Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

Web Page Forms

I'm working on my Star Trek site right now. I have a trivia section which will need to use radio button forms for submitting the answers from a visitor.

If I set my form up to store the data into a database Frontpage says that some components of the page cannot work in the current format and that I have to change the format from htm. to asp. The webpage appears as html when viewed by a browser in this format. So why does it want it to be in asp. format?

Secondly, if I set up my form to send the data to me by e mail EXACTLY as Frontpage help or help sites instruct me to, nothing happens. When I click on submit it gives me this message:

FrontPage Run-Time Component Page

You have submitted a form or followed a link to a page that requires a web server and the FrontPage Server Extensions to function properly.

This form or other FrontPage component will work correctly if you publish this web to a web server that has the FrontPage Server Extensions installed.

Funny thing is that I'm quite sure that the server does have the extensions and even funnier is the fact that I get this message even if I just "preview in my browser" locally. Even help says to do this, but it does work.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd be SOOO greatfull for ANY help whatsoever

I'm working on my Star Trek site right now.  I have a trivia section which will need to use radio button forms for submitting the answers from a visitor. 

If I set my form up to store the data into a database Frontpage says that some components of the page cannot work in the current format and that I have to change the format from htm. to asp.  The webpage appears as html when viewed by a browser in this format.  So why does it want it to be in asp. format?

Asp means Active Server Page format and for the front-page extensions to work (use the database on the server) it needs to be able to run code on the server and html has no server-side code necessary. ASP does. Other server-side codes are like Java Server Pages (JSP) and Hypertext Preprocessor (PHP) - the one this site is made out of and my favorite.

Secondly, if I set up my form to send the data to me by e mail EXACTLY as Frontpage help or help sites instruct me to, nothing happens.  When I click on submit it gives me this message:

FrontPage Run-Time Component Page

You have submitted a form or followed a link to a page that requires a web server and the FrontPage Server Extensions to function properly.

This form or other FrontPage component will work correctly if you publish this web to a web server that has the FrontPage Server Extensions installed.

Funny thing is that I'm quite sure that the server does have the extensions and even funnier is the fact that I get this message even if I just "preview in my browser" locally. Even help says to do this, but it does work.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd be SOOO greatfull for ANY help whatsoever [/glow]

The reason this does not work on your browser on your computer locally is that your home computer is not a server and does not have server-side front page extensions.

The reason is does not work on the server is likely that the front-page extensions are not turned on. Most web servers leave them off unless you manually turn them on (contact you web hosting service to do this - probably in your web page control panel - some hosting services charge extra for frontpage extensions)

Hopefully this will be of at least some help. I do some web page design but I mostly make my own code and don't bother with frontpage extensions.

Commander Bolivar, as your host....i can solve your problem.......

i need to activate the Frontpage extensions........if you would like me to do so, let me know