Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Linux thinking of checking it out

Stardate:213860.9

Well I have heard alot of good things about Linux and am thinking about using VM and checking it out.

Problem is I dont know a whole lot about it.

Those of you who have experience with Linux whats it like?Should I try it?Is it better / worse than windows?? ECT...??

I use Linux almost exclusively. It's quite powerful and versatile. It does, however,

have a stigma of begin non-intuitive, but this isn't too much of a problem anymore given the number of "X" environments out there. I would recommend checking out the following web sites:

Linux.org = A nice informative site with links

GNU web site = Although "GNU's Not Linux", there is a lot of information on Linux here.

Sourceforge = A source of a huge amount of

FREE Linux software (Nearly all Linux software is free.)

and, one of my favotite Linux distributions:

The Knoppix Web site.

I would recommend NOT using VM, as I've tried this before, and it was a pain in the

neck. (I might add that the purpose was for compiler-intensive scientific computing

using several languages and compilers, so maybe everyday applications would work fine.)

Good Luck!

I use Linux almost exclusively. It's quite powerful and versatile. It does, however,

have a stigma of begin non-intuitive, but this isn't too much of a problem anymore given the number of "X" environments out there. I would recommend checking out the following web sites:

GNU web site = Although "GNU's Not Linux", there is a lot of information on Linux here.

The Knoppix Web site.

I would recommend NOT using VM, as I've tried this before, and it was a pain in the

neck. (I might add that the purpose was for compiler-intensive scientific computing

using several languages and compilers, so maybe everyday applications would work fine.)

Good Luck!

The Knoppix Web site.

Good Luck!

By the way, that last post - which looks like it got posted three times - was done

using a Windows system......