas classic "It's a Wonderful Life". I have no idea how many times I've seen this movie still I don't think I'll ever grow tired of it.  I think Jimmy Stewert is one of the greatest actors of all time!

I have to agree....It's A Wonderful Life is a film I believe everyone should see at least once. It happens to be a personal favorite of mine, but it will make you think about how good you have it and how a simple act can start a domino effect that will last for years. It's staggering to think of how many lives we touch without realizing we've made any difference.

I love Casablanca. Great movie but I'm also a Bogart fan. He made a lot of great movies.

On the comedy side, I really enjoy Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace. That's a great!

My favourite Christmas movie is the Alastair Sim's version of A Christmas Carol but I also enjoy It's A Wonderful Life and Miracle on 42nd Street (the original).

One of my all time favorites is Black and White and Silent

Fritz Langs Meropolis.

the story is gripping and for the time the 1920's the SFX where way above its time and as for stand the test of time it has one of the most enduring images of 20th century Sci-fi the robot Maria.

robot.jpg

If I were to limit this thread to silent films, I would have to choose "Nosferatu". The silent aspect of this movie makes it even more eerie. Possibly the best vampire film ever made.

Casablanca or It's a Wonderful Life. Those movies are great.

(And, yes, Humphrey Bogart is sooo cool... BUT not as cool as Steve McQueen. Lol)

I have to go with Frankenstein. I guess because it was the first contact I ever had with a film that asked a morale question, that being; "Should we do a thing just because we can?"