Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

The NX-O1 and the 1701

More missions? (150 years is a long time between missions)

A time of rebuilding after a great loss? (Was Soval right, we acted too quickly?)

All speculations or known facts are welcome.

I wouldn't place too much confidence in Starfleet's registry number system.Its a mess.Not even the Constitution-class starships have registry numbers that follow a logical progression.

Who knows how many starships of various types were used between Enterprise's-era and TOS?Not me.

Captain Picard, just because the Enterrpise 1701, had 1701 for a number, doesn't mean that it was the 1701st Starfleet ship.

For example, lets just say that the 861st ship had a few spin-offs:

the U.S.S. Somename - A

the U.S.S. Somename - B

the U.S.S. Somename - C

And

the U.S.S. Somename - D

That would mean for just one number there could be a total of 5 ships! You cannot measure how many ships were built in a time frame by a comparison of registy numbers.

Let's look at this.

TOS - U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701

ST-2 - U.S.S. Reliant NCC-1864

ST-3 - U.S.S. Excelsior NX-2000

TNG/DS9/VOY - 5 digit number

DS9 Season 3 premiere - U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205

6 months later - VOY Series premiere - U.S.S. Voyager NCC-74656

There are many more examples to suggest that the registry number is sequencial, but not including ships like Enterprise-A through Ent-E and other vessels.

I remember during tos the a few constitution class vessels had far lower registry numbers than the Enterprise. In one instance one ship's number was 1017? They did this because they were using a store bought model of the Enterprise and instead of making new decals they just decided to switch the existing ones around.

Yes, back in the days of TOS, such technicallities like registry numbers were not thought out. However, it was indeed established in the 2nd & 3rd movies that the registry number is sequential. Why else would the newest ship have the highest number?

Let me step in here. First Captain Picard is right partly. The numbers do go up. Its only the purpose that the Enterprise became a legend, so they kept that one number to be memorable. Number 2, you forgotten that there have been a ship named Defiant in Star Trek, there is a Defiant in Deep Space Nine differnt registery. The same as the Constellation was NCC-1017, it was a Consitution class. We also have another ship called Constellation it was a Consellation class. Also the Sarasota, both of the same calss, two differnt numbers. NCC-1937, was in service in 2286. The other in 2366, was NCC-31911. A ships name can be used again after a ship is destroyed or dicommissioned. So in reality the Enterprise-D would be actually 71***. You have to remember the galaxy class took awhile to build so the Galaxy was 70637, when it was being built.

The point being made is not that the numbers don't go up.The point is that the registry numbers are not sequential.You are just as likely to find an Oberth-class starship with a registry like NCC-52***,as you are to find a Nebula-class ship,or a Miranda-class ship.The numbers are all over the place.Go ahead,look in whatever books or files you want.

If an Orbeth-class ship has a registry of NCC-(5 digit number), then obviously it's a newly constructed ship in comparrison to ships of the Kirk-era.

The number on Oberth class would be a number of its own. The numbers seem to go up yes. In the Star Trek Universe they go by number. Except for certain ships it would the same number as it prevoius name sake, like the Enterprise.

If an Orbeth-class ship has a registry of NCC-(5 digit number), then obviously it's a newly constructed ship in comparrison to ships of the Kirk-era.

The number on Oberth class would be a number of its own. The numbers seem to go up yes. In the Star Trek Universe they go by number. Except for certain ships it would the same number as it prevoius name sake, like the Enterprise.

Why would the number of an Orbeth-class be it's own? What do you mean? A Starship's registry number, as of the first 3 movies, seems to be sequential. The newer the ship, the higher the number. The older the ship, the smaller the number. There are some exceptions like the Enterprise-A, B, C, D, and E.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Okay.Whatever.

I know what I know.The numbers are not sequential.They should be.But they are not.

:lol:

Can you prove they are not sequential?

You gave proof yourself - the Enterprise. There have been other ships named for a predecessor that have kept the registry number of their namesake as well. Re-using a registry number is proof that the ships are not sequentially numbered by their commission date.

Okay.Whatever.

I know what I know.The numbers are not sequential.They should be.But they are not.

:lol:

Can you prove they are not sequential?

You gave proof yourself - the Enterprise. There have been other ships named for a predecessor that have kept the registry number of their namesake as well. Re-using a registry number is proof that the ships are not sequentially numbered by their commission date.

As I said, the Enterprise is a rare expample. What other ships have you seen with a "letter" added on the end?

As far as I know, there are only two ships that carried the registry number of a predecessor.

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-B

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-C

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E

U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205

U.S.S. Sau Paulo (Defiant class) renamed U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205

To my knowledge, aside from the Enterprise and the Defiant, there have not been other Starfleet ships to have imediate successors carrying the same registry.

the only reason the Sau Paulo was renamed to the Defiant was because it went though number of peititions to starfleet. as for the Enterprise......my best guess is that wanted to keep the ledgend alive.

the only reason the Sau Paulo was renamed to the Defiant was because it went though number of peititions to starfleet. as for the Enterprise......my best guess is that wanted to keep the ledgend alive.

No, it was becuase Admiral Ross gave Sisko special permission to rename the ship Defiant. As for the Enterprise, Kirk saved the planet, so after Kirk's demotion to Captain, they gave him a gift in the form of the Enterprise-A. After Kirk saves Federation/Klingon relations, they decided to continue the tradition and keep building a new Enterprise when the current one is destroyed or decommissioned.

As for the basic idea of this thread. Keep in mind that star fleet can't keep pumping ships out. Archer's Enterprise might be kept in use for a longer time then ship in the 24th century, because Star Fleet just couldn't afford to build a whole generation of ships. I don't see any major calamity happening to Enterprise.