Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Burton Disturbed By Trek Comments

Burton-LaForge-022912.gif

Star Trek: The Next Generation‘s LeVar Burton is not happy with what he has heard lately from some working with J.J. Abrams.

The actor feels that the comments are disrespectful of Star Trek that came before Abrams’s two Trek movies.

Star Trek (2009) was a great movie, and he brought a whole new generation to Trek,” said Burton. “But I’m a little disquieted by things I hear coming out of his camp, things like he would like to be remembered as the only Trek – which would discount everything before he got there.

“There’s ‘breaking the canon,’ which he did (by re-inventing Star Trek‘s timeline). But there’s also honoring the canon. And to pretend to be the only one is really egocentric and immature.”

Burton highlighted achievements in real life that mirror Star Trek technology, and which may have been inspired by Star Trek. “I just came from a conference in San Francisco with Advanced Micro Devices, and they’re working on technology towards building a holodeck,” said Burton. “That was Next Generation. And that’s part of what Star Trek has brought to the culture. So when J.J. Abrams says, ‘there should be no Star Trek except the one I make,’ I call bullshit, J.J.”

View the full article