Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Ideas - Brainstorm

I want to keep StarTrekFans.net's Official Star Trek Trivia fresh. That's why I'm posting this topic.

I have asked over 265 questions (not to mention some other questions which I have not used here that I asked at another place where I also do trivia) and over 217 trivia questions in the chat room (wow).

Meaning I have asked around 482 trivia questions at StarTrekFans.net.

Even I'm surprised. Well, when I think of it makes sense - - - but still that's a lot!

Ideas I can apply to future trivia rounds:

*Web Hunt

I talked about this before. I see it a real possibility in the future (and maybe in the not so distant future). The only thing is it would probably take a while construct a web hunt.

-Star Trek Websites Hunt

-StarTrekFans.net Community Forum Hunt

-General Website Hunt

*Picture Questions

One thing I could do is pop in a DVD, capture a snap shot of a scene, upload it and then you would have to identify the episode.

*Audio Sound Bite Questions

Same as the "picture questions," but in this case it would be audio sound bites.

I think both ideas of picture questions and audio sound bite questions are a good idea. I might not do them now, but I will definitely do them in the future. And also when I do them in the future I'm not going to pick impossible to answer clips - they will be reasonable.

*More Group Weeks

One time we had everyone work together in answering questions.

Everyone once in a while we probably will do a few more of those, but I want to spice those up a bit more then last time . . . . . this specific one I would like to hear some ideas from all of you

*Newbie Weeks

Sometimes I hear "I can't catch up to high ranking trivia players." I hear you (don't worry) - that's why I am mentioning it.

One of the reasons I am now doing a week trivia winner is then anyone can get the chance to win. [Who ever gains the most points during the week wins and is the week's trivia champ. . . . .. . . And your real competition is yourself and beating your self and climbing up in the ranks]

What I could do every once in a while is have people that are below a certain score get the chance to catch to the high ranking people (but it will be something I do rarely). During a newbie week only people that have a net score less then "x" will be allowed to participate.

*More competitions

The very first competition is the Halloween one and I doubt many will participate, but if the other mods and I can bring up more far reaching competitions then I think it can grow resulting in more people participating in them. I'm going to try to push for StarTrekFans.net to do one competition every month (it would not have to be every consecutive month - there would be breaks / months with no competitions).

And in competitions even people that don't participate in StarTrekFans.net's official ST-trivia can get involved (but I don't know why someone would not want to participate in the trivia).

This is just a starter.

I would like to hear from the people that participate. I want to hear what you think of the official trivia and I want to hear your ideas. . . . . " "

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Maybe you could have an occasional guest "master" and diversify the topics a bit. By that I mean we have trek related trivia and physical science and math. I think other types of science and even cultural questions are trek related - and that would take some of the stress off of you.

If your web hunts are "live" I wonder if they'll disadvantage people with dial up?

I think group weeks are hard because we're all on different schedules - IMO but I'll think about it.

I'll reply to this before I log off for the day . . . .

First off doing trivia is not stressful . . . . . .well maybe sometimes when I'm tried, but overall it's not.

I agree different and more diverse topics would be a good addition. (And you got some this week.) I'll try to bring in some different "random trivia."

Guest hosts - I'm for that. If you remember back one time I was gone for a week and so Alterego became our guest host. Something from now till Christmas will probably pop up which will require me to take a week off and when this happens (and I'm sure it will) I'll probably get Alterego to host the week(s). (Unless he does not want to)

The web hunts do not necessarily have to be "live."

Master Q

Those all sound like great ideas. Though what would a web hunt consist of? Going to Google or some search engine and doing a search? Or going to a specific web site and browsing around?

And a StarTrekFans.net forum hunt? Wow, it would take forever to look through everything that's here!

The picture and audio trivia sounds interesting. It would certainly be a challenge! (And an incentive for me to watch more Star Trek episodes! ^.~;;)

I like TheUnicornHunter's idea of more diversified topics. I know the general focus is on Star Trek questions, but you always do at least one random question. Perhaps questions outside of math and science every now and then.

I can't think of any other sort of "theme," at the moment but if one comes to me, I'll be sure to let you know.

Wow... 482 questions? That is a lot! You're doing a great job here with the trivia. I always find it fun and enlightening.

I brought in something new into StarTrekFans.net's Official Star Trek Trivia. As you seen in question number 266 we now have anagrams. I believe adding some anagrams into the mix is neat way to keep the trivia fresh. I personally never have liked anagrams (in fact I hate it) but some of you might like it. For me it is difficult to play anagrams or something like that because I don’t make connections in words and letters (I’m more of a math/science person). I can play anagrams, but I have to be very focused and it is rare that I’m at that kind of state. (lol)

What other types of mini-games could be integrated into the trivia?

I would like to hear them!

-----

Also Note ~ Coming Up On 11/15

Alterego will be guest hosting. He is going to be doing some new stuff that I think all of you will like. Stay tuned for more info.

Master Q

I think I might introduce some audio sound bites this week! The sound bites will probably be in the format of RealOne. Once I post the questions with the short sound bites I'll also post info on where you can download RealOne if you don't have it ...

Master Q