Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Trek Fans Break Costume World Record

GuinessRecord102212.gif

Star Trek fans showed up in costume at a Star Trek convention last weekend to help break the world’s record for largest-ever gathering of people in Star Trek-related costumes.

It was only two months ago in Las Vegas that fans gathered in costume and broke the last record, but it appears that the Destination Star Trek London fans have surpassed that number.

Destination Star Trek London has claimed that 1,083 fans dressed up at their event, which would beat the record set by the 1,040 Trek fans at a convention inVegas last August.

There were plenty of TNG costumes, but some fans made a special effort for the contest. Mark Whitfield came as a mugato from the original series’ A Private Little War. “It looks silly; it’s just a gorilla suit painted white with horns on it,” he said, obviously regretting his choice of costume. “It’s very, very hot. In fact, I was on the verge of collapse when a very kind person gave me a bottle of water because I dehydrated quite badly.”

Dawn Harris gave the male fans a treat, appearing as an Orion slave girl, complete with green skin. “There just hasn’t been a convention in the UK for so long,” she said. “So I think everyone wants to be involved in everything as much as they can. Everybody saw that guy jump out of a plane [Felix Baumgartner] in space so people are drawn to things like that.”

The record will first need to be confirmed by Guinness World Records before Destination Star Trek London can claim the record for most Star Trek fans in costume in one place.

View the full article