Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Upgrading to Windows XP.

Stardate:213841.9

I am upgrading my computer to Windows XP from ME.I have backed up my files i want to keep and what not

Those of you that have done this before do you have any suggestions,warning,what to do's,what to avoid's,ect.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks

um....i can vaguely remember that XP doesnt support upgrading from ME.

so youd have to install a fresh copy and have a dual boot....otherwise youd have to format your hard drive and install XP fresh..

Another tip: if you have any software installed on the ME system that you will be transferring to the XP system, you have to pay close attention to the steps used while setting up XP. The reason is, XP gives you a choice of two file formats, FAT32 or NTFS. If you want your old software to be compatible with XP, you have to choose the FAT32 file format.

Another tip: if you have any software installed on the ME system that you will be transferring to the XP system, you have to pay close attention to the steps used while setting up XP.  The reason is, XP gives you a choice of two file formats, FAT32 or NTFS.  If you want your old software to be compatible with XP, you have to choose the FAT32 file format.

I always go with FAT32 simply because if I ever have to access the drive outside of Windows XP I can. If you go with NTFS then you can only access the drive on NT systems like Windows XP or Windows NT. I've never used ME so I don't know if it's NT based or not.

Another tip: if you have any software installed on the ME system that you will be transferring to the XP system, you have to pay close attention to the steps used while setting up XP.  The reason is, XP gives you a choice of two file formats, FAT32 or NTFS.  If you want your old software to be compatible with XP, you have to choose the FAT32 file format.

I always go with FAT32 simply because if I ever have to access the drive outside of Windows XP I can. If you go with NTFS then you can only access the drive on NT systems like Windows XP or Windows NT. I've never used ME so I don't know if it's NT based or not.

Stardate:2138347.2

No ME isnt NT based.Yeh i always stick with FAT32 as well.

Install went fine everything is up and running.Thanks for your advice everybody