Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Monsters

I was wondering what people's views were on the introduction of a "alien/monster of the week" format for Enterprise. This format was often used in TOS and in the first few years of TNG, and while I do not think it should be done every week I would like to see more of that sort of thing on the show.

If this were to be adopted then I think we would have to have a little bit more variation in the design of alien make-up, by this I mean that there should be less ridge headed aliens and more people in costumes or different coloured people.

I would also like to see the death count rise because these people are meant to be discovering strange new worlds which I would have though included more danger than currently being experienced!

I too would like to see more monster species on ENT, especially if the monsters are somehow symbolic to the dark sides of humanity.

Hypothetically, what if TOS had so many creature features as a result of the area of space being explored, (?) you know primitive, what if on ENT they were to encounter another pocket of space which was similarly inhabited. This could lead to a rash of crewpersons deaths and up the danger factor.

Is that like what you had in mind with this post, I hope so cause I have been trying to think of a way to ask this myself. :wow:

I too would like to see more monster species on ENT, especially if the monsters are somehow symbolic to the dark sides of humanity.

Hypothetically, what if TOS had so many creature features as a result of the area of space being explored, (?) you know primitive, what if on ENT they were to encounter another pocket of space which was similarly inhabited. This could lead to a rash of crewpersons deaths and up the danger factor. 

Is that like what you had in mind with this post, I hope so cause I have been trying to think of a way to ask this myself. :wow:

Perhaps, but then the Gorn (lizard creature) was meant to have a high tech ship. I just think we need more things like that. Perhaps the M 113 creature could make an appearance?

I think the basis of my argument is that I would like Enterprise to be more like TOS, and by that I do not mean in terms of Red sets and bright uniforms (as I think the sets on Enterprise are cool, not so keen on the uniforms) but in terms of script, plot lines, creature features, stand alone episodes (as too many two-parters can really murder a show sometimes), the odd murder and perhaps the female crew members could wear mini skirts, perhaps. :devil:

Okay, maybe it's time to get a little philosophical here. I was never really a fan of a monster of the week and even the term monster is a relative one at that. In all the series, there have been encounters with aliens that could be described as monsters. But is that because of their physical appearance or perhaps their demeanor? Example of monsters are aliens like the Horta and salt creature from TOS. In both those episodes humans were being killed not randomly but with a purpose. In those cases, survival or self preservation. We called them monsters because they looked like one. As we found out in the Horta episode, appearances were deceiving. Is an alien a monster because they scare us because of the way they look? Or are they a monster because they were just as scared of us because of the way we looked? In a TNG episode that I can't remember the title of just now, a lifeform that inhabited a sub-strata water table called humans "ugly bags of water" and "monsters" because a federation science team was going to drain the water level that would then effective kill the lifeform. They struck back and if it wasn't for Data establishing communication with them, the Federation would have been guilty of a "monsterous" act of extermination. In the same vein, Romulans, Cardasians Narsiccans and Klingons could be described as monsters because of the way they interact with other species. I would think that in most cases of contact with an alien species, either technologically advanced or pre-warp, either side could consider the other a monster depending on what scares them and how much self-preservation instiinct it calls upon. So having a designated monster of the week just doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure there are going to be plenty of contacts with species that, for our lack of a proper designation for them, will be considered monsters.

Xenexian, myself, and I think I can safely say TM did not mean MONSTERS in the traditional sense. That is why in my post I italicized the word monster. I’m sure what we all meant on this thread so far was our agreeing it would be cool to see more species as portrayed in TOS, on ENT.

Point taken, Alterego. But if the writers were to go that route, I'm afraid that the series would become just another network sci-fi series. I just don't believe that we need an age of tv monsters anymore. But that's just my opinion.

Hi there Xenexian

Alterego has hit the nail on the head on my intended meaning of the word monster. The term "monster of the week" simply means the introduction of more exotic aliens that look a little less like humans with ridges on their head or nose, as I'm sure that it would all be a bit more exciting if aliens in the mold of the M113 creature and the gorn were introduced. I noticed that you mentioned the Horta, which shows that the use of these sort of designs of aliens can really have an impact on the quality of the episode, and this is highlighted in Devil in the Dark as I do not think it would be as effective if the Horta were just a man. :wow:

I'd like to hear some more views on this topic so I'm bumping it.

In all the series, there have been encounters with aliens that could be described as monsters. But is that because of their physical appearance or perhaps their demeanor? Example of monsters are aliens like the Horta and salt creature from TOS. In both those episodes humans were being killed not randomly but with a purpose. In those cases, survival or self preservation. We called them monsters because they looked like one. As we found out in the Horta episode, appearances were deceiving. Is an alien a monster because they scare us because of the way they look? Or are they a monster because they were just as scared of us because of the way we looked? In a TNG episode that I can't remember the title of just now, a lifeform that inhabited a sub-strata water table called humans "ugly bags of water" and "monsters" because a federation science team was going to drain the water level that would then effective kill the lifeform. They struck back and if it wasn't for Data establishing communication with them, the Federation would have been guilty of a "monsterous" act of extermination

Home Soil TNG season 1 episode #18

Very similar to the episode's Devil in the Dark & Home Soil is ENT's Vox Sola, proof tptb can still tell a good monster story that makes you think about re-defining the term "monster".

Hi there Xenexian

Alterego has hit the nail on the head on my intended meaning of the word monster. The term "monster of the week" simply means the introduction of more exotic aliens that look a little less like humans with ridges on their head or nose, as I'm sure that it would all be a bit more exciting if aliens in the mold of the M113 creature and the gorn were introduced. I noticed that you mentioned the Horta, which shows that the use of these sort of designs of aliens can really have an impact on the quality of the episode, and this is highlighted in Devil in the Dark as I do not think it would be as effective if the Horta were just a man.  :huh:

I think that we are already seeing a good variety of non human like species. Take the Xindi for example, out of the 5 species we have seen only one looks similar to humans. If the reptilian species isn't monster like I don't know what is. They look pretty freaky to me and so do the insectoid species. Then there is the sloth and the aquatic, they are all really interesting and look noting like us. Lastly, recently we've seen Tarquin from 'Exile' he was pretty nasty looking. So to sum up we have seen 5 nasty looking aliens in the last 8 episodes. I say that's pretty darn good! :wow: