Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Starfleet Flagship

We all know that the Enterprise is always the flagship of the Federation. I've always wondered, what was the flagship of the Federation between the destruction of the Enterprise-C and the building of the Enterprise-D. I'm sure they had one in those 20 some years.

My theory was that it was the Excelsior. According to Interface (TNG) the Excelsior was still in service in 2370 so it presumably could have been the flagship during that time period I've mentioned. It could've even been under Sulu's command. Chakotay said that Captain Sulu sponsored his entry into starfleet and that would've have been just after the specified time.

Anyone else have a theory? (I don't think I posted this here, I did once over at the Startrek.com boards and didn't get any enthusiastic responses).

I allways believed that the Enterprise-A was the first flagship as the original NCC-1701 never seemed to do "Flagship" duties. Since the Enterprise-D was not christenned for some time, due to Starfleet hoping the Enterprise-C would return some day, they probably just picked their best ship, then transferred the flagship name over to the Enterprise-D, once the Ent-C had been declared "lost".