Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Arcs

I've read comments in the past that have said that DS9 is less compatible with the making a movie then other Treks because DS9 was "Arc driven". I disagree with this assessment on both points, one that it is less compatible with making a movie and that it was more "arc driven" then other Treks.

In looking at the list of episodes for DS9 there were Arc stories but not as many as a lot of people seem to think. There were a lot of single story episodes even during the Dominion war that had nothing to do with the Dominion arc at all.

On the other hand I was thinking about the different series and I actually think Voyager was more Arc dependant then DS9. Voyager had individual stories that built their Arc and their arc was a full 7 season arc. The Voyager Arc was traveling back to the Alpha Quadrant and their adventures along that arc. So really almost every episode of Voyager that was made had to fit within that Arc. There were stories that didn't involve that Arc but even in those stories the Arc was there because Voyager was still in the Delta Quadrant. Take away that main arc and Voyager becomes just another Starfleet ship exploring space.

So the question I have is this, which series do you believe was more dependant on an Arc? DS9 or Voyager?

I say DS9 was more arc driven. VOY trying to get home wasn't an arc, it was the premise of the series. Within that, you had mini-arcs like the Borg, Seven re-discoverring her humanity, the Kazon and Seska, and so forth. However, I don't these arcs were enough to make the show serialised as you could watch any episode of the series and enjoy it as a self-contained story.

Stardate:213868.8

Yeah I agree with CJLP.The delta quadrent was the premise of the series not a big arc.So DS9 IMO was more arc driven although i dont see why just because that is that it cant have a movie

I don't really draw a distinction between "Arc" and "Premise" in this situation though. I see Voyager as a 7 year Arc since it had a beginning and an ending. Everything in between was simply building on that main theme of the series. Once that was done there was no place else for the Voyager story to go.

im with VBG on this one voy was a seven year arc, in that its whole point was to get home, after that you didnt have voyager. so in that i dont think voy has as much merit for a movie as DS9, but then again DS9 is my fave, right along with ENT.

We don't know what happens to Voyager nor the crew, so how is that the end of the story? "Going home" wasn't a story arc, it was the premise of the show. The show was episodic. Story arcs mean that all the episodes tie together, this didn't happen on VOY, which is why it's been described as episodic. DS9 had loads of mini-arcs, and then the big Dominion War arc in the 6th and 7th seasons.

Like I said before, I think both shows deserve a movie. I'd welcome a DS9 movie as much as I'd welcome a VOY movie. In the end, it all boils down to tallented writers, a good imagination, and what Berman wants Trek 11 to be about.