Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

NX-01 Enterprise

Yeah I really like the design of Enterprise. I love how the deflector dish is similar to Kirks Enterprise. Still can't figure out why they would want to put the bridge in such a vulnerable spot however. Edited by Commander Bolivar

Yeah I really like the design of Enterprise.  I love how the deflector dish is similar to Kirks Enterprise.  Still can't figure out why they would want to put the bridge in such a vulnerable spot however.

I've been thinking about that for years. Apparently they never got rid of that design fluke. At least the Nx-01(Enterprise E too) does not have a neck to be shot at.

As far as I know, the Enterprise D is the only ship to have a bridge that doesn't sit in an exposed place. I'm NOT referring to the battle bridge or the main bridge. The battle bridge can be exposed when the saucer section is removed. There is actually a secondary bridge. I believe it is on deck 4 almost underneath the main bridge. It was never mentioned during the show, but it is part of the technical schematics of the ship.

As far as I know, the Enterprise D is the only ship to have a bridge that doesn't sit in an exposed place.  I'm NOT referring to the battle bridge or the main bridge.  The battle bridge can be exposed when the saucer section is removed.  There is actually a secondary bridge.  I believe it is on deck 4 almost underneath the main bridge.  It was never mentioned during the show, but it is part of the technical schematics of the ship.

I have the paper blueprints, showing a detailed look at each deck of the Enterprise-D. Would you mind point out where on Deck 4, the 2nd Bridge is, so I can find it?

I've always thought it was madness putting the bridge right up there on top of the saucer,so every trigger-happy Klingon and Romulan in the quadrant can pop off a few shots at it.But after a while,you just ignore it.

The bridge should be deep in the bowels of the ship,like main engineering.

I actually like having the Bridge at the top of the ship. By the time of Kirk, they had special defense shields specifically for the Bridge gone. Also, Voyager's bridge was capable of ejecting itself and using it's own thruster system to get to safety. A shame they never used this idea.

Also, Voyager's bridge was capable of ejecting itself and using it's own thruster system to get to safety.  A shame they never used this idea.[/color]

I would have loved to have seen that!

Also, Voyager's bridge was capable of ejecting itself and using it's own thruster system to get to safety.  A shame they never used this idea.

I would have loved to have seen that!

Perhaps someday we will, we eventually saw a saucer separation so who knows what the future holds...

Still can't figure out why they would want to put the bridge in such a vulnerable spot however.

Maybe it's for the nice view. :drool:

Wow, some nice pics there. And yeah, I think subcommanderbeavis is right about the location: The bridge should be buried. They see everything on a viewscreen anyway, so it doesn't make much sense to have it exposed like that. I mean, they've got all these safety features, but wouldn't it make more sense to have it in a fairly central location to allow people to move quickly to other parts of the ship in case of emergency, or just as a matter of convenience?

Ah...schematics always remind me of how in the heck do the warp engines stay attached to the ship when it jumps to warp instead of being ripped right off.

Must be a pretty strong binding to the main body of the ship. ST physics guys...got an answer?

trivialities CJLP......but it is a good comment.....i guess it would be the inertial dampners.

But the "stress" of the "sudden increase" of "speed" would be killa!