Sign in to follow this  
starsinmyeyes

Aaarrrgggghhhh! Total Frustration.

Came home tonight eager to watch Enterprise. Have waited up only to find that it has been shunted off again to broadcast another SMS based show of the most shallow concept. Gauging Australia's Gay Rating. How inane! :blink:

After suffering weeks of Australian Idol and before that Big Brother now I have to suffer this!

I feel SMS programs are just an excuse to make huge amounts of money from the people who vote in these shows.

I wish producers and tv companies would get their priorities realigned and give our country its own voice and put the money towards developing drama, comedy and movies of quality and DEPTH! These type of projects will add to our cultural quality and reflect our identity and visions for the future and of our past.

What is the tv programming like in your part of the world? Are you being inundated with SMS shows or rip offs of American 'lifestyle' shows. Are you aching to see more 'native' content on your screens?

Now that I have stepped down from the soap box, it's your turn. You can express your views for or against my gripe or add your own gripe. :wow:

These are, what I consider to be quallity, shows I can watch on my local FOX, NBC, UPN, or WB.

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE

STARGATE SG-1

SMALLVILLE

EVERWOOD

JAKE 2.0

ER

MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE

DHARMA & GREG

THE JEFFERSONS

Itallics are the ones I watch.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

HereIn America...I'd Say Most Current TV Is Crap....Well..Speaking Of The Reality TV Mostly

I'm Sure The "REAL" Shows Are Good...I Just Don't Watch That Much Of Them Really.

I gotta agree with Sam, most US network TV programs aren't worth watching. They're a few exceptions however, but those are few and far between.

We have over 200 channels available via satellite, and the TV is usually on one of those channels. We watch the History Channel, the National Geographic channel, the Travel channel, the Discovery channel, TechTV, as well as the premium channels like HBO and Showtime. There are some network programs that we watch, but those can be totaled on one hand. Otherwise, it is truly the land of the lost.

welll if it makes a difference, pretty much all the shows with a considerable online fan base, have the episodes posted online..myself, i download Enterprise episodes on tuesday and decide whether to watch it again on the live broadcast on wednesday...dont fret, like i said, any show worth watching is online @ www.suprnova.org

welll if it makes a difference, pretty much all the shows with a considerable online fan base, have the episodes posted online..myself, i download Enterprise episodes on tuesday and decide whether  to watch it again on the live broadcast on wednesday...dont fret, like i said, any show worth watching is online @ www.suprnova.org

Downloading TV shows is very illegal. If you download after watching the broadcast, in the place of a VCR, I see no problem with this, as long as it's for personal use. However, if season sets are out, I would recommend not downloading. Piracy is a very big issue these days. I don't download squat if I can go out and buy the CD/DVD. The only shows I download are those that are current and not on DVD, as I said before, in the place of using a VCR.

Anywho, my advice is to watch on TV with commercials, then download. Otherwise, you're condolling piracy, which is theft.

If you want to watch them before Channel 9, or Central TV gets their act together, go for it.

Dont expect Enterprise to get any special attention, when i sent a letter to channel 9, i was told that i did not understand demographics and because Enterprise is not a high rating show, with a large fan base, it is considered a "favour" to us the "minority"....thus the 11pm - midnight slots, and the shove off for reality shows and SMS shows

Hi there :clap:

It looks like there are a few Aussies here. I am also fed up with the amount of crap on tv at the moment. Big Brother and Australian Idol are both an absolute insult to anyone's intelligence and I didn't even bother watching them. What a waste, putting on rubish like that. I would rather have teeth pulled than have to endure that garbage.

As for Enterprise, I don't like that either but if I had to choose, I would gladly watch that instead of the other two shows you mentioned. At least its still Star Trek and I must admit, the opening sequence is great (especially the music).

I'm not really interested in many Australian drama series. Blue Heelers, All Saints, Neighbours and Home & Away are all basically about the same thing - who is sleeping with who, and who got caught sleeping with someone else's wife/husband etc. Most Australian movies are quite good (Muriel's Wedding, Priscilla: Queen of the Desert and Rabbit Proof Fence are good examples) and particular mini series, such as Marking Time on the ABC a few weeks ago. Changi is another great example of good quality Aussie drama. This is why my housemate and I watch so many DVDs and videos instead of stuff on the free to air channels. I think its a waste of money to get FOXTEL when these days, most series (or the ones that we like) we can get on DVD or video anyway.

What is the deal with so many ads on tv these days?? I'm constantly channel surfing to get away from the ads, only to find that every other commercial channel is playing their ads at the same time. I don't usually watch many programs on tv but when I do, the ads are very frustrating. They interrupt the program too much, just when you are getting into the show, the ads come on. Imagine if ads came on at the cinema, during a movie..................you get the picture.

I think Big Brother and Australia Idol make Aussies look like complete idiots. I wouldn't want the rest of the world thinking that Australians behave like everyone on Big Brother (or Neighbours and Home & Away for that matter). I can't imagine how anyone can watch that crap, its all the same stuff repeated, its just turned inside out, back to front and upside down to make it look a bit different. What is the point of focusing on everyone jumping into bed with each other?? Give me Star Trek, X-Files, ER, Northern Exposure, Red Dwarf, Father Ted and The Sopranos anyday (I have most of those on DVD and video).

Okay, I have had my gripe so now I'm happy,

Linda

Thanks for the tips. I'm not going to get into the argument about the legality of downloading shows ....except to say, I choose not to download.

Trekzone...the reply you received from the tv station is part of the frustration I experience with the scheduling of Enterprise. The station's attitude is nothing more than what I would expect them to say. GRRRR!

Linda...You were posting while I was posting...Just read your post now...You and I have the same thoughts/likes and dislikes...give me quality shows like Changi, My Hero, Father Ted, Red Dwarf, Silent Witness, Born and Bred, ABC Dramas, Catalyst and more quality Australian content. There are so many British dramas and comedies of such a high quality. Surely we can produce more of our own content of the same calibre?

You're right, there are great Australian movies (need more support at the moment) but our record in TV is quite poor. Need a refocus on what is more important- our identity-originality or raking in the money and high ratings/large fan base.

I would love to see an Australian produced and written quality sci-fi. I don't think we have really explored this area.

So I'm sitting here crossing my fingers hoping that Enterprise will be on next week and that governments and tv executives wake up to themselves soon.

And oh yeah! Another gripe...At the moment I am swamped writing official educational documents full of government priorities....Smart State, Future Pathways, Literate Futures,.......... all about developing learners who are critical thinkers and problem solvers...and what do my students view ...rubbish like Big Brother, soaps and Australian Idol. Only good thing is that I can use these shows (some) in class for critical literacy.

Hope everyone is having a good week. :clap:

Edited by starsinmyeyes

hmm.....yeah - 3 aussies! um, well i liked Australian Idol and was quite proud when Guy won. These are not the issue....the issue is that channel 9 and central TV thinks that Star Trek is not important, very sad

welll if it makes a difference, pretty much all the shows with a considerable online fan base, have the episodes posted online..myself, i download Enterprise episodes on tuesday and decide whether  to watch it again on the live broadcast on wednesday...dont fret, like i said, any show worth watching is online @ www.suprnova.org

Downloading TV shows is very illegal. If you download after watching the broadcast, in the place of a VCR, I see no problem with this, as long as it's for personal use. However, if season sets are out, I would recommend not downloading. Piracy is a very big issue these days. I don't download squat if I can go out and buy the CD/DVD. The only shows I download are those that are current and not on DVD, as I said before, in the place of using a VCR.

Anywho, my advice is to watch on TV with commercials, then download. Otherwise, you're condolling piracy, which is theft.

Yeah, but dled shows tend to suck pretty hard for quality. I doubt anyone who'd consider buying a DVD set would ever be satisfied with dled eps. Your right about it being illegal, but I don't do it just for the quality issue. I happened to see a few dled eps and was so frustrated by it I gave up. I'd rather wait to see it on TV.

Where I live they have taken all star trek off the air except for enterprise on wednesday nights. (The one night I am not home) So I rent star trek from the library, watch old recordings, and swap recordings with friends.

I don't have cable so no TOS or TNG, except for my TNG Season 1 set. DS9 went off the air the fall after the series ended, and VOY re-runs contract ended with local UPN while I was in the hospital, having my appendix out. I missed the las 2 weeks worth of re-runs, man I was so ticked! :clap: At least I can watch ENT & SG-1, so not a total loss. :clap:

Yeah, but dled shows tend to suck pretty hard for quality. I doubt anyone who'd consider buying a DVD set would ever be satisfied with dled eps. Your right about it being illegal, but I don't do it just for the quality issue. I happened to see a few dled eps and was so frustrated by it I gave up. I'd rather wait to see it on TV.

regarding the legality of downloading, if i were to record a song off the radio and then put it on my webpage, would that still be considered piracy considering the source.. now if i were to get it off a cd that was paid for and distributed it..that is another case altogether...

the fact that is, tv epsiodes are distributed via radio carrier waves and therfore i think that copying them on my vcr or harddrive and then pasing off to my friends is not a crime...

and yes picture quality does suck, but it beats waiting for the rerun to come back on...and oh yes..i love the fact that i can get enterprise episodes on tuesday afternoon, before syndication on tv

regarding the legality of downloading, if i were to record a song off the radio and then put it on my webpage, would that still be considered piracy considering the source.. now if i were to get it off a cd that was paid for and distributed it..that is another case altogether...

the fact that is, tv epsiodes are distributed via radio carrier waves and therfore i think that copying them on my vcr or harddrive and then pasing off to my friends is not a crime...

and yes picture quality does suck, but it beats waiting for the rerun to come back on...and oh yes..i love the fact that i can get enterprise episodes on tuesday afternoon, before syndication on tv

Recording a song off the radio and/or copying a CD is fine. Uploading music onto the internet, where you aren't the artist/copyright owner, is illegal as it is a form of unathorised distribution.

Recording TV is "technically" illegal, but the TV industry doesn't care, so it doesn't matter unless you copy and sell your tapes or something. Since recording TV is fine, I assume that downloading an episode after it airs, which is just another way to obtain a copy of the episode you just watched, is fine. However, it's when you distribute or download shows you can't watch, thus not watching the commercials, is when it becomes illegal with consequences.