Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Why 26 episodes instead of 22 per season?

Stardate:213838.9

As my friend DJ would say" Because the other series just aren't good"

Star Trek produces 26 episodes a season?Hmm.I never counted.That's interesting.Knowing this,and knowing that other shows only get 22,I think I'll have to agree with Geronimo.Its because Trek is better.

Most Star Trek seasons are 26 episodes but there have been a few with less. As for why? I have no answer, I didn't know other shows had less. It's probably a matter of the shows budget which is dictated by it's popularity and other factors like that.

Well, if a Trek season has less than 26, it's usually something to do with episode production and not a season-order.

I first noticed this when I saw that SG-1 gets 22 episodes like the average show, yet some get 26 like X-Files and Trek. Hmm...

Ah.

There are 52 weeks in a year. 52 divided by 2 is 26. So we get a new Trek episode every week for half a year. It makes sense. You see... the people who run Star Trek can actually do math, while the people who run other shows can't.

Just kidding.

Honestly, I don't know, either. But I do think it is so that we get half of a year. *shrugs* Makes sense to me.

Many shows get only 18 episodes. I believe this is the most common number. Friends in its final season is only getting 16. The reason why Trek might get 26 is because it has a pretty big budget. Shows in the past always had at LEAST 26. There used to be a new episdoe EVERY week, not just some of the weeks. But TV is more costly now, thus they make less episodes.

Well, if a Trek season has less than 26, it's usually something to do with episode production and not a season-order.

I first noticed this when I saw that SG-1 gets 22 episodes like the average show, yet some get 26 like X-Files and Trek.  Hmm...

Season 1 of TOS had 29, season 2 had 26 and season 3 had 24. Season 2 of TNG had 22 Episodes (due to the strike), Season 1 of DS9 had 20 (It started in January) Season 1 of Voyager had 16 episodes (it too started in January).

Enterprise is the first series to have the full 26 (so far) for it's whole run. I, like Commander Bolivar believe it has to do with budget which is tied to popularity to an extent.

Many shows get only 18 episodes.  I believe this is the most common number.  Friends in its final season is only getting 16.  The reason why Trek might get 26 is because it has a pretty big budget.  Shows in the past always had at LEAST 26.  There used to be a new episdoe EVERY week, not just some of the weeks.  But TV is more costly now, thus they make less episodes.

The only TV season I've seen with 18 episodes was Roswell Season 3, and that's becuase the episode order of 22 was cut 4 episodes short.