Sign in to follow this  
Yellow_Dragon

Family Day

A few years ago I made up a holiday called "Family Day".Its the day my family celebrates our being together,and our love for one another.I picked the date of February,3rd out of a hat.That's the day it falls on.We give each other little presents,have a Thanksgiving-type meal,and the kids get the day out of school,if it falls on a school day (which they love).We spend the whole day together,playing board games,watching movies,or go to the park or zoo or theater or seaquarium.Its a lot of fun.I'm sure when the kids are a bit older,they'll think its stupid and won't want to spend a whole day with one another or their folks,but for now,while there still little and adorable,it works.

Anybody else here have a homemade holiday they celebrate?

That sounds like a great idea. I've noticed children love traditions and when they're older they're going to remember these outings more than you may think.

Families in my church do something similar by celebrating "family night" - one night a week (Monday) families put other responsibilities aside and spend the evening together. Various activities include lessons, games, favorite meals, treats (always have to have treats) or outings - and occasionally family councils. But don't let anyone tell you the games are for the children.... :lol: (big people like to have fun too)