Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Braga’s Back!

STHiveComic101512.jpg

Fans of Brannon Braga (Star Trek: The Next Generation through Star Trek: Enterprise) are pleased that he is again involved with a Star Trek project.

This time, Braga has been working with Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett to pen IDW Publishing’s Hive comic book series.

“There was no arm twisting necessary [to get me to return to Trek],” said Braga. “I think IDW contacted me; I don’t actually remember. But I’d had this story in the back of my mind already because I’d always wanted to do the final chapter in the Borg saga, as I saw it, as it exists in the mythology that’s in my brain.”

Braga had no trouble getting back into the groove of writing for Star Trek characters. “It’d been a long time since I’d written Next Generation, but the characters came back quickly,” he said. “I remember, when I was conceiving the story, it just amazed me how fluidly it came back … and how much I missed it. The thing that was interesting is there are fewer words used in comic books. There’s less talking and more visuals. So it was important to me that the voices of the characters sounded like the characters and weren’t just interchangeable. That, to me, was part of the fun, because it’s the closest you’re going to get to seeing these characters alive again.”

Fans should not be surprised to find time travel in this story. “…there is time travel and the Borg, and they’re elements I’d toyed with in the Star Trek universe for a long time,” said Braga. “But this is a different story. I’d never done a story that took place five hundred years in the future, after the Borg have assimilated the galaxy. I don’t think we’ve seen that. Seven of Nine made a brief appearance at the end of Issue #1, but she actually has a really interesting character arc that’s very resonant.”

The second issue of Hive has been released and some may see a resemblance to a Voyager episode. “The reviews that I’ve read online have generally been very positive,” said Braga, “but if there’s one criticism, it’s that there’s some resemblance to the Voyager episode Scorpion that I did. The answer is, yes, there is a resemblance in that we’re making a deal with the Borg to defeat an enemy from another dimension.

“But the story veers into radically new territory in Issue #2. Everything is not what it seems with the Borg, and there’s a much larger game being played. Issue #2 is quite action-packed. There’s some really cool stuff and, as the series goes on – and I’m literally working on Issue #4 right now – it really, ultimately dips into some moral quandary for Picard having to do with committing an act of genocide and whether or not genocide is justifiable in any circumstance. It’s just classic Star Trek stuff.”

Star Trek: The Next Generation – Hive #3 will release next month, and #4 will follow in December.

View the full article