Sign in to follow this  
ensign_beedrill

Help

I was recently asked by someone to create a data base for them. While I do a lot of computer work, I've never actually done this. I told them I'd try. I opened up Microsoft Access (which I had never used before) and messed around with it. I checked out a few reference books from the library (which really were no help).

Anyway, I came up with a pretty spiffy looking thing. I created a form with all of the data in text boxes and check boxes and radio buttons for easy entry and all of that and I gave it to this person.

It's been a few weeks now, and this person said that it's been working really well. But she ran into a sort of problem. It's with the check boxes. She wants to run a report that lists all of the people in the data base who have the check box for "PT" checked. there are close to 300 people in this data base, and only four of them actually have "PT" checked. However, when the report is run, it lists everyone. And it groups them by people who don't have "PT" and people who do. So it lists all 300 people, and the people who have "PT" are at the very end. We want it so that it only lists the four people.

Also, the value that shows up when the box is checked is "-1." I found this quite odd and I've been looking around, but I can't figure out what this means.

If anyone knows anything about this and can help me, I would appreciate any help you can give. Or, if you know of a good reference book, (Again, the ones I found didn't help. They had bad indexes and examples.) then you can list the title and the author or something else that would help me find it.

My Access skills are a little rusty but when you say you run a report - do you mean a query?

My only thought is that it sounds like your running your report off the database and not off of a query. If you're not using a query that's probably why you're getting the entire database.

If you are running a query you have to set the value of the field you're searching for, whatever you named the PT field, to equal the value (-1) for the checked option.

I know true/false checked/unchecked etc are given numeric values for query purposes but that's about it.

I'm afraid I don't know any reference materials - sorry :blink:

My only thought is that it sounds like your running your report off the database and not off of a query.  If you're not using a query that's probably why you're getting the entire database.

Oh, yes, I created a query first. Then I did the report from that. I went into the query modifier and there was a condition field. I found out that you can enter a condition into it (such as only entries that are greater than a thousand). But when I tried to tell it to only take entries that were only equal to -1, the report came up blank. *shrugs*

Thanks anyway. ^-^

Ensign, I'd love to help, but I have no clue how to use that program. In fact, I was trying to create a database last night. I have a website with trivia and I wanted people to submit their questions and be able to go to the score page and see how the faired against everyone else. I got so frustrated with access that I just made my form send the results to me. I'll just enter the information into the scores page myself. Good luck with access!