Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Another US Currancy change

The US Mint unveiled the newly designed nickel (For mambers outside of the US the Nickel is worth 5 cents, to make $1 you would need 20 nickels).

The obverse is remaining the same with Thomas Jefferson but the reverse will have 2 designs to commemorate 2 events. The Louisiana Purchase and the Lewis and Clark expadition:

2004_NickelBanner03a.jpg

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/index....n=nickel_series

Great!I tried to spend a new $20 at the mini-mart last week and the owner's brother didn't want to accept it,until the Dorito's guy showed up with his fresh supply of chips and told him that yes that was real money :)

You would think someone that works at a store would be informed about these things.

ah, yeah i was a checkout operator (ok, checkout chick) a while back, and we had a new $5 note come out...i didnt accept it for a week, until i got informed by the management!

the new nickel looks pretty cool. but i think all this change in the paper currency is such a HURENDOUS WASTE OF MONEY. they spend sooooo much to try and make it counterfeit proof, then about a week after they come out, someone figured out how to do it. save the millions, and give it up.

Those are kinda cool and since there's only two they should be easy to find.

90536[/snapback]

Well I found them! I'm going to save two rolls of each design to give the kids in their inheritance. :dude:

I like the new changes. As long its too big of a change.

I have a couple of the newest additions.. I tend to collect coins on occasion.

WestJourn_2005.jpg

I have the first one in the image. I do not have the one with the quote "Ocean in View, O The Joy!"

Edited by Yillara_Soong

The last one with ocean view and the words "Ocean in View, O the Joy!" will not be released until Summer/Fall of 2005. This would seem to be timed to the timeline of the Lewis and Clark expedition, which reached the Pacific Ocean in the fall. There is a reenactment taking place for the bicentennial tracing the route of the expedition. I am really interested in the Lewis and Clark expedition and saw some of the sites last Fall in St. Louis, and St. Charles, Missouri and around Hartford, Illinois. I have also seen sites in North Dakota and Montana. IMO it's a very unique expedition that deserves to be recognized with this coinage honor.

I know this is really far behind the posts, but the reason why they change the paper bills so often compared to the coins is that the average lifespan of a paper bill is only several months, compared to years and years for coins. Also, with the current trend of scanners and copiers being so good, the old bills were getting copied too easily. If you think the money is fake, feel it. Money is printed on cloth, not paper. Also, check the serial numbers, if they are the same, or too long or short, don't accept it. When in doubt, you could always hit it with an indelible marker, also called a counterfeit pen. They can be found at a local office supply store for cheap.l

I have a couple of the newest additions.. I tend to collect coins on occasion.

WestJourn_2005.jpg

I have the first one in the image. I do not have the one with the quote "Ocean in View, O  The Joy!"

320585[/snapback]

OH NO, MORE OF THEM?! *sigh* O'well.

I know this is really far behind the posts, but the reason why they change the paper bills so often compared to the coins is that the average lifespan of a paper bill is only several months, compared to years and years for coins.  Also, with the current trend of scanners and copiers being so good, the old bills were getting copied too easily. If you think the money is fake, feel it.  Money is printed on cloth, not paper.  Also, check the serial numbers, if they are the same, or too long or short, don't accept it.  When in doubt, you could always hit it with an indelible marker, also called a counterfeit pen.  They can be found at a local office supply store for cheap.l

320622[/snapback]

Yeah, we used those pens at work.. I do not doubt that when I start my new job on May 2nd that we may use those pens again.

We ended up having to get new pens a few times before going to other means to check for whether or not the bill was real.. :dude::dude: On the grounds that they kept being used as regular pens by everyone , managers included.

IMO it's a very unique expedition that deserves to be recognized with this coinage honor.
I agree completely, and I am looking forward to seeing the new coin when it is released. I hope to get two of them, like I did with teh one with the buffalo on it

The bison is back on the 5 cents! :dude: One of Buffalo, New York's nicknames is Nickel City!

The new one.2005NickelBisonLine.jpg

The old one (1913 and 1938).FraserRev.jpg

If I ever find one I would be the happiest person alive! :dude: