Sign in to follow this  
thinkoutofthebox

Do chiropractors know what they are doing?

Should I get a chiropractor???  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get a chiropractor???

• Yes
    • No
    • Go to a physical theripist

I went into a chiropractor the other day and got some x-rays on my body and I found out the the curve in my neck is %^*& up and that it is actually curving slightly backwards. I saw the x-rays and I believe that they are good x-rays. He says he can help me get my curve normal.

Now comes my problem. A lot of people I know say that chiropractors have helped them a lot and a lot of people I know say that chiropractors have messed them up really bad. Now I know that there will always be some bad apples ect. Also a lot of my friends that had trouble with chiropractors said to see a physical therapist. So I want to know what I should do to get my neck normal. (My neck is causing a lot of headaches and making me miserable and I don't want to live this way)

So what should I do. :clap:

You don't need physical therapy, you need to have your neck worked on. My dad had his right leg go numb for like 15 years, also effecting his right arm and hand. He finally decided to go to a chiropractor, a local one who doesn't charge much, and when he came home, he could wiggle his toes! :clap:

So, based on that, I have to say that chiropractors aren't full of bull, but know what they're doing. Also, is there any chance that it's your atlas that's missaligned?

Yes, chiropractors know what they are doing and I think that you should go to one. I occasionally go and he helps me alot with my back and neck. I have a curved spine and like you I get headaches. The adjustments he makes to my back and neck really make a difference. I feel great when I leave there. I don't have to go as often as I used to. But every so often I still go..

Edited by spacetigger

I went into a chiropractor the other day and got some x-rays on my body and I found out the the curve in my neck is %^*& up and that it is actually curving slightly backwards.  I saw the x-rays and I believe that they are good x-rays. He says he can help me get my curve normal. 

Now comes my problem.  A lot of people I know say that chiropractors have helped them a lot and a lot of people I know say that chiropractors have messed them up really bad.  Now I know that there will always be some bad apples ect.  Also a lot of my friends that had trouble with chiropractors said to see a physical therapist.  So I want to know what I should do to get my neck normal.  (My neck is causing a lot of headaches and making me miserable and I don't want to live this way)

So what should I do. :eek:

I have a slight scoliosis and I went to a chiropractor a few times. To be honest, all she did was cause more pain. She was all into finding pressure points and pressing on them as hard as she could. It was almost unbearable. Then she would do a bit of manipulation with my kneck and another one with my legs. I can remember her stretching my legs in weird positions until something in my pelvis cracked - it was horrible, I felt like my legs were going to break while she did that!! She told me all this body manipulation would help straighten my spine a bit but I don't think it did.

I found that doing yoga was much better. Its your choice though because some people I've talked too say chiropractors are better than physiotherapists and the other people say its vice versa.

Linda

both my parents go to a Chiro, he's brilliant. He's even done a bit with me...apart from a few "normal" degredations of the spine, im healthy. I would recommend an appointment ASAP.

Chiropractors are kind of like psychics: They might make you feel better for awhile, but they don't fix the underlying problems which made you feel bad in the first place.

Notice that most people who swear by chiropractors have to keep going back for "readjustments".

I would sooner go to a tribal witch doctor.

Chiropractors are kind of like psychics: They might make you feel better for awhile, but they don't fix the underlying problems which made you feel bad in the first place.

Notice that most people who swear by chiropractors have to keep going back for "readjustments".

I would sooner go to a tribal witch doctor.

That's not true. Their treatments do work. The thing is, you have to keep going back, otherwise your muscles will force the bones back to their previous position. The reason why you have to keep going, is so your muscles will adjust to the new bone possitions, thus keeping them there. Once this happens, you no longer have to go. What the chiropractor does each time, is move your bones back to where they should be, due to your muscles trying to shift them to the old possitions. Over a long perriod of time, the bones need to be shifted less and less, until finally, they stay in the proper position.

I'm all for chiropractors, they've helped me when I had a back injury. After going to them a couple of times my back began to feel better and better with each visit. I haven't been to a chiropractor in a couple of years now and my back still feels fine. I highly recommend going to visit one, they do know what they are doing. But i would suggest you do some research on the local chiropractors in your area to see which ones you think would be the one to work on you.

What I don't get is how come when we're little we're told not to crack our knuckles but when we've grown up, cracking every bone in our bodies is encouraged??? :laugh:

What I don't get is how come when we're little we're told not to crack our knuckles but when we've grown up, cracking every bone in our bodies is  encouraged??? :laugh:

Well, constant cracking wears down your cartillage. They tell kids this, becuase, as you know, once kids find something "kewl", they do it till they get borred of it. :laugh: It's actually A OK to crack your joints, to release pressure, though.

I voted for the physical therapist.

Although I've gotten some helpful advice from a chiro aquaintance, and one of my co-workers has been helped by regular visits to hers, I'd be reluctant to be "manipulated".

I voted for the physical therapist.

Although I've gotten some helpful advice from a chiro aquaintance, and one of my co-workers has been helped by regular visits to hers, I'd be reluctant to be "manipulated".

I would suggest going for something simple, say, have him work with your leg or arm or something, maybe your shoulder. Just get something simple worked on for the experrience, then if you still don't like it, you can say, "I tried it, but I didn't like it." :laugh: It's not like you're trying drugs or something stupid. :laugh: