Sign in to follow this  
captainfreeman

African-American finally Recognized

Outstanding.

Its very fitting that the late Major Robert Lawrence will now be included in the list of names to be inscribed upon the Space Mirror Memorial.He deserves his place right alongside all of the other brave souls who have perished in the pursuit of knowledge,that most noble of all human endeavors.

That is a very interesting story, I wonder if the program had been continued if the personell would have had the name "Astronaut" or if the Air Force would have come up with a different term. It also makes me wonder if there isn't the possibility that this kind of program might have been completed and people in orbit all along. I doubt it, but it makes you wonder if we have a secret orbiting military base.

That is a very interesting story, I wonder if the program had been continued if the personell would have had the name "Astronaut" or if the Air Force would have come up with a different term. It also makes me wonder if there isn't the possibility that this kind of program might have been completed and people in orbit all along. I doubt it, but it makes you wonder if we have a secret orbiting military base.

Hey,maybe this is where Section 31 got its start? :drool:

Hey,maybe this is where Section 31 got its start? :drool:

:eek: That's one possibility,eh?

Thanks for sharing the story,Captain Freeman.

Major Lawrence was clearly involved in a space program conducted by the United States AirForce,but was he an "astronaught"?I think that was the whole debate between the folks behind the memorial and Major Lawrence's family and the NAACP.I'm happy that the man is being recognized for his contributions,but I do believe the NAACP,as is typical,blew the incident out of proportion,and made some unfounded accusations.

Thanks for the post, it was interesting. I'd never heard of this program and it actually kind of surprises me it was cancelled.

I do think it unfortunate that the designation had to come at the threat of a lawsuit - because that always hangs over the award.

Personally, I don't see why an Air Force officer in a civilian space program would be an astronaut and an Air Force officer in a military space program would not.